Notices

Why do many perfectionists become alcoholics?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
My sponsor once observed that I was a perfectionist. I laughed! My house was a wreck, my kids weren't wearing matching socks, and I don't think I had a shower yet that day. But, it's not the manifestation of perfection she was referring to. It was my desire for perfection. I couldn't argue with her. Oh, I could, but since I couldn't craft the perfect argument, I let it drop.

That drive has followed me into recovery, though I've made some progress in allowing myself to be who I am, not who I think I should be. I'd say this past three months or so has been the most productive in that respect. Acceptance, or rather, lack thereof, is so much a part of what drives the alcoholic perfectionist syndrome. We want things to be the way we want them to be--and will bang our heads till they bleed trying to make them that way. Luckily, we have folks to show us how not to do that.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

Thanks Sugah! I could totally relate to this! Not a perfectionist but running around in circles trying to be. Now I seek progress not perfection...I have finally taken the "S" off my chest!
In Peace & Love,
Lisa
Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I was definitely a perfectionist and a control-freak, long before I began to drink.

I really had no idea that was either, but I fell far-short of perfection.

My belief is that being a perfectionist and control-freak is exhausting and hopeless. It made me angry and depressed in my life. I had to 'let go' in order to get better.
This is eerie! I was just going to post that I was a control freak and a perfectionist (to a degree). Anna beat me to it!! I haven't been able to quite let go yet. Work in progress though. Interesting thread.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Why do many perfectionists become alcoholics?
the low self esteem bit...

and that quest for sex, society and security...

Normal perfectionists are often high achievers in life...

Perfectionism is usually a good trait whether you are a banker, athlete, artist, actor or builder, because it makes you good at what you do...

For example, many professional athletes score highly on perfectionism....

Neurotic perfectionists - never feel that they have done their job well enough...

They are very intolerant of mistakes and extremely self-critical...

Neurotic perfectionists who criticise themselves excessively, put themselves at risk from psychological and physical disorders including:

# Depression
# Alcoholism
# Social phobia
# Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
# Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD)

parts from... "Seeking perfection"

Nobody's perfect
Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I dunno' guys. When is it "perfectionism" and when is it just "unrealistic expectations"?

Being able to understand the difference has made my acceptance of life easier.
This is perhaps my biggest struggle in sobriety. I also am a perfectionist and for anyone who is familiar with the DiSC profile I am the "perfectionist" pattern. My personal life was like what Sugah described so I found it surprising when I discovered this trait. At first I was quite proud of it but now I have come to realize that for me it can be a defect of character if misapplied.

Like Peter, my job requires that I do as close to perfect job as I am capable of. I do some corporate event planning which requires lots and lots of logistical planning, contingency plans, and dealing with people who are at the very top of our corporation. My biggest fears have been being blamed for something going wrong or that was not my fault or people not following "my plan". It all drove me quite crazy.

I also turned these expectations on myself and those around me. My sponsor was always saying things to me about being too hard on myself if I made a mistake and wanting to do the program perfectly. I wanted 20 years in 20 months!

This past year I have tried to learn the difference as Peter put it up above. I still strive for perfection
When planning the logistics of an event BUT I have learned to take it in stride better when something doesn't go quite right. I just have to keep saying the serenity prayer over and over and over again.

I also am working on learning to just go with the flow instead of getting upset with people if things don't meet my expectations. I'm trying to learn to curb expectations because I have been told that expectations are a premeditated resentment.

Anyway, great topic!
Kellye
Old 11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

kell
I'm trying to learn to curb expectations because I have been told that expectations are a premeditated resentment.
lol, and no point in set'n ourseves up...

Great Expectations!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by gantz View Post
Do you think it is because we want everything in our life to be perfect and when we cant have it that way we just think - the hell with it, I just drink then to destroy everything?
The opposite for me. A perfect life had to include alcohol - the after work beers, the bar scene, drinking at concerts/sporting events etc. I wanted it so badly (obsession). I think a major reason why I could not accept my alcoholism is because I could not accept that my perfect life was unattainable ("life is so unfair" was my usual cry). I just had to keep trying over and over.

After I accepted my alcoholism, I then had to accept that sobriety + AA equals a much better life but not a perfect one.

Be grateful for what I have, keep my expectations realistic, keep doing what I am doing. Life is not perfect but it is good.