Notices

Just for today

Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just for today

I just joined here and today I have been sober for 77 days.

I attend between 3 and 5 meetings a week and started in a church on Sundays about the same time I quit drinking. I had dabbled in AA before but never quite got the hang of the program. When I would relapse it would be harder and the things that were happening got a whole lot worse. In the end, it accelerated so rapidly I didn't see it. Amazing how that works.

I figured that if I was ever going to have the "spiritual awakening", I had better find a place that specializes in that, which for me was a church. Now suddenly its all coming together and I truly understand how the program works, and how I work my program.

Even though I am still not back at work and owe a ton of money for the bills I have had to borrow to pay back, it's so worth it to be where I am at today with my program.

Alcoholism was about ready to kill me. 6 times in jail, for stupid drunken things like disorderly conduct, and 2 trips to psychiatric wards last spring....there was only one place I had not been, and that's six feet under.

Yet I was not an alcoholic.....I never had a DUI, never went to bars, just drank at home, never drove drunk, never showed up drunk for work, etc, etc.

If you can show me one social drinker who can consume 3 5 liter boxes of wine in 2 days, or two full fifth's of vodka in 22 hours, I'd like to meet them.

In the meantime......I'm not drinking TODAY.......I'll deal with tommorow when it gets here.

And for all you newcomers to sobriety, you've come to a good place here in this forum. Lots of good advice on here.

"You can't have faith and fear at the same time"
Old 11-21-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Jimmy.

I don't know much about the social drinkers -but I found alcoholism in 2 things:

I couldn't stop once I started
I couldn't stop from starting.

A bit of a quandry eh?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your new life...

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimmy2K63 View Post
Yet I was not an alcoholic.....I never had a DUI, never went to bars, just drank at home, never drove drunk, never showed up drunk for work, etc, etc.

If you can show me one social drinker who can consume 3 5 liter boxes of wine in 2 days, or two full fifth's of vodka in 22 hours, I'd like to meet them.
You sound just like me. Although I left my full time job for a part time job so that I could spend more time drinking, lol!

Didn't lose much in terms of material things, but I lost my soul.

I got it back though. I owe my life to the people in AA.

Glad you're here