Notices

Im feeling better...

Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I wish you well odhgabfe, but it seems you are playing with fire. You say you had someone sneak you more beers...what is that about? You say your not about impressing anyone yet you were concerned about what you friends, whom you put in charge of your drinking, would say. One evening of "controlled drinking" IMO means very little when it comes to addiction. Try not drinking for 30 days...see how you feel....Impress yourself.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for reminding me how much I do not miss all the insanity that goes along with alcoholism!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by odhgabfe View Post
ght now im training myself on how to stop myself when i have had enough to enjoy my night, before i continue down the short road to blackout level, without someone stopping me.
I tried a number of things to make it work. I really loved drinking and the effect of it. 1 beer an hour, Drinking later and finishing earlier, nothing worked(maybe I'm untrainable). I always drank to a blackout and bad stuff followed. My last genius idea was.. I was going to blackout anyways, maybe I would have somebody tie me to a tree, then atleast I wouldn't be able to stumble around and get in trouble. Never did that, but how insane thinking was that.

Sounds to me your trying to convince yourself as I did.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In my opinion you are playing with fire, a deadly game you cannot win..

Take care,
John
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If there is one thing that is certain, nobody can "undo" alcoholism. Nobody can turn a pickle back into a cucumber. Once someone is a problem drinker (ie drinking untill blacking out....losing control of how much etc.....) they cannot "learn" how to drink in moderation.

These are things that were said to me when I was attempting the same method as you.

Do normal drinkers need to post on SR about getting their drinking under control? Do normal drinkers need to attempt to "train" themselves like a dog?

I don't want to sound out of line here, but the plan doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like you have the disease of alcoholism. You sound like I did 3 years ago, and I am an alcoholic.

Alcohol impairs judgement, regardless of alcoholism or not. Even if you are not an alcoholic, I seriously question your ability to make judgement calls after 9 drinks. Do "normal drinkers" ever consume 9 drinks in one night? I think not.

I really hope you will continue to keep an open mind about abstaining. People don't get to the point you are at if they really have the ability to control their drinking. If you have this ability, then why is it a struggle?
chip
Old 11-18-2008, 03:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not sure what to say, in the depths of your inner being you know the truth of what you need to do, I pray you will do it before it is to late.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How many times have you been successful with controlling your drinking?

When is the last time you got drunk?

Personally - I am not asking these questions so you will answer them for me. But maybe you can give yourself a little perspective on the big picture here. For instance, if this was the first time you have controlled your drinking - what happens next time when people are not babysitting you at a party? What happens when the party gets busted up and you have to return home where there is a full bottle waiting for you?

If you had been sent home after your ninth beer, and had access to more liqour - would you have continued drinking?

When looking at alcoholism - I don't look at the times I was able to control my drinking - the greater concern was the times I couldn't control it, but wanted to. There is a difference.

Good luck - have fun and be safe.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good luck with the moderation. It sounds to me though that the thought of complete sobriety is a bit hard to take which suggests a love you have for this chemical drug.