Notices

the things i see as a bartender in manhattan

Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the things i see as a bartender in manhattan

i had a man tonight drink three 7 ounce Manhattans straight up made with Blanton's, which is like 94 proof. he never changed his behavior, never got loud or talkative, just enjoyed his dinner with his wife, watched the Jets game, then went to a concert. he was charming and normal acting. what is the deal?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My name is alcoholic&Im a Walt

For me the deal is today I don't have to think about what is wrong with that dude I don't have to stick my nose and wonder if he is alcoholic or not....because i know i am
SERENITY PRAYER
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am thankful I never have to go there again.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by walt55054life View Post
For me the deal is today I don't have to think about what is wrong with that dude I don't have to stick my nose and wonder if he is alcoholic or not....because i know i am
SERENITY PRAYER
That's what counts!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmm, I wonder if back in the days of going to the bars, that the servers or bar tenders sat wondering or thinking..that girl is a alchy....or how can she drink all that..hmmmm.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
i had a man tonight drink three 7 ounce Manhattans which is like 94 proof. he never changed his behavior, never got loud or talkative, just enjoyed his dinner with his wife,then went to a concert. he was charming and normal acting. what is the deal?
No deal.

Some people can handle it......some can't...........
Old 11-24-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

He probably drinks a lot and has built up a hell of a resistance.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

he probably weighed about 300 pounds. his wife drank water. and yes, we bartenders def. talk about who the alcoholics are...we have to watch what we serve or we can be liable. management watches us watch them.

by the way, today is my second day sober. i was drinking a bit too much, then stopped, then started. stopped, started. it was hard because my boyfriend was always bringing alcohol in the house even though I asked him to support me in my sobriety. he just had no idea that meant don't bring home beer!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Codie No More.

Hey Pam and shugabooga, I'm a codie from NY (bronx). I never been to the alcoholism forum, I'm always at the friends and family of alcoholics forum.

I'm kinda new to this, always had the idea that alkies were male. the world of someone I really care about is a alkie is something thats been troubling me.

I would like to ask you some questions. I never went to bars before I met her, especially bringing a female to a bar as a hang out spot seemed low class to me and it still is.

one of the questions I have is that this local bar she brought me too, the bartenders are female yet they aren't oblivious to the fact she has a issue yet they still serve her. this just hurts me because I know shes not doing it for fun but to abuse herself.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've read about different types of alcoholics. A lot has to do with ethnicity and the ability to produce an enzyme that breaks down alcohol. I'm sure there are some folks here who know more about that. I was like that guy. I think a lot of folks I know are surprised to learn I even had a drinking problem. My liver knew I did.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I not only got looks of amazement but I consumed enough when I was out with friends that bartenders would ask me directly how I was able to do that and still seem sober! And I weighed about 157 and worked out constantly. I didn't become a frequent drinker until much later as well.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I handled the alcohol pretty good myself. Drugs were my downfall. I had a high tolerance when it came to drinking. Could drink most folks under the table. Not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. I do know that once I had a couple drinks in me, I couldnt stop. So I stopped.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drained22 View Post
Hey Pam and shugabooga, I'm a codie from NY (bronx). I never been to the alcoholism forum, I'm always at the friends and family of alcoholics forum.

I'm kinda new to this, always had the idea that alkies were male. the world of someone I really care about is a alkie is something thats been troubling me.

I would like to ask you some questions. I never went to bars before I met her, especially bringing a female to a bar as a hang out spot seemed low class to me and it still is.

one of the questions I have is that this local bar she brought me too, the bartenders are female yet they aren't oblivious to the fact she has a issue yet they still serve her. this just hurts me because I know shes not doing it for fun but to abuse herself.
many women are quite comfortable coming to bars together or alone to eat or drink. usually a woman alone will eat. a lot of time it is business women who have to entertain as part of their high positions and they are with large groups and paying the tab.

i have no problem going out to eat alone, whether i would drink or not. i like my quiet time to eat what i want, read, and leave exactly when i want. it's not really all that low class, especially in an urban setting like new york where there are so many neat places to check out, why pass by a great looking thai restaurant or deli just because you're alone and hungry?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I used to drink like that guy,but what everyone did not see was what happened after i left the bar
i would find another,and another
untill I got insanely drunk
Old 11-26-2008, 02:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Must be quite a challenge to be in recovery yet be surrounded by drinkers.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Believe it or not - MOST people on this earth can drink alcohol in large quantities without being alcoholic.

3 seven ounce Manhattans? That is like 14 shots worth if I am not mistaken (if a shot is 1.5oz fl.). A large amount indeed - but drinking alcohol doesn't make someone an alcoholic.