Notices

The Big Book

Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Book

Does anyone else find that it helps their cravings. I've heard of people just grabbing and reading the bible, but I go for the BB. Whenever I'm craving (which is constantly) I hit the Big Book.

There's your higher power, whatever get's you through the cravings. It doesn't have to be G.O.D.

There was some venom in this post and I apologize in advance. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've found something that works for you Tex
I musta missed the venom tho? LOL

D
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Big Book always helps me,every time I pick it up I always find something to help me relate to the way i'm feeling and it always makes me feel better. It always takes the craving away.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did not detect any venom in your post. I am glad you are sober now. Your "higher power" is your business,and no one elses. Keep posting.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess the combination of the big book, AA, and my higher power are warding off my cravings and obsession.....and I thank my higher power for all of this happening in my life.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The venom (I guess) was all the "I don't need God or a HP" posting on this board lately and my acceptance of one.

I'm feeling kinda hypersensitive today. Gotta hit a meeting.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hebb.....Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For anyone interested.....you can find the Big Book on line
It's what we AA members use for our recovery.

Big Book On Line

Thanks TB for sharing yhat is working for you
Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Glad you found something that works Tex.

For me, books don't do much when I want to drink. I look at books as static lectures forever frozen in time. I dig the Bible and the Big Book and both help to stay sober but not to get sober (ie neither help when I'm craving but when I'm not they help to strengthen my defenses).

Being around people is my best therapy - it doesn't matter if they are an alcoholic. When I'm really struggling, sitting down to read a book usually exacerbates my desire to drink (I'm a bit high strung as it is).
Old 12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find it very sobering to read the personal stories in the Big Book and realize how alcoholism hasn't really changed that much with the passage of time. The original was written in 1939 and the stories are divided between those who stopped in time and those who lost nearly all. We still have people that get off the alcoholic train at all different stops along the way. Some ride the train to the end of the line and lose almost everything while others get off at the first stop and lose nothing.

I find it interesting that those who got off the train at the first stop and lost nothing are often criticized as not being "Real Alcoholics" or the real deal. To an extent it almost seems like a badge of honor if you lost everything and totally screwed up your life as opposed to someone who caught it early and lost nothing.

I often wonder how differently my life would have turned out if I had gotten off at the first stop as opposed to having ridden the train to the end of the line.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BTSO I got off the train just before it went over the cliff! LOL The only thing I think that has changed about alcoholism since the writing of the BB is there are more people that are aware that alcoholism is not due to a weak will or bad morals today then there were when it was written.

The "Doctor's Opinion." was years ahead of its time, back at the time of the writing of that alcoholism had not been classified as a disease by the medical community, the medical community had no idea that there were actual physical differences between an alcoholic and a non-alcoholic, today they have scientific proof of that.

One thing I find interesting about the BB is that every time I read it I find something new, something that had no real meaning to me before I see a great deal of relevance to now.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Absolutely Texasblind. That book is so calming, I love it. It is partly the way it is written in slightly old fashioned language.
I try and read it every night before bed, even if it is just a paragraph, whether I'm craving or not.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
One thing I find interesting about the BB is that every time I read it I find something new, something that had no real meaning to me before I see a great deal of relevance to now.
Like many others, I highlight passages that I find especially important. Recently, at a Big Book study, I was reading and I noticed that the only thing I had not highlighted on page 84 was "Love and tolerance of others is our code." I couldn't help but start laughing at myself. I felt like such a idiot. Yeah..that just might be important..

One of the oldtimers smiled at me and said what you did highlight kept you sober that day...everything is good. I'm leaving that sentence un-highlighted, it stands out that way .

I am finding that it is true when the oldtimers say that the answer to every question you have is in the Big Book. I only confuse the issue when I look elsewhere.