Notices

What was your biggest fear...

Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking, I had a tie between two fears: My biggest fear was drinking. My other biggest fear was not drinking.

Now that I'm sober, my biggest fear is finding out that I'm a good person, that I can be useful, and that I'm worth something.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My biggest fear is the next bender I go on.......they all seem to get worse/longer/more destructive. The detox is crazy uncomfortable and lasts longer every time. Good news is I can avoid this fear by not drinking at all.

So my biggest fear is in my own hands.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My biggest fear while drinking was never being able to drink again. My biggest fear in sobriety is alcohol. I never want that lifestyle back again!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My biggest fear is that I won't hit bottom. I've been doing this so long now, it's down to a science. It's not always rocket science... sometimes it's Ben Franklin with a key and a kite... But I am cursed with understanding my addiction, and rather than abstaining, I work terribly hard to keep it moderated and under control... if you can call my drinking habits "moderated" that is. For me, it is less than it used to be, but it's so abnormal. I fear I need something traumatic to happen before I can see the light again...
Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My problem (fear) is boredom.

I've been drinking (heavily) since 12, and I'm now 26. I can't even think of the braincells I've killed since my glory days. I used to be smart -- I think-- and now I have trouble remembering the simplist of things. It's a brain eradicator (booze) but somehow, it seems to make everything soooo clear.

Anyway, my biggest fear is losing complete sanity. I've always been "exceptional", or a "freak" whatever you want to call it, but to lose your mind is a terrifying thing indeed.

Keep it. Lose the booze. Your braincells want to LIVE!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My biggest fear was sobriety, after 40 years of drinking I had no idea if I could even function sober, I did have one fear bigger then sobriety though, that was dying a slow death from alcoholism.

I look back now and see how my fear of life damn near killed me, you see I have found that when I was drinking I was not living, I was existing, it took time and the steps along with my HP and a lot of support from others and help as well, but today I live life!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

My Biggest Fear is Standing in the front of a Room weather be in church
or a the Rooms of a/a or n/a and taking the Mic and having to Speak
Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Going to an AA meeting...still haven't gone to one, still think I don't need to in order to get better. Scared out of my mind that even though I know I"m an alcoholic, it will actually sink in and it seems like that is just around the corner.

Scared of my feelings, Scared of so much right now...
Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

That if I didn't help myself, nobody would notice I needed help and help me.

Part of the reason they might not have noticed was due to the fact that I was so good at hiding it as a problem in the first place, so with me doing so much to prevent others from noticing and helping me, the only person left to help me, was me.

In the end, that's the way it had to be.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
6/20/08

My biggest fear was getting sober. How could I possibly function without beer?

Now, my biggest fear is being drunk. Can't even go there.

Amazing how things turn out, isn't it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

What was your biggest fear...

Biggest fear: Living an incomplete life.

Knowing that I had unfulfilled dreams, desires and goals. Drowning it away with more and more alcohol. Too much for too long.

Now I am dreaming again. Making and achieving goals. Making plans for a future that will be a source of pride and satisfaction for myself and my loved ones.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I totally relate to that fear of running out of liquor, there was never enough for me. Now my biggest fear is the first drink, cause that's the one that will kill me one way or another.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My biggest fear when I was drinking was blacking out. It happened all the time even though I tried so hard to avoid it. I hated waking up and not having any idea what I did the night before.

Now my biggest fear is dealing with social situations where everyone I'm around is drinking and I can't.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone...

I split this thread...because both topics deserve their own space.
To find more shares about meetings...please click here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-meetings.html

thanks for sharing...
Old 12-07-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

One my biggest fears in early addiction treatment was: did I wait to long in life to enter recovery. I thought I had gone past the point of no return with my addiction. But with the help of caring others and a solid treatment plan, even a strung out speed freak alcoholic like I was could recover.