Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I have no problem being sober. It's just... kind of boring. Now what?

Notices

I have no problem being sober. It's just... kind of boring. Now what?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Everyone is happy doing different things.....I personally am happier being out and about with other people and not sitting at home (alone esp)

It is amazing how sitting at home sober, with all this energy really sucks. I think I may sit and try and finish "Broken" a story about addiction and how he got through it, or one of my other 20+ recovery books I have not opened up yet Oh and do some laundry and vaccum, dammit maybe I do have stuff to do
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
Everyone is happy doing different things.....I personally am happier being out and about with other people and not sitting at home (alone esp)

It is amazing how sitting at home sober, with all this energy really sucks. I think I may sit and try and finish "Broken" a story about addiction and how he got through it, or one of my other 20+ recovery books I have not opened up yet Oh and do some laundry and vaccum, dammit maybe I do have stuff to do

magicman, you say you can't go to the gym, but you could do mad sit-ups & push-ups and maybe even find a way to work your triceps.....go jogging? is there a basketball court nearby? squats & lunges........some exercise can be done at home without equipment and will help burn off some of that energy you're experiencing now that you're sober.......
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The last critical step in getting clean is to have a life that does not revolve around alcohol. This basically means you are going to need to get a life. Alcoholic’s lives are all about when I can get drunk next. You’re always thinking I need to get this and that out of the way so I can go have a drink. Recovering alcoholics need to have something else be the focus of their lives. This is when they can move on. It can either be work, school, family, or anything else. For example: Someone goes back to school and is so focused on school and preoccupied with doing well in this that they forget about drinking all together. Their life is no longer spent constantly thinking about alcohol. They are constantly thinking I have to study for this final, I have to get out that resume, I have to go to that job interview. And just like that everything changes. Alcohol is hardly even an afterthought.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Im a little upset with this only bores get bored attitude.

I've been sober since the 8th of November and I was more or less drunk before that for 15 years so I feel like I can be forgiven if I havent built up a circle of witty sober friends or interesting hobbies.

I am only just finding out what I am interested in/good at and yes I get bored a lot as too much exhausts me both mentally and emotionally.

I can only stress that you should be a bit less ready to relate your own situations to other peoples.

Im not boring (I hope) Im struggling to learn to deal with life on lifes terms (to steal an AA phrase)