Notices

Tip for new quitters...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tip for new quitters...

Seems as though in very little time after stopping the drinking, the situation arises in where you will find yourself in a social situation where it is expected to have a few beers/drinks. Maybe a work meeting, friends get together/barbeque...anthing social where everyone expects you to drink.

I have found that some people are uncomfortable saying "I am an alcoholic", so here are a few things to say when in the uncomfortable position:

"I found out I am allergic to alcohol"
"Doctor has me on some meds which will make me sick if I drink"

I figure we can gather some good reasons to bring up to friends/associates as to why we suddenly are not drinking. I know that a true friend will support you, but sometimes easy to just make something up and leave it at that. Any other good liners out there folks like me can use...(this could be considered a serious but fun thread).....this could help some people out there.

lets go help me out with some more
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by tjhook View Post

"I found out I am allergic to alcohol"
Forgive me for making light (I know you are posting in all seriousness), but I just can't help myself.

I've used the above comment, and inevitably, someone will ask, "Oh, what happens?"

My reply? "I break out in handcuffs."

It's an old drunk joke, but there's a dead seriousness in it!

Keep on keepin' on, tjhook.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My name is alcoholic&Im a Walt

IM ALLERGIC TO ALCOHOL I BREAK OUT IN HANDCUFFS

but on a serious note I don't put myself in that situation b/c it's simply not worth my soberity. If I am going to an event where I know there is alcohol I first check my motives for going and always make sure I can leave if I get uncomfortable......

I can always say I'm not drinking tonight (because in AA it's just for today so that way I'm not lying either way) but like I said in my 6 months of soberity I have yet to find a situation where I was expected to have a few drinks because normal people don't expect to have drinks it's my perception!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Forgive me for making light (I know you are posting in all seriousness), but I just can't help myself.

I've used the above comment, and inevitably, someone will ask, "Oh, what happens?"

My reply? "I break out in handcuffs."

It's an old drunk joke, but there's a dead seriousness in it!

Keep on keepin' on, tjhook.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

As I was typing u beat me too it LOL!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have said I am trying to drop a few pounds and when I drink I eat like crap when I get home and the whole next day when I am hungover.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I never bothered with evasions
I was ashamed of being a drunk.

"No thinks...I quit and attend AA"

makes me proud.

It also might get another
considering their drinking patterns.
I've had that happen too...
Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish I could sleep I should be exhausted. But Im not. I just feel so worthless. I have a thousand thoughts floating around in my brain. Have you ever felt that way.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I know this is a situation where people SHOULD be proud they quit/attending AA, but just for kicks I thought some of you might have some good one-liners to make people say 'wow, that is a good reason"
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by camellion View Post
I wish I could sleep I should be exhausted. But Im not. I just feel so worthless. I have a thousand thoughts floating around in my brain. Have you ever felt that way.
Yes, a lot recently.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Could alway say "I don't think you would like it if I started drinking because there wouldn't be any left for you"

or "I don't like to drink and you wouldn't either I might steal you wallet or your wife"

"Drink? nah I don't drink on (whatever day it is) because I have a spin class early in the morning"
Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by camellion View Post
Do not regret the past nor wish to close the door on it.....

just forgive yourself!

say a prayer and if you have a big book read pages 193-199 and be grateful!

I hate to say it but this too shall pass
keep comign back
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

wow i like that one, i break out in handcuffs...yes, i still have a bruise from those handcuffs.......no fun, let me tell you.

one girl in college just said it made her too thirsty the next day....

but definitely the one about it making you eat all day the next day, that is the darn truth!

i'm the designated driver.........even if you're bussing it or cabbing it or walking!!!!

it is actually more fun sometimes to stay sober and watch what happens...people drink on purpose to make something happen....so they can hook up, get laid, act silly, dance like a fool.

oh well, i should get some sleep everybody. good night, sweet dreams and god bless.

shannon
Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

but definitely the one about it making you eat all day the next day, that is the darn truth!
I don't know I usually just drank more the next day forget eating I got a bottle
Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't drink, end of story. Many people don't drink for a variety of reasons. Jehovah Witnesses and 7th day adventists don't drink, Muslims don't drink, some people abstain for health. I don't think you have to expand upon it. Some people will question you, I tell them because I choose not to. The people who will pester you beyond this point usually have a problem themselves. If they persist, ask them why does it bother you that I don't drink? I usually find this has them running for the hills.

Personally I don't think it is wise to announce you are an alcoholic at work. You may not be viewed in a positive light & it may affect your career. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just say No Thanks or NO
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I attend a great many functions where alcohol is served and have simply made a habit of saying "no thanks, I would have a soft drink or soda water with a lime." If someone asks "why, don't you drink?" I tell them I am an alcoholic and stopped drinking alcohol a few years ago. I found out that ladies who have had alcoholic relationships will jump all over that reason and as a single guy, JUST ONE MORE GIFT OF AA!!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'm in a creative academic setting right now, and alcohol is everywhere. I pick and choose where I go. If I detect that the only purpose for a function is for everyone to get wasted, I stay away. Although I try not to judge, I have respect for a lot of these folks and the work they do. I'd rather it not be filtered through the Friday night lens of watching them play drinking games.

When there is an event I want to attend and I'm asked if I want an alcoholic beverage, I simply smile and say "No thanks." I have yet to have someone try to bully me into drinking.

I don't know if you're familiar with Father Martin--I saw a lot of his talks on video when I was in rehab. Most of the other rehab-ees used the time to sleep, but I loved Father Martin. I would catch dirty looks for laughing out loud at his bad jokes. He said he had a surefire way to make sure that, once a person offered you a drink she or he wouldn't offer a second time. He said when you're offered a drink, smile and say, "No thanks, but I'll take the money." He promised you wouldn't be asked a second time!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I truly enjoy the simple, no thank you. I have no need to explain. A freind of mine tells me I use too many words as it is.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I just say, no thanks I don't drink alcohol. Most people never give it a second thought. Sometimes I've said "Oh, boy, you don't want to be around me if I was drinking" or something to that effect.

I've met a few friends in recovery this way, "are you a friend of Bill W's?"..amazing how many of us are out there!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

dont go out ..problem solved

seriously i just say im giving it a miss ....i darent say 'i dont drink' because i know that may come back to haunt me one day !!

or i drive and that negates the issue .... 'im driving' end of story