Notices

I do not want to find God

Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

He's with me, hang on i'll ask...
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allport View Post
The starving in Africa are waiting for him babe where is he!!
If modern society doesn't care about about starving children in African countries then I doubt its conception of God will either. Suburbia, CNN, Myspace, football games, electronic gadgets, and stocks don't leave room for starving childtren in Africa.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I get you Eroica but he spends too much time hanging around aa rooms,why isnt he around where he is really needed.

Alcoholism affects me and you but starvation affects a lot more people, are we special? do those people deserve to die, you tell me!

w
Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
maklay

I would rather believe, have something to look forward to, then not believe and be wrong. Eternity sure is a long time to be wrong.... 100 years isn't hard to just believe.

....sure I have questions, I don't know if I've ever met a Christian who doesn't have questions.

But, I've been wrong before. I believed in Santa, Peter Cotton Tail, and the Tooth Fairy and none of them ever showed up. However, I was able to account for all their gifts, I just found out it was my parents who were the heros. Now how to I account for all the gifts and miracles in the world? There's something else out there...

However, I don't judge those who don't. I wouldn't want someone judging me for believin'

Maklay :ghug3
Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allport View Post
I get you Eroica but he spends too much time hanging around aa rooms,why isnt he around where he is really needed.

Alcoholism affects me and you but starvation affects a lot more people, are we special? do those people deserve to die, you tell me!,

w
Yes I agree with you. No matter how awful the pain of addiction is, it can't compare to the day-to-day suffering of those who don't have enough to eat.
It really blows my mind away that there are still so many people in the world dying of malnutrition when we have enough resources to feed them, while we're worried about eating all natural products with no trans fats while popping pills. There's some kind of cosmic defect there, and its totally sickening. Anyway. Relying on God to help you not take a drink seems trivial when He's not answering peoples prayers for food.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Eroica tell that to the people in aa they seem to think their sobriety is the beginnning and end of it all.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

LOL, I agree with you, but you guys are headin' for a lockdown...
Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Go then shut me down lol

If there is a god he is a ****
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

allport...there are people here who do believe in God...me included. While I do not believe that sobriety is contingent on the belief in God I still believe and find it makes life a lot easier if I don't make blanket statements.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I lived in an African country for 2 years, most devout Christians I ever met in my life, and I grew up in an evangelical hotbed. Belief in God made their days more bearable but certainly did not put food on the table or kill the HIV in their blood. In fact many were being told that condoms had no place in a Christian's life. So if you are a woman whose husband works in the capitol city and comes home once a month, God doesn't want you to ask him to put a condom on. Yeah... things got a lot easier for me in AA when I left the Abrahamic religions out.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

God is with me all the time at the moment so i think you are putting too much pressure on him, when it is your turn allport you can do the right thing and forego his help and send him to africa!

Last edited by yeahgr8; 02-22-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: removing my own comment
Old 02-22-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

This kind of debate is what I was talking about. No one gets helped by assinine, supposedly intellectual debates or so-called critical thinking.

You want God to be alive in your heart, take action. Do as The Carpenter instructed, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless. Just get up off your asses and take action. Be the salt of the earth, add to the stream of life.

I'm in AA and my sobriety is number one, but because of that I can be socially active in my community. But I also believe that the best way to effect a change is to be the change. It starts in your heart, not your head, and flows out from there.
Peace,
Jim

Last edited by jimhere; 02-22-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Jim, to clarify, my two years in Africa were spent as a health volunteer in a tiny, impoverished village. With all due respect, _you_ get off _your_ @ss.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
Jim, to clarify, my two years in Africa were spent as a health volunteer in a tiny, impoverished village. With all due respect, _you_ get off _your_ @ss.

To clarify, did it occur to you that maybe you weren't one of the ones I directed that post at? Nor do I recall seeing you being one of the ones doing all the debating and "critical thinking."
Old 02-22-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I didn't know God was lost...yuck yuck yuck.

The God I grew up with is nowhere near the God I use in my recovery program.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

are we done yet?
Lets go help some newbies.

D
Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
To clarify, did it occur to you that maybe you weren't one of the ones I directed that post at? Nor do I recall seeing you being one of the ones doing all the debating and "critical thinking."
Then next time flame more specifically.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Not even close to flaming.

But Dee is right.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

One of my best counselors in rehab called his HP SAM (sure ain't me).

I don't have all the answers, just the answers for what works for me most of the time.

Part of the joy of recovery for me was finding a HP and a program that works for me.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I want to give up the drink without him. I know that many people find salavtion in him, but I've never bought into teh concept of religion and I'd like to quit of my own accord.
LOL

I did want to find God. I went to AA and searched for God for many years. Ultimately, I became an atheist.

Try reading "The Small Book" by the Rational Recovery folks. Try reading the Women for Sobriety stuff.

If you're open to Buddhism, try reading "The Zen of Recovery."

Good luck.