Notices

scared

Old 11-28-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

scared

I have been reading a lot of posts lately about the effects long term alcohol abuse has on our brain, liver, and nervous system. I am getting really freaked out!!!! One post in particular about a girl who died at the age of 22. I am 23 and I was a weekend binge-drinker from the age of 18-21 and then more frequently for the past 2 years. Three-four nights a week going out and drinking a bunch of drinks and ending up hungover. Anyway, how long does it take for damage from alcohol to occur in the brain and liver? What are some signs to look out for. I read about people on this site who said they were all-day every day drinkers for 5+ years and then other posts about people who seem to drink heavily every night for two-three years and end up dying! I don't intend to drink again but right now i am worried that i may have done severe damage to my liver/brain/whatver.

Sorry if this post is a repeat from others in the past...but any insight on how your health improved or deteriorated after quitting would be helpful. Also, I know Ill probably get a few comments to go to the doctor, but i cant face that quite yet
Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

One thing that you can be certain of: if you don't pick up a drink, you won't have to suffer the physical damage that alcohol can cause. What will harm one person might not cause any harm to another. But even in the bodies of non-alcoholics, alcohol is poison. It just happens to produce euphoric effects that we seem to think are our rights as adults to experience. The bottom line is that, for all the positive medical benefits that we hear small amounts of alcohol can have, the negative effects outweigh the positives.

I came into recovery with some serious liver damage (not quite cirrhosis) and a damaged pancreas. My liver has recovered and my pancreas has been quiet for a long time. I do have short-term memory issues, but I can't blame alcohol when there are so many other chemicals that may have caused it (or the combination). I have neuropathy, though no doc has ever signaled out alcohol as the cause (it's most likely a contributor). Ultimately, you stop doing alcoholic damage to your body when you stop using alcohol. What you can recover from that point depends upon how much damage you've done.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-28-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When you really want to know where you are
physically and mentally....Yes...an honest talk with
your doctor is the correct thing to do.

A simple blood test can tell a professional a lot
but only if you are honest about your drinking

All my best....and Yes! you too can recover.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, RG.

When I went to the doctor in June, I bawled my eyes out. I was embarrassed, but they didn't mind. I made myself go (I was having premature heart beats that were scaring the crap out of me--had them now for a year). I told them about my heart and my drinking, and they ordered blood work. Please get it done so you know what your numbers are.

I'm curious, what's holding you back from going to a doctor?