Notices

Tip for new quitters...

Old 11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

for me, i don't see why one would feel embarassed to say they have a problem.

i just tell people i quit drinking because i have a drinking problem and drink the mix.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Isn't it funny how we all feel embarresed to say we don't drink? I mean, would we be embarressed to say no to crack, heroin, smoking, etc.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i don't feel embarassed to say i have a drinking problem or with the fact that i am trying to quit drinking. don't see why you would.

i feel embarassed WHEN i drink with the way i act and behave.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for this thread. I'm not embarassed to say that I don't drink - i actually really respected people who i met in the past that didnt drink. i am only 23 and AM embarassed to say "i am an alcoholic." i havent told anybody even though people probably figured it out because of my behavior when drinking. i am still sort of in denial about it...i know i have to go to AA but i am not quite ready yet. the reason i would rather use an excuse like "i am allergic to alcohol" instead of telling complete strangers or coworkers that i am an alcoholic is because of the stereotypes alcoholism has. i am afraid people will judge me, consider me weak, or it will take away my credibility in a professional setting. i feel that i will eventually be okay with being an alcoholic, but that doesn't mean "normal" people care to understand alcoholism. i am just being honest i am not trying to offend anyone. it was nice to read how to other people politely turn down alcohol. i am graduating from college in two weeks 8 and will be attending many social engagements where alcohol will be around. ill need to pull out one of these excuses instead of picking up a glass of champagne.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostSoul79 View Post
i don't feel embarassed to say i have a drinking problem or with the fact that i am trying to quit drinking. don't see why you would.

i feel embarassed WHEN i drink with the way i act and behave.
This thread was made to hear some interesting thoughts on possible reasons for refusing a drink OTHER than the obvious.

Not a big deal ok.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

heh...my bad.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

When I first quit, I had all sorts of things to say. Funny how now I just say no thanks and no one has EVER asked why. lol. I am the only one obsessed with my not drinking.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
6/20/08

When I first stopped drinking I was Very worried someone would 'know' I was alcoholic. I haven't shared that with anyone except my husband.

So, I would say, "I have a stomach ache" Or, "I'm on an antibiotic, I can't drink". It was always something to do with health, so no one would push me.

Now, I just say I don't drink anymore. I had a dear friend ask why and I just said I'm getting to old for it. I'm just not ready to 'out' myself, yet.

I understand what you are asking, hook.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I simply say no thanks now too and/or I don't drink if pushed a little further. Usually doesn't go past that but if it does I go ahead and tell them the truth. I have been told I am one of the most upfront people about my recovery that they have known.

Because I travel for work I wanted my co-workers to know so that it would add in that extra measure of accountability.

I have in earlier days used the whole medication angle as well as I'm driving and I need to head somewhere afterwards.

Hope this helps!
Kellye
Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just to clarify the thread........in no way am I saying anybody should be ashamed of or at all times hide the fact that they do not drink due to alcoholism, quite honestly I REALLY look up to people who have had struggles and are fighting back....I am one.

I worked as a bartender at a golf course in college, and the golfers who did not drink because they told me they are alcoholics gained my respect in a big way......so I would never look at someone as weak or admitting defeat by telling it the way it is, just curious as to alternatives in the case (and they do happen sometimes) when someone wants to know your life story after using the word alcoholic.....sometimes I would rather say something else and just leave it alone, which is where I came up with the thread topic.....curious what others said if anything when/if in that type of situation.

Thanks for the responses all..........stay sober.