Notices

Scared of AA Meetings

Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We have information about AA meetings on our
Alcoholism 12 Step Support Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

Exactly what do AA members follow for recovery?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ower-post.html
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol for explaining. It confused the heck out of me when I saw it. I was like HUH?

Did any of our newbies make it to a meeting tonight? Speak up and let us know!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sicilia,

AA meetings are nothing like what you see on TV. I have never seen a microphone at an AA meeting and you do not have to tell your life story to anyone, or even say anything.

Here is a great link on what to expect:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
new and scared. :(

Hi all,

I just got back from my first meeting...I didn't like it!!! I hope there isn't something wrong with me.

It was just very uncomfortable..there were A LOT of people, about 50 or 60, everyone was nice but it was just weird. how they all say "hi nicole" and "thanks nicole" after everything...and then we got split up into groups and i was stuck with 6 men.

i really have gotten much more from this site than i did at the meeting. but i am NOT giving up, i am going to go again tomorrow and give it another try, just this time a different place. If 99% of people say that AA is the way to go, then they have to be right!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey there!

I'm glad you went and sorry you didn't like it. I think the whole Hi and thanks is standard. The splitting up into groups is not. I think that is individual to the group and type of meeting that it is. Our group is good sized (we probably average 35 - 40 people at our evening meetings) and we don't split up but I have heard of it being doine. Another thing to consider (and this is where your online local AA Intergroup could come in handy) is they may just split for certain types of meetings (say a newcomers meeting or a step meeting to allow more one on one focus whereas an open discussion meeting "may" not split up. Personally I don't knwo so you can either call your local Intergroup (which you should be able to find online but if not holler and we will find it for you) and find out.

I'm glad to hear you are not going to write AA of totally off and I am VERY proud of you for going!!!! Just remember that one size does not fit all and fortunately you live in a big enough place where you have choices rather than some po-dunk town where the nearest meeting is 50 or more miles away!

Keep it up and let us know how we can help, ok?

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Try different meetings. They are all different. I think small open meetings with 8 people are tailor made for the newcomer.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kellye C View Post
fortunately you live in a big enough place where you have choices rather than some po-dunk town where the nearest meeting is 50 or more miles away!
You are so right, I am so blessed and I need to be more appreciative instead of whining and complaining about my bad time.

it wasn't all totally bad... it was interesting to hear people's stories and see how happy they all looked being sober.

it was just that entire hi nicole, thanks nicole chanting that i think i need to get used to....when they did it the first time, i actually giggled out loud and everyone looked at me. i was so embarrassed.

i am also scared because the experience was sooo stressful and nerve wracking that i actually REALLY wanted a drink when i left. i wanted a drink more tonight than i have this entire week. that feeling scared me a lot.

but i will press on, i will go again tomorrow because i believe and trust all of you that it helped.

thanks again for being there for me, as usual.

Last edited by sicilia1414; 12-04-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
Try different meetings. They are all different. I think small open meetings with 8 people are tailor made for the newcomer.
I plan on going to one tomorrow night that I think is going to be a much smaller one. hopefully that will be easier.

and what is the difference of open versus closed???
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

An open meeting is for alcoholics and non-alcoholics. They have over 3,000 meetings in the Chicago land area a week. It took me about 326 meetings before I found one I liked.

tib
Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
An open meeting is for alcoholics and non-alcoholics. They have over 3,000 meetings in the Chicago land area a week. It took me about 326 meetings before I found one I liked.

tib
Hey tib, thanks for the info. thats what i thought but I wasn't sure. I don't see why a non alcoholic would want to go to an AA meeting?

well, i will go on another journey tomorrow at a new place!! thanks again.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by sicilia1414 View Post
I don't see why a non alcoholic would want to go to an AA meeting?
People who have chemical dependencies to drugs other than alcohol often go to AA meetings for support if other groups are not available. Also, you can bring a friend or family member to an open meeting.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by sicilia1414 View Post
Hi all,

I just got back from my first meeting...I didn't like it!!! I hope there isn't something wrong with me.

It was just very uncomfortable..there were A LOT of people, about 50 or 60, everyone was nice but it was just weird. how they all say "hi nicole" and "thanks nicole" after everything...and then we got split up into groups and i was stuck with 6 men.

i really have gotten much more from this site than i did at the meeting. but i am NOT giving up, i am going to go again tomorrow and give it another try, just this time a different place. If 99% of people say that AA is the way to go, then they have to be right!!
try a womans meeting?

It's one way to feel comfortable and to be "safe"
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Kellye C View Post
Just remember that one size does not fit all and fortunately you live in a big enough place where you have choices rather than some po-dunk town where the nearest meeting is 50 or more miles away!
I have a 35-40 mile drive to go to meetings, but once I get there, I have a pretty good choice of meetings. There is even an atheist & agnostic meeting where there is no prayer and talk of God.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
try a womans meeting?
I wanna go to a womens meeting!!!!

Somebody please slap me...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Kellye, thank you for this. That first meeting can be incredibly scary. Say, "Hey, I'm (your name) and this is my first meeting." You will be immediately surrounded by friends.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I wanna go to a womens meeting!!!!

Somebody please slap me...
Ok, you have been slapped. Gently of course cause I happen to like you but slapped nonetheless. Roflmao!!

Kellye