Notices

Dry Drunk

Old 11-26-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Dry Drunk

What is it? I had a member explain it to me, once (Thanks, E!), but I don't think I fully understand...or maybe I'm hearing it differently, now.

I sometimes hear it in context with AA, which I don't use.

I feel absolutely fantastic.....am I a dry drunk?! If so, I guess it's a good thing?!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In AA we refer to a dry drunk as an alcoholic who stopped drinking but does not follow a 12 step recovery program. A dry drunk continues to have the same behavior as when they were drinking. A recovering alcoholic/addict attempts to repair the damage of the past and improve their behavior/actions towards others. I often have heard a recovering alcoholic say that before working the 12 steps and a program of recovery that they were just as miserable as a dry drunk as when they were practicing alcoholics.
They say it was good for awhile but it did not last long.
Only you can decide if you fit that description just like an alocholic can only define themselves. Hope this helped. Best wishes and LOL!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ooooooh, now I get it! I gotta join a club or I'm a dry drunk?! I'm just kidding, of course. And I do thank you for your explanation, dog.

It is interesting. I'm 5 months sober (!). I don't use AA. But, my sobriety is the absolute most important thing in my life. I read about it constantly. I'm very aware of choices I could make and HAVE made.

This gift of sobriety is not one I take lightly. It has taken me years to get my act together, and I'm so very glad, I did...or am!

Again, thanks, dog, I appreciate your response.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Ooooooh, now I get it! I gotta join a club or I'm a dry drunk?!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Door, that was me Before I quit drinking!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hay! Big Congrats on the 5 mo! I bet it is an awsome feeling. One thing I do know is that you are and I am responsible for our sobiety, you got yourself sober and you keep yourself sober. Awesome! hmmmm, I didnot say you were a dry drunk. Only you can say that.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

well,I been there
when it happened,my head was a mess.Anger turned into rage,nothing could satisfy me.No spiritual program or mental help,just no booze.Some call it untreated alcoholism.It was the most miserable time of my life
Old 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
It's not a term I use....but perhaps ...
If you Google Dry Drunk you may find all sorts of
opinions/definations/ideas.
Years ago...About dot com. had an interesting article
on the subject. It might be in their Alcoholism Archives.

Good to know you are enjoying your sobriety...
I certainly treasure mine.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use the term. It's negative and condescending.

As I'm not a member of AA and a non 12 stepper, I would presumably be a dry drunk to many AA members - and naturally I dispute that

D
Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think that step work is necessarily the antidote to being a Dry Drunk. In my mind if you have quit drinking yet still suffer the spiritual malady referred to in the book then you are a dry drunk.
I believe it was Father Martin who stated "If you sober up a horse thief, you end up with a sober horse thief"
Simply put, Alcoholism is but a symptom of our problem. Take away the alcohol and we still have our problem.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Very interesting, Pink. I do agree with Fr. Martin. Same analagy as "just because you are in a church, doesn't make you a christian".

But what is our 'problem'? Selfishness? Sneakiness? Doesn't that cover a lot of the population? Aha! As an alcoholic, I guess we can't know until we clean up our messes? Gotta say, I am enjoying the clean up process, as much as the sobriety.

Good discussion, all! Happy Thanksgiving! I'm blessed to 'have' each of you in my life.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Bballdad....I'm not understanding your post? Although I do understand the rage part. I think I'm most amazed that the rage I have felt for years....is gone! Imagine that, I medicated it for years to keep it at bay. I quit medicating it, and it went away!

Are you sober, now, may I ask?

Oh, and you ARE that important.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't use the term. It's negative and condescending.
Ditto.

As I'm not a member of AA and a non 12 stepper, I would presumably be a dry drunk to many AA members - and naturally I dispute that
I do attend AA, but have no spiritual beliefs, so don't buy in to the 'spiritual malady' concept.