Notices

3 relapses

Old 11-22-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rumble young man rumble

3 relapses

Just as i thought i was getting on top of this problem i find myself relapsing not once not twice but thrice lol. In all seriousness tho ive really disapointed a few ppl that r really close to me n worse still i betrayed the trust i put in my own will power. The fight continues tho....

we each fight our own battles but we all fight the same war
Old 11-22-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are struggling. You say you betrayed the trust you put in your own willpower, is that your plan for staying sober? Are you doing it on your own?

All I can suggest is to sit down and evaluate what happened, what caused you to decide that taking a drink was a good idea and then plan how you can avoid it in the future.

I know for me I could not do it alone. God knows I tried but I failed miserably at it. I had to have the face to face support of AA. I know that everybody is different and finds their own path, I just needed to be around people who understood, who could help me and support me by sharing their experience, strenth and hope with me and by going to meetings instead of home to drink in isolation every night.

I didn't find SR til a year sober but this is a great resource as well.

I hope you figure things out and get yourself lined out again,

Best wishes,
Kellye
Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find the answers you need. Have you tried AA or any other support group?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR...

Do you have a plan for your new sobriety?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too found I couldn't do it based purely on willpower...not to say I haven't had a couple of times in the last year where I had to "white knuckle" it and just don't drink if your **s falls off...but that is rare.

I have found that sobriety is a we thing...SR, AA are what I use to stay sober...which also means finding a new way to live my life so that I am comfortable with my choices.

I had to white knuckle it a while back, and finally got to the computer and went to chat and grabbed someone I knew a little and talked to her for an hour...it's alot easier to do this as a we thing
Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi rj, welcome to SR. I can relate to the relapses, I did 4 times from when I started detox..each time was a one day episode and each one got worse and worse....last one was it for me, I fear death or nuthouse if i kept on drinking..so it is going to work this time, I have no choice. I found this site, and going to AA everyday,,sometimes when i can twice. I have reconnected with my higher power, whom I do call God, and I pray every morning, every night, and during the day. I pray and say the serenity prayer over and over.....for now the obsession for alcohol has subsided. I am not thinking about it constantly, it crosses my mind occasionally but i dismiss it, I pray to have the desire leave...
You can do it...today is a new day, one day at a time, keep posting and reading here, and I advise you to go to AA, so much support there, and you will see your not alone.. as you said, we are all fighting the same war.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Back when I was young and not a raging alcoholic, I was able to achieve most of my goals with diligence and tenacity. If I had an important test for school or work I would cram for it a week or to ahead of time using maximum diligence. If at first I did not succeed, I tried, tried again till I accomplished my mission using tenacity.

When I finally got around to figuring out that I was alcoholic, I attempted to use my same old tools; diligence and tenacity. I read all the best books on recovery, I went to the best AA meetings and I sought out the most respected sponsors. When I failed to achieve lasting sobriety I simply blamed it on my lack of diligence and tenacity. I sought out even better books, meetings and sponsors. Still I could not stay sober.

It was almost as if I had been thrown into a parallel universe where almost everything was the same except where my will-power was totally useless. I finally came to realize the significance of the term Higher-power. Diligence and tenacity were my power and what I needed was a power greater than myself.