Notices

Back to day 1 AGAIN!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to day 1 AGAIN!!!

Here I am back to day 1 !!! I fell off the wagon again and feel lousy. The monster on my shoulder tells me it's OK to have one drink. And we all know it never stops at one. Oh well it's from today forwards - one day at a time. I think I must be a very spoilt or selfish person who thinks I "deserve" a wee drink. When the desire hits me it get's it's way. It really does help to go on this site a lot and read other posts and to post myself. Thank you everyone.
Today is the beginning of the rest of my life. :praying
Old 11-26-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Julesy
I'm back to day 1 again and it's getting to the time of day that I'd normally reward myself with a wee drink (a reward for whatever it was I had to do that day - work, an assignment, anything really!). And I bumped into a friend earlier who is keep for a ****-up on the weekend, just to rub salt in the wounds! I'm not actually telling people that I've quit drinking (which I'm sure many people will say is a bad thing) but I don't want to go around publicly announcing that I have a problem...probably not the recommended thing to do....
But, more importantly, good luck! Here's to 27/11/08 being the day we both quit alcohol once and for all =o)
Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back Julesy and lis79

For me to finally stop...
regardless of anything else that was going on
I had to want to quit more than I wanted to drink.

I do use God and AA for staying sober.

Glad both of you are here again...
Yes! you too can recover.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carol summed up perfectly what I was thinking so I won't repeat it but I did want to post and offer you both support as you start your sobriety journey again.

Please use any and all resources available to you that you feel comfortable with to help you succeed.

Big hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

How long did you have sober and what brought you to that first drink back?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i am right there with you....

i fell as well and i know how you feel. look at the bright side....i fell really hard and it has been going on since nov 8th and it has gotten up to about 12-18 beers a day. when i say a day, i mean from the time i get up to the time i go to bed. at least you aren't in my boat. i am detoxing on saturday and am as scared as i can be. i will pray for you and i hope things work out for you
Old 11-27-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
where the light is

Julesy, lis79, and shay:

My experience is that I had to fully accept that there is no upside to drinking, that I will never be able to enjoy alcohol. Sucks at first but not that big of a deal anymore.

Two things: I needed help - AA, SR, supportive family members & friends. I also needed to do things to replace the drinking times & to keep my mind off of drinking (the possibilities are endless - AA meetings, fitness, internet, and visiting people are some of the main things I did).

I honestly believe that I have had a major mental and spiritual shift. My eyes were opened to the true wonders of life, the possibilities. Sobriety isn't perfect but it sure blows away that drunk-hangover-obsession cycle I was stuck in.

Best wishes!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind words, ideas and support. It all makes sense and I really want to have a life without drinking. I lasted 2 months last time and I felt wonderful. What encouraged the slip was a holiday in Australia with a friend who tho not a problem drinker - a drinker none the less. Hey Liz79 you and I can go hand in hand here. Yay - we're onto day two now!! I also have trouble telling people I don't drink, but I have to tell myself their reactions aren't my concern. I am an active outdoorsey person and the drink really imposes on that lifestyle. I honestly want to stay sober more than I want to drink. (thanks Carol). Looking forward to continuing postings with you all.
Kind regards,
Julesy.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Gravilty & Julesy

Yay, no hangover today! Am really liking this advice:

"I had to fully accept that there is no upside to drinking, that I will never be able to enjoy alcohol. Sucks at first but not that big of a deal anymore."

I think this might be my new mantra!! I was worried that I'm not going to be any fun anymore cos I'm a bit reserved normally (and completely outrageous when I'm drunk). I'm more positive now about being able to find a happy medium between the two once I get a bit more familiar with my sober self, if that makes sense!

And it's ridiculous that I'm thinking about scenarios that are months away (eg a friend coming to visit next November) and I'm already lamenting the fact that I won't be able to have a drink and I know that it's just a ridiculous attitude to have! So, I'm doing the one day at a time thing and that's definitely helping. I'm getting my hair done today and then tomorrow I'm starting an exercise regime (wait that's not one day at a time, LOL) =o)
Old 11-27-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck to you all! We are glad you are here and support you on your journey!
Keep it simple and keep it in the day! You can do this!!!

Wishing you all peace!
Lisa
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lis79 View Post
Hey Gravilty & Julesy

Yay, no hangover today! Am really liking this advice:

"I had to fully accept that there is no upside to drinking, that I will never be able to enjoy alcohol. Sucks at first but not that big of a deal anymore."

I think this might be my new mantra!! I was worried that I'm not going to be any fun anymore cos I'm a bit reserved normally (and completely outrageous when I'm drunk). I'm more positive now about being able to find a happy medium between the two once I get a bit more familiar with my sober self, if that makes sense!

And it's ridiculous that I'm thinking about scenarios that are months away (eg a friend coming to visit next November) and I'm already lamenting the fact that I won't be able to have a drink and I know that it's just a ridiculous attitude to have! So, I'm doing the one day at a time thing and that's definitely helping. I'm getting my hair done today and then tomorrow I'm starting an exercise regime (wait that's not one day at a time, LOL) =o)
Gosh I know just what you mean about thinking about scenarios that are months away! I am wondering how on earth I am going to survive when I see my friend in 6 months for our yearly camping trip! I am just not going to think about that now, I will worry about today and when that day comes I will deal with it! Now I just need to make it to my pillow sober and everything will be ok.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Expert Beginner

Originally Posted by Julesy View Post
Here I am back to day 1 !!! I fell off the wagon again and feel lousy. The monster on my shoulder tells me it's OK to have one drink. And we all know it never stops at one. Oh well it's from today forwards - one day at a time. I think I must be a very spoilt or selfish person who thinks I "deserve" a wee drink. When the desire hits me it get's it's way. It really does help to go on this site a lot and read other posts and to post myself. Thank you everyone.
Today is the beginning of the rest of my life.
Giving up booze is EASY !!!

I should know, I've done it at least 2 dozen times this year !! oO

I know that monster on your shoulder. I've even given mine a name, Damian, from the Omen movies. Has a way of tricking me into thinking some of the silliest things which at the time sound so convincing...

So here I am, almost 7 days sober AGAIN... I just hope that Steve doesn't listen to Damian because Damian is not worth listening to..

Good luck, every day sober is still a day you didn't drink..
Old 11-29-2008, 02:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Steve...good to see you here again
....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Expert Beginner

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Steve...good to see you here again
....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum!
Thanks Carol, I kept the place bookmarked and have been thinking about everyone here the past few months, and since things for me (at the moment) are looking reasonably good I just felt it was a good time to come back, hopefully to share some hope and optimism !! I know everyone that I spoke to when I was here before did help me so much with just a few kind words, I can't thank them all enough !!