Notices

Booze and facial breakouts?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze and facial breakouts?

For the past 4 or 5 months, whenever I drink more than three alcoholic drinks my forehead will break out with tiny little pimples. I've experimented with it by not drinking for a couple weeks and I've noticed them clearing up, only to reappear when I drink a few.

I'm 38 and never had this happen in the past, even when I was drinking a lot more than I have recently. Has anyone else here had a similar reaction to alcohol?

I'm sort of happy to have found this out because it's another reason for me not to drink! Oh, the vanity!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

I haven't had that problem but years ago I worked with a woman who did. She wasn't an alcoholic but she didn't drink at all for exactly the reason you've described.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you again....

The tops of my ears turned bright red and hotto my touch
everytime I drank for maybe a year before I quit.
I never did figure out why...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Touch-

I've never had this happen to me but it is well known. Google it and you'll find all kinds of stuff. It is more prevalent in Asians evidently.

Deerwalk-

No, what is said about water for a clear complexion?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot, everyone!

dgillz, I think what deerwalk meant is that drinking H2O is good for your complexion.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never heard anyone say anything about water and a clear complexion.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

drinking alot of water helps keep you healthy, inside and outside, it flushes out the bad stuff...I do not think not drinking water would cause pimples but sure does help keeping the system clean..
Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

My forehead would break out in big gashes that matched the bloodstains on my bathroom
fixtures.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol might make you feel sexy, but it sure is an uglifier.

I'm only 22 and I have a mess of broken capillaries around my nose. Not to mention the 30 pound weight gain.

Deerwalk, how does alcohol affect hormones? I'm curious.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

When your forehead breaks out it's usually from oil dripping onto your skin. Maybe you are sweating more when you drink or your hair in touching your face or you are wiping your forehead with your fingertips.
It has nothing to do with alcohol itself.

If you get breakouts from the nose down it's usually hormones or again touching your face with your fingertips or your hair touching your face (oil)
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My name is alcoholic&Im a Walt

I'm alergic to alcohol.......everytime I drink I keep breaking out in ahndcuffs!!!
Sorry a guy in a meeting always says that I thought it fit perfect!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was drinking my body would release extra histamines making my face feel itchy and I would touch my face, thus making it break out.

Now when I find myself on phone trees or using it often my face breaks out. I found that keeping my hands clean and wiping my phone with those electronic wipes cuts down on the breakouts.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hay guys, do the broken capillaries ever repair themselves?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deerwalk View Post
I think certain hormones are produced in the liver and so it affects them when you drink. but don't quote me on that.
You're right! I ended up looking it up. It turns out that your hormones are definitely affected and it has to do with the liver.

"In premenopausal women, chronic heavy drinking can contribute to a multitude of reproductive disorders. These include cessation of menstruation, irregular menstrual cycles, menstrual cycles without ovulation, early menopause, and increased risk of spontaneous abortions (6,21,22). These dysfunctions can be caused by alcohol's interfering directly with the hormonal regulation of the reproductive system or indirectly through other disorders associated with alcohol abuse, such as liver disease, pancreatic disease, malnutrition, or fetal abnormalities (6)."

If it does all that, I can only imagine what it can do to hormones in relation to break-outs, painful PMS symptoms, and probably even secondary sex characteristics like the breasts.

The same article mentioned that alcohol abuse can increase the risks of osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease in post-menopausal women and can reduce testosterone in men, leading to "feminization" of men, for example breast enlargement!

This sure backs up what I said earlier about alcohol being an uglifier! I think I might make this research a little project of mine: the ways alcoholism makes you ooogly! Probably won't convince alcoholics to quit, but it sure would give the vainer of us incentive not to pick up!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol made me break out. But I'm not sure how much of it had to do with the alcohol, or with the fact that I didn't take care of myself (shower, eat, etc).

But I will say that my skin looks much better now! The "glow" came back after I was sober for a few months.