Notices

Day 5

Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Today was my 5th day without alcohol and a lot of things seemed to go my way. I landed my biggest account at my job in the 8 months I've been there and I diffused a normally hostile situation with my boss by trying to see my part in it.

One thing I've already learned from AA is to evaluate my part in all situations. I have an ex wife who took me back to court for full custody of my son. You know what, I had a part in creating that. When my boss has gotten upset with me in the past, I did things to cause it. When my wife gets on me about certain things I have a part in it... I know this seems elementery to many of you but this is honestly a brand new skill I've developed.

Today was a very good day. I worked a full honest day, went to a meeting, had my son, tucked him into bed, and when he woke up and called for me I wasn't brushing my teeth first so he couldn't smell booze. I am in such a better place than I was five days ago.

I have gone to meetings and can tell you that I think I've got step one locked down. I no that I am powerless over actual alcohol and the idea of alcohol. Simply thinking about it gets me going right now. I need to get a sponsor and really dive in, but for now this site is a great help.

Thanks to everyone, and I will not drink tonight!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hughs dad View Post
Today was my 5th day without alcohol and a lot of things seemed to go my way. I landed my biggest account at my job in the 8 months I've been there and I diffused a normally hostile situation with my boss by trying to see my part in it.

I have gone to meetings and can tell you that I think I've got step one locked down. I no that I am powerless over actual alcohol and the idea of alcohol. Simply thinking about it gets me going right now. I need to get a sponsor and really dive in, but for now this site is a great help.

Thanks to everyone, and I will not drink tonight!
Congratulations on another day of sobriety. Just take it one day at a time, as in "I'm not drinking today......"

I'm going to tell you that if you are a true alcoholic, which you admit that you are, step 1 is a step we have to practice every day. It is a 100% step, and there are two parts to it....the first is "we admit we are powerless over alcohol", and the second is that "our lives had become unmanageable." That's something we can never forget.

Going to lots of meetings especially in early sobriety is important because you go through a lot of changes during that time. Some days will be better than others, some days will be pure hell.

I could tell you a lot about picking a sponsor, but even if you get a list of numbers of people to call, thats a good start. Try to call at least one every day, read the book, start at the beginning of the book. I know that newcomers are eager to get into the program and work it. If you are an alcoholic, you will likely be in it for the rest of your life if you want to stay sober, so don't be afraid to take your time, but work an "active program."

"First we "came", then we "came to", and then we "came to believe"
Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are making progress...
Keep moving forward
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad your doing so well, gives hope to all of us. Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great, upbeat post! Thank you for sharing it! I'm glad you had a great day and you have gotten some great advice already. One of the first things I remember hearing when I was brand new and didn't have a sponsor yet was the 5 simple things to do every day to effect a spiritual change.

1. Pray
2. Make a meeting
3. Read the Big Book
4. Talk to another recovering alcoholic
5. Do something for someone else expecting nothing in return

Keep up the great work and hope to see the positive posts continue!

Take care!
Kellye
Old 11-22-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1. Pray
2. Make a meeting
3. Read the Big Book

Thank you for the above advice. I will definitely refer to this often.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kellye C View Post
What a great, upbeat post! Thank you for sharing it! I'm glad you had a great day and you have gotten some great advice already. One of the first things I remember hearing when I was brand new and didn't have a sponsor yet was the 5 simple things to do every day to effect a spiritual change.

1. Pray
2. Make a meeting
3. Read the Big Book

Keep up the great work and hope to see the positive posts continue!

Take care!
Kellye
I like that, I pray, make meeting, read somedays in big book, talk to another rec alchy at meetings..I try to do stuff for others if someone needs me....that is a good start, huh? now i need to do the steps.. ....
Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great! Glad you found it helpful. I was so lost when I got there I needed simple. I had to have time for the alcohol to clear my system and the fog in my head to lift and for me to get past my shyness. These things I could handle. These things I can still go back to and it is so easy to remember.

Best to you both!
Kellye