Notices

Bitter and Angry

Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I sometimes wonder why I was dealt such a 'bad hand' in my cards of life. Mostly I have the urge to drink when I'm feeling bad and want to numb my feelings. I too have to 'play the tape to the end' to remind myself that for me there is NO 'normal' drinking. I will always drink too much and always feel regret and self hatred if I drink. So I just have to accept the fact that my genes won't allow me to drink at all. Besides, I like living sober much more than my drinking life. My worst day sober is far better than my best day drinking. So if I get the urge to drink I can weigh the pros and cons and see that I'm better off without alcohol in any amount.

:ghug3
Old 12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
where the light is

I used to be a guy who expected my life to be perfect. On top of everything else I had going for me, it was my right to drink. I was obsessed with the idea that I had to be able to party with the boys, go out for drinks after work, drink at football games & concerts, chill out on the deck with a few beers...I just couldn't imagine life without alcohol. Of course, every time I tried to enjoy drinking, I would eventually end up blacked out and/or out of control.

Early in my sobriety, I had to learn to accept that my life will not always be the way I want it to be. That being said, if my biggest issue today is that I can't have a beer, I'll gratefully take the hand I've been dealt.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The answer to the "why" question to me is simple: it's because I'm an alcoholic.

When I drank I used to fantasize about being "special" and "different".

Well, now I'm a sober alcoholic, that's kinda special right? Who'd want to be "normal" anyway?

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it too much and be envious of people who can drink normally, if you're anything like me, drinking is no fun at all if you think it through.... It's just not an option.

Remember that.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
Quitting drinking for me was like finding a life boat drifting around for no reason, but I hopped in. Sure it still sucks right now, but it sure as hell beats treading water with no where to go.
This is a fantastic analogy! Being in the life boat doesn't mean that we are saved, but we are in a much better position right! I've had 9 very pleasant days in the life raft so far .
Old 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I start to feel that way, I remind myself that I've consumed enough alcohol for 10 people over 10 lifetimes. I shouldn't be allowed to have anymore.

Not to mention, wondering "why" just makes me angry. Wondering "how" to move on makes me more productive.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have never really thought why me, as far as being an alcoholic, but other stuff that has happened in my life I have.

I think of becoming sober as a wonderful thing, finding AA, the spirituality and the people I have become close to. I truly feel like I have found my home, a place I truly am accepted and belong.

I am glad of who I am and where I am being led by my higher power. I feel there are no accidents, so the life I have led and the things that are happening now in my life are first things that had to happen for me to be the person I am inside and now where my higher power is leading me, because of my life experiences and the person it made me.

If I was not an alcoholic I would never have have met my AA family, might never have gotten this connection with my higher power (whom I chose to call God), and never have a brand new chance for life. For I know alot of people whom are not addicts who are miserable in life, they just do not drink or drug. I now know people who are truly happy inside, these people are people with long term sobriety, who work the steps on a daily basis and whom trust in a power greater then themselves.

An ole timer in AA said one day, there are still miracles and the people who find sobriety are truly miracles. For some reason we were chosen to live, so we are definitely here for a reason, and in time we will see our purpose.

Our life is partially what we make it, but I do believe that God has plans for us..how we lived is something we had to live to be the person we are inside now, we have been spared death, and given a chance of life, so I can never say why me, I rather say, Thank you for chosing me.

i hope I do not offend someone with my thoughts of my higher power, but that is how I feel, and I do understand that others might not agree with me. I am just stating how I feel.