Notices

Going clean into the future

Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going clean into the future

Hello.
I quit cold turkey. I was like 4 years drunk. It is my 45th day of being sober(i just had 2 glasses of light alcohol).
The first month was terrible. The most painful was the anxiety, fear of goind mad and depression. That was a good lesson for not drinking alcohol again. I don't feel like drinking. I feel less anxiety now(but the anxiety is not totally gone). I drank a glass of wine yesterday and my anxiety was gone . I fear that i will drink my whole life to get rid of anxiety. I don't like those thoughts.
I also have a fear from the future( i just graduated). I am bored most of the time.
Anyone experienced something like that?
Please tell me something to make me feel more strong. I appreciate any kind of answers
Thank you
Old 11-05-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Hunter, if you are still drinking you are not sober. Consider talking to a doctor about your anxiety issues. Are you employed? Maybe your employer has an EAP program for free counseling and such as well.

If you are bored most of the time, find something you enjoy doing. I am 16 days completely sober today....and I feel great.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If drinking took up a large part of your life for the last 4 years then you need to find something to fill the void. Find activities with other people that do not involve drinking. Go to an AA meeting and meet others who are working on their sobriety. Alone time is difficult in early sobriety and if you suffer from anxiety it is even worse.

You may even consider talking to your Dr. about your plans and about your anxiety. Anxiety is pretty common and alcohol typically does not help.

Take it one day at a time, and if you truly want sobriety it is yours for the taking, you just have to reach out for it.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello again...

Anxiety is a medical issue..professional help is
the way to go about finding your answers.

Bored? then I strongly suggest you find a local
AA group and learn how to live sober and enjoy it.
AA is a program of action...never boring.

Keep posting...we do understand
Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Originally Posted by tennis71 View Post
Find activities with other people that do not involve drinking. Go to an AA meeting and meet others who are working on their sobriety. Alone time is difficult in early sobriety and if you suffer from anxiety it is even worse.

Take it one day at a time, and if you truly want sobriety it is yours for the taking, you just have to reach out for it.

This post already sums up my early recovery. I was alone a lot, and found myself constantly relapsing as I never really had anything to do....Now I read, surf the net, listen to online AA speaker tapes, go to meetings.....

You can do it!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for answering.
Here where i live aren't AA meetings.
In fact i read too, do physical exercises, sex etc.
Today im fine, no anxiety at all , but i fear that the anxiety might come back.