Notices

Help

Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I just went on a 4 day bender which finished last night around midnight. I did not go to work today because I am still drunk. I don't feel nearly as bad as I think I should, but I'm very scared. My sister is coming over to be with me.

I have a lot of anxiety right now. I feel like I might die. What should I do? Just stay home and rest? I'm done guys. Done drinking. It's killing me. I have to stop.

A part of me wants to go to the hospital but I have no real condition that would require it except for feeling of guilt, shame, and humiliation.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe make a Doctors appt ? Tell him you want to stop drinking but you can't..
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, I know that feeling of being scared, not feeling hung over, anxiety...guilt and shame got me and fear of dying or being locked up in the psych ward, This last time I knew one or the other was goingto happen if I continued. Hospital would probably want to get you in detox, some hospitals have them within the hospital. I would go see a doctor, maybe detox center, rehab, find an AA meeting and go, keep posting here. find a support system. We cannot do it alone, we need human support and our higher power. I hope you feel better, I know how you are feeling, been there. it does get better....:ghug2
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hughs dad View Post
I have a lot of anxiety right now. I feel like I might die. What should I do? Just stay home and rest?
You might indeed die. Alcohol detox is the most deadly detox there is, about 7 times the mortality than heroin or other opiate detox. Going to see the Dr is a darn good idea.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I made a doctors appointment and got in that same day. You can see a PA or whatever, it's a lot less expensive then going to the hospital. The medication a dr will give you for alcohol detox is the same medication for they give you for anxiety.

While you are waiting for your dr appointment get to an AA meeting.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This can be the final time you de tox
Your correct...active alcoholism is progressive and fatal.

You might have your sister read the top sticky post
here...so she will be alerted to the danger of de toxing.
I'm glad you will not be alone.

Yes...an ER or your doctor is the wisest course of action.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that you feel so terrible. Glad that your sister could be with you. And I so know what you are feeling, the anxiety, guilt, depression, etc. I would wake up in the am in a panic, get sooooo sad. Horrible feeling I don't want to have anymore. I started to feel that way after every bad binge I had. That is when I knew that I had to do something, that alcohol was winning. And darnnit, I was not going to let it win! HD, you can do it! Get to the doctor if you have to. It gets sooo much better sober. Come on! We are here for ya! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hugh, my friend I pray you have seen a doctor by now, if not please do.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Going to the dr. today. Made it through yesterday. Went to a meeting last night. I have an appt. today at 12:00. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's a good idea....and so was the meeting.

Thanks for the update
Old 11-18-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're still with us, HD. Keep us posted on your progress. You will start to feel better soon. That will NOT be the time to return to drinking. Return to your first post here and see the desperation in your words. You don't need to return to that.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hugh 2 good moves my friend, the doctor and a meeting. Just keep in mind that the doctor is for the short term and the meetings & steps are for the long haul!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just went on a 4 day bender which finished last night around midnight. I did not go to work today because I am still drunk. I don't feel nearly as bad as I think I should, but I'm very scared. My sister is coming over to be with me.

I have a lot of anxiety right now. I feel like I might die. What should I do? Just stay home and rest? I'm done guys. Done drinking. It's killing me. I have to stop.

A part of me wants to go to the hospital but I have no real condition that would require it except for feeling of guilt, shame, and humiliation.
I know some people in AA through sponsorship that live in Indianapolis. Would you like me to put you in contact with them?
Jim
Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jim, Yes. Please do. Thank you so much!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So glad you made appt with doctor and went to an AA meeting, they are the first steps, take it one day at a time. We are here for you.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Went to my 2nd meeting tonight. I still feel hungover a little bit, but I do feel better. I was perscribed some meds to take the craving for booze away. I am not going to drink tonight. I am going to go to another meeting tomorrow. Thank you all so much for you support.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you went to another meeting and checked back in.

Please look into getting a sponsor as soon as you can. If you're not sure how to do this, ask the chairperson before or after the meeting. There should also be a literature rack with pamphlets. Look for the one on sponsorship. I also hope that you followed up on Jim's contacts in your area.

Keep posting - we do care, very much.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Please use the info Jim offered.

You too can win over alcohol.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Contacts In your Town

Jim, Yes. Please do. Thank you so much!
Hey,

Did you get the private message I sent you? It had my private email address. Please email me, so I can have your contact info as well.
Jim
Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hugh glad to hear you went to another meeting and saw your doctor. If you are hesitant about taking Jim up on his offer, I would highly reccommend you do so.

A sponsor is not your boss, a sponsor is someone to take you through the steps and to share his personal Experience, Strength, & Hope with you. He will make suggestions to you that were more then likely made to him which helped him to stay sober.