Notices

Need support please

Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Need support please

I usually do pretty well handling various crap that goes on in my life, but I need some support right this minute. My sponsor isn't available, and nobody is picking up their phone.

I'm unemployed. I just now found out that we don't qualify for fuel assistance due to the agency counting the money that my ex gives me for his half of the mortgage. (he lives on the other side of the house). I am beside myself right now. Feel hopeless and well really hopeless.

We are barely making ends meet here.

I"m not in a good place.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry.

I know how being unemployed can wear on you. Are you having any luck in the job searching? Have you tried Craigslist? I had really good luck on that site when I was job-hunting in my city recently.

Stay strong, sweetie! You can get out there and find a good job. Take some action today and you'll feel better. Go over your resume and refine it a bit, make some phone calls, check in with an employment agency or a temp agency. You can do this, Karen!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are in such pain. You are not hopeless, time has a way of changing everything. Anna has great suggestions.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am really working hard looking for a job. I feel like I keep doing all the right things, and things still get worse.

The money he gives me is intended for the mortgage. It goes in, I pay the mortgage, it's gone. It's not like it's support money, it's his half of the mortgage. I can't take that money and spend it elsewhere!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since your ex lives in the house would he not be responsible for half the fuel bill? Do you have an equity line of credit....sometimes during lean times they come in handy.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No. He lives in a separate apartment. He heats with gas.

That's a good idea Bugs, but our credit is shot. Thankfully, we do have equity in the house though. I know a lot of folks don't right now.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you...housing prices have crashed. Check it out...most times it is a very easy process...interest rates are still low. Qualifying requires that you borrow no more than 80% of your homes value...including your first mortgage. Depending on your pament history with your first lender they will open the acct. on the equity line.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

There is support out there. Three places I can suggest as a start include Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and the Salvation Army. In most locations, Lutheran Social Services and Catholic Charities work very cooperatively, splitting the load depending on which organization has the most appropriate resources. Do a Google search for the closest office to you in Connecticut. They may not be able to help you directly, but there is a very good chance that they can direct you to emergency fuel assistance, food banks, and other special needs.

Toivo
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Sending prayers Karen.

With that being said, start calling around to ALL the charities, the churches, Salvation Army, etc, it's early in the month and many of them have some sort of assistance they can give you.

I had to do it before I was finally approved for SSI and was absolutely amazed at the help that is out there, most folks just don't know about it.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That isn't fair of them Karen.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks for the thread, Merlot. I'm going through similar stuff.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Karen)))

You've gotten some good advice, but I just wanted to send you more hugs and prayers.

I'm doing the job search thing, too. I have a job, but my hours have been cut so much it's not paying anything. I've filled out a ton of applications and haven't heard anything.

I know that a lot of retail stores are hiring for Christmas season. I know it's probably not what you want (me neither), but if we work there, at least it would put money in our pockets.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

take it easy

:ghug3
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Karen, I can't add anything to the good advice, but here's a hug. Hang on. Love, Jomey
Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hugs and Prayers Karen
(+) (+) (+)
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((Karen))) - I'm sorry that you are feeling so down right now. Hoping that things will be looking up for you soon.

Suzette
Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I really needed some support and you guys were there. I did get a call back from an AA friend..she listened to me cry and gave me some info like you all have.

That was scary. Been a very long time since I've felt that way. Still not hopeful, just a tad bit better.

xo

Karen
Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep hanging on, Karen. I'm sorry things are difficult and hope you find some solutions to make life easier soon.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Karen, I don't have any good suggestions to add to the ones you've already gotten, so I'll just add my prayers.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-07-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hiya Nomo! I'm having a bit of the old financials just now too - lost my job a couple months ago, had some tenders knocked back, building up debt just in front of Christmas - worst part is waking at 5am worrying about things. I hate that.

Struck me recently though that the things I'm going to have to do to get me out of this place are the same whether I'm worried and unhappy, or I'm positive and grateful. So I'm trying to do them with as much of a spring as I can muster.

Wherever I'm going to get to, I start from here. And however I'm going to get there, no-one can tell me what my attitude should be. So, one day at a time, and one "next right thing" at a time, I'm going to see where I end up.