Notices

Da, da, da, dat...you say it's your birthday..

Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Da, da, da, dat...you say it's your birthday..

2 Years today. What a long strange (wonderful) road it has been. Thanks to all who have offered support here. Too many to name, but special nods to Carol and Taz. I just check in not and then and rarely post but I am still lurking and not drinking...cheers my friends!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!! I see the two years and so want that!! I will be there in two years..
Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Russel 2 years!!!! Man that is awesome!!!!

BTW I love your sobriety date, it is my belly button B-Day.

One very important thing Russel, your supposed to share how you did it on your anniversary!! So I will be waiting patiently as you type it for all of us to peruse.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well Taz since you asked...
Like just about all of us it took many attempts. I would go for a couple of days or even a week and convince myself that I did not have a problem because I could in fact quit anytime I wanted. But, I always came back to the drink, each time it was more and more difficult to go a day without. I guess I had almost resigned myself to the fact that I could never quit. I felt crappy, but I was getting through the day and keeping a job. I was functioning. Then, without warning I had a friend admitted to the hospital. I never knew she drank. Like me a closet drinker. She died a month later from cirrhosis, kidney and liver failure. Just like that..gone. I saw the pain and anguish the family went through and realized like a bolt of lightning that it was just not about me and that I could not put my family through this if I could help it. I was scared to death! I just stopped. I found this forum, and others and read and read and read. I was coming to this forum dozens of times a day to post and read. It really helped. Once I got through the first couple of months (and it was tough) I found it got easier every day. I cannot believe I waited this long to quit. 15 years I put up with less than I deserved for what?
Maybe it was easier (or harder, who knows) because I was a closet drinker. My social group never envolved drinking so that did not have to change. I feel for those who not only have to quit but totally change their friends to get through this. I guess I am rambling but it does feel good. Anyway, the support offered here is great. Realize that by responding to posts you are actually helping more than just the OP. It helps us all. That said I guess I should get my sorry butt back here more often.
I remember early looking at your posts (Taz) and thinking you had been sober so much longer than I had and thinking there was so much difference in our time. Now I notice the difference is a matter of weeks but when you first stop a matter of weeks seems like years. Thats it, in a nutshell. I am one of those who quit on my own. Not recommended for eveyone, but it can be done. The trick for me was to educate myself on the disease and participate (albiet via internet forums) in some sort of support group.
Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for writing your story Russel. I too am pretty much a closet drinker..my husband, my adult kids and a couple of friends knew..my family didn't...so not drinking is not a social problem for me..i can go to bars and not drink..weddings..etc...no problemo..as I isolated drinking, i used it to cope with life.....Intersting to hear stories..always have some sort of connection even if the story line is different.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea Pam I would hardly ever drink in public. Just to sit around and sip a glass of wine or 2 seemed like amature hour for me
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy for you on your two years.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your New Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LOLOL know the feeling...When I tell someone how much I can drink they are amazed..i could drink alot of men under the table and I am not a huge person...never get sick, and other then drinking alot of water and eating carbs the next day, no hangover....scarey to think of that...hope you keep posting..you ole timers are an inspiration to us..
Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by Russelrb View Post
Then, without warning I had a friend admitted to the hospital. I never knew she drank. Like me a closet drinker. She died a month later from cirrhosis, kidney and liver failure.

I was scared to death! I just stopped. I found this forum, and others and read and read and read.

I am one of those who quit on my own. Not recommended for eveyone, but it can be done. The trick for me was to educate myself on the disease and participate (albiet via internet forums) in some sort of support group.
Thanks again!
Wow! That is my story also. I totally tripped on 8-25-08 when I found out a friend was admitted to the hospital with cirrhosis and other complications. I was hung over when I heard the news and looking forward to happy hour. I never had that next drink.

Blew my mind because this person was my age, gender and size! In reasearching her illness, I discovered this site. What a life line!

Thanks for your share! Congratulations on your sobriety and strength!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Thanks for the great share Russ . Im sorry bout your friend also Big Congrats on 2 yrs of Soberity its a great thing , Your share touched me . again thank you ! Endzy
Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Awesome Russel....I am sooo excited for you!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Our SR Stories of Recovery Forum is for members with 1 year
or over to share/post their journey.

Why not consider shareing there too?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 2 years, Russ. Well done.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
P38

Congrats! Me too, Nov 15, 06. We're gonna celebrate next Tuesday...Locals stop by Fayette New Beginnings(Georgia), 7, eating meeting, Candice is the speaker.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Russell thanks for sharing your story. I have 5 months today and did it on my own (with help from the forum), too.

I hope you 'delurk' and help us newbies out....we need you!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the kind words and support. You guys (and gals) are great!