Notices

Finally rock bottom

Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally rock bottom

I had a dui last year, went through the system and was going to get it dropped to wreckless driving if i was good for two years. 1 year later I just got another one flipped my car lucky to be alive. I was doing good had quit drinking for quite a while and now have messed it all up. I dont know what is going to happen but will probably end up in jail.

Just bought a car as I need to get to work and the head gasket blows up on the drive home. Im next to no money left and in jeopardy of losing my job.

I am a very good person when I do not drink. So why did I drink? For a quick buzz.

You may not believe me but I NEVER want to touch a drop of alcohol again I know it isnt to blame because I made the choice. My family is disgusted with me and so am I. I was thinking bad thoughts at the beginning like an easier way out but that is not the answer.

I must finally come to terms, I am an alcoholic.

sorry, just needed to let some steam out. Im just glad no one was hurt.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Glad no one was hurt, too. Good luck and sorry you had to learn the hard way. Sometimes that is what it takes, unfortunately.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there, The easy way out is never the answer. You came to the right place and its a big step you took by coming here. You will get a lot of support from people that are going through the same things you are. It's nice to know that we arent the only ones out there struggling with the demons alone. I am on day 15 and it has been getting easier for me.

Keep posting messages and you will be amazed the support that comes back your way! Keep your head up and just know that things will get better for you.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the support. I kept thinking my life was over if I couldn't drink I realize now however my life will be over if I continue to drink.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and Keep coming back! It is true this is the place to be for support! Also if you can get to an AA meeting in your area and talk to another recovering alcoholic, that really helped me! But rest assured you are not alone, we have all been there!!!
I wish you the best and hope to hear more from you!

In Love & Peace,
Lisa
Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the beginning of your new sober life...
Yes! you too can learn how to live sober
I think of AA meetings as classrooms for sobriety.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

al
I realize now however my life will be over if I continue to drink.
or someone else's...

welcome to the family alcoholic al...

hey, for me, i'm one too!

and the buzz of learning how to live life , handle life, and enjoy life without a buzz...

is the one of the miracals...

good wishes al

rz
Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. It's the madness called alcoholism... I have it as well. I'm 33 and have spent 17 years trying to drink "normal". I can't do it and I got fed up a week ago today. Hang in there. Like many have said, there is a difference between being dry and recovering.

Best of luck!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. glad you found us. Your not alone, we all have skeletons in our closets, I think it is positive that you posted here and acknowledged that you are an alcoholic and looks like your life has become unmanageable!!!
I hope all works out okay with the legal stuff...What I would adivise is keep posting her and reading others postings..but big thing I suggest is Find an AA meeting..go to it..listen..and go back...get yaself a sponsor, do what the sponsor says and you will see light at the end of the tunnel. Keep coming back, we are here for ya..
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
My name is alcoholic&Im a Walt

You may not believe me but I NEVER want to touch a drop of alcohol again I know it isnt to blame because I made the choice. My family is disgusted with me and so am I. I was thinking bad thoughts at the beginning like an easier way out but that is not the answer.
Let me first say that I am 22 years old and will have been sober 6 months on the 29 of nov. I have gotten 3 dui and nothing changed until I wanted to change and until I could admit I was an alcoholic and was powerless over that first drink!!!!

and Yes bro I feel ya' one thing that helps me and other alcoholics who have admitted they are truely powerless is that I don't have to think of it as I'll NEVER drink again because that is too much for me instead I just won't drink for today! Sometimes for the next 10 minutes.
A suggestion is finding a temporary sponsor my first sponsor understood that I just was going to hire him until I stuck around and found someone else that I could really relate to. I lucked out and shared my first meeting after treatment and a group of guys surrounded me after the meeting and gave me a temporary sponsor. If your not as lucky I would recomend going to a meeting and when they ask if anyone is new to soberity share your name if you'de like and say you are looking for a sponsor!I can about garuntee people will come up to u after the meeting because through them helping you they stay sober and they also truely care unlike my drinking buddies!

Thanks for sharing Al and keep coming back and let us know how your doing

alcoholic named walt and if you want to know more about me just ask and tell me more about your experience it helps me stay sober as well
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey all, thanks for the kind words. met with my attorney today, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I truly never want to touch a drop again, serious this time.:sorry
Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi I'm glad no one was hurt - you say there may be light at the end of the tunnel after meeting with your attorney. Does that mean no jail time? I hope this doesn't change things in light of your willingness to get sober? Have you given thought as to how you are going to stay that way? If you're an alcoholic like me, you'll need more than your own willpower - mine failed me miserably, again and again.
Good luck - and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

doesnt mean no jail time it means treatment that would keep me so I could work while staying sober, finally facing this demon.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

just wanted to say welcome. keep posting, and also reply to other people's posts and give them support too. thank god no one got hurt in your accidents. drinking and driving is no joke. it's fun when you're doing it and the music is on and you've got that drink or cigarette going, but afterwards, the damage is devastating. good luck and prayers to you and good luck with keeping your job. i've found that every alcoholic is much better sober, myself included. i've found that reaching out and saying hello cheerfully to each co-worker that i see at the beginning of the day makes a big difference. they all know what's going on with me. but if i act like a baby then i'll cry, so i have to be brave and sincere and helpful to my teammates at work.

i haven't been able to attend AA meetings because i work at night, but we have plenty of drinkers on my job, some now sober, and i can talk to them. i also have some other friends who are sober that i can talk to.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

your family is disgusted with you? that is not the right kind of support you need. as they say, love the person, hate the disease. my parents and brothers are alcoholics too. do you have any other history of alcoholism in your family? you can't possibly be the only one.

get a sponsor at an AA meeting if your family won't support you. i hope your attorney is compassionate as well. again, best wishes.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
My name is alcoholic&Im a Walt

Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
just wanted to say welcome. keep posting, and also reply to other people's posts and give them support too. thank god no one got hurt in your accidents. drinking and driving is no joke. it's fun when you're doing it and the music is on and you've got that drink or cigarette going, but afterwards, the damage is devastating. good luck and prayers to you and good luck with keeping your job. i've found that every alcoholic is much better sober, myself included. i've found that reaching out and saying hello cheerfully to each co-worker that i see at the beginning of the day makes a big difference. they all know what's going on with me. but if i act like a baby then i'll cry, so i have to be brave and sincere and helpful to my teammates at work.

i haven't been able to attend AA meetings because i work at night, but we have plenty of drinkers on my job, some now sober, and i can talk to them. i also have some other friends who are sober that i can talk to.
They do have AA meetings during the day!