Notices

Treatment centres - what was yours like?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Treatment centres - what was yours like?

I would love to know what the treatment centre was like that YOU went to.
How many residents did it have? How was it structured? What were the staff like? Rooms/House in general? What were the other residents like?

I've been looking at photos of some of the treatment centres over there in America and am gobsmacked as to how different they are to the ones we have here.

The one I went to was this huge old house that had about 8/12 rooms of which some served as bedrooms others as offices. Our dining/kitchen room was a seperate dwelling and all of this was set on a farm like place and we were never alloweed to leave the grounds alone. Is about a 3 hour drive to where I live now in a farming type community.

The residents were mostly men and in the time I was there the ratio was like 8 guys to 1 female. A lot of them were court referals also. Jail or treatment type of thing. For a few of them it was also their 8th treatment etc...

We all contributed to the running of the place and the only staff they had were counsellors and supervisors. Some of the supervisors were volunteers too. Most of these people were also in recovery (AA or NA).

This place was a long term centre min 3 months - max 3 years and your term was dependent on your background. My term was meant to be 3 months but I got the boot @ 1 month.

Our days consisted of group therapy, chores (to keep the house running), sport, individual counselling and at nights AA, NA, ACOA, relapse prevention meetings. And of course chatting and playing cards with the other residents.

In the mornings, after breakfast we got to sing the serenity prayer and this song which I can probably still repeat from memory called 'The Creed' and one of the lines is, 'we are here because there is no refuge finally from ourselves'.

The 'program' was structured in phases. Phase 1,2,3,4 and depending on what kind of personal work you were doing on yourself, depended on what phase you were in and it also reflected how long you'd been there too. For example for the first few weeks you would be in phase 1 and just going over your history in therapy and with your counsellor. But say after 2 months you maybe discussing your sexual abuse issues (if you had them) so would be in phase 3. Phase 4 residents had been their the longest and usually had more freedom like being allowed to go to the movies, leave the grounds for short periods of time on their own etc...

Some of the funding came via our welfare payments (we call them benefit payments here) which were a large portion of our weekly amount was paid straight to the centre and we got small amount of money paid into our accounts. About $40 from memory. Enough to buy ciggerattes, lollies and stamps anyway.

This treatment centre was run by our biggest porivder of alcohol and drug addiction services and eventually they closed all their treatment centres, a few years back, due to not enough funding etc... The government is into an outpatient approach these days.

There's always that funny thing I mention about throwing a chair in an AA meeting as that happened one night while I was in treatment. One resident made what another decided was a racial slur so he got up, swore his head off, threw a chair and walked out. It was the most exciting AA meeting I'd ever been too. Lol.

So what was it like where you went?
:ghug2
Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never been to one by group recovery homes are common, but it is usually several people per room and I have never heard of a co-ed home or the government paying for anything.

What the heck is a "lollie" by the way?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
What the heck is a "lollie" by the way?

lollie = candy.

My accent can make me a bit hard to understand sometimes.

Lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My one and only stint at rehab was fantastic.
When I was 13 I went to a 28 day program,
Twenty years later I got sober.

Sometimes quickly....Sometimes slowly.............
Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

First of all, I had a hell of a time finding a place that would take me. I was in a chair then, and a doctor at a local hospital spent several hours making phone calls. She eventually came to me and said, "There's not a handicap-accessible facility in this state." I asked why. She said, "Apparently, people like you don't want to get better."

I would not be deterred! Willful as ever, I threatened to kill myself unless someone would detox me, and finally, they locked my ass up for my own good! (And detoxed me at the same time...)

The place I went was hospital-based. Funny thing - their "handicap" room was the furthest away from the nurses station, and if I needed help, there was one of those dingy bells on my dinner tray. A lot of help it would have been if I was on the floor

Our program was all client-centered. One person would get a wake-up call from the nurse and was then responsible for waking everyone else up. Once I started to sleep again, I wasn't easy to wake. We had narrow windows to shower, and I needed help, so that was challenging. I looked like **** most of my stay. Oh - and for some reason, because I was in a chair and had a fondness for wearing men's blazers, a lot of folks mistook me for staff - like they thought the same thing: the lame chick can't be a patient. I heard several times, "You don't look like an addict." That still hits me in the funny bone.

We ran a lot of our own groups - which was weird, but they said it "built a sense of community." We were pretty evenly split between men and women. We had meetings every day but Saturday, which was visiting day, and we could watch movies (we had to vote on the movies) if we didn't have visitors. We could smoke, and chocolate/sugar wasn't restricted. As a matter of fact, all the leftover deserts in the entire hospital were put into our fridge at night.

I spent seven days detoxing before I got to this 28 day facility, and I was still pretty sick. I didn't want to be there, but by that time, I didn't have any place else to go unless I was clean, so I stuck it out. By the third week, I was eating well again and could sit through an hour meeting without having to rush to a bathroom. By the end of the fourth week, I was scared to go home. I was okay being clean & sober there - but what of the outside world?

The folks from the rehab kept in close contact with me for awhile until I moved - which reminds me. I've been meaning to send them a letter to tell them I just passed another anniversary. I think they like to hear things like that.

So...while I can still keep my eyes open, I think I'm going to go dig up some contact info.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
My one and only stint at rehab was fantastic.
When I was 13 I went to a 28 day program,
Twenty years later I got sober.

Sometimes quickly....Sometimes slowly.............
13? As in thirteen? As in a teenager?
Or is it a typo?

If not, what on earth do they do at a treatment centre for teenagers?

Some teens haven't even started puberity at 13!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well I went to detox, but not to rehab, there were about 8 or 9 rooms, 4 to a room, there was about a 50-50 mix of men and women. It was in a small building right next door to a big hospital. We were constantly monitored for BP and the shakes and it seemed as though they were always giving me some type of med every 2 hours except my very last day. We had a few one on one sessions with couselors and a lot of group sessions and classes. Every night we went to an AA meeting at the hospital next door.

I was scared to death to leave that place, I just knew I was not going to make it home without stopping for a 12 pack..... somehow through prayer I made it. 3 days after I left I went to see a therapist to start my IIOP, I spoke to the guy for about an hour, turned out he was in recovery as well, I spoke with him about the AA meetings I was going to and the fact that they were helping, I told him at that time I felt I could do it without IIOP but asked him if I had to decide right then and there because I did not know where I may be in my head even the next day. He told me that I could call him any time and he could get me into IIOP the next day if I needed it.

Well a meeting or 2 every day for over 90 days straight got me thruogh along with a sponsor and working the steps.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I went to a nationally known rehab franchise a couple hours from me. It was a hospital, with a separate wing for those of us in detox (from three to five days) then we moved into the general population. The length of stay was anywhere from five days just for detox to several months. Lots of court-ordered people there. Very clean and nice, with most staff members, medical and non-medical, recovering addicts/alcoholics.

Two or three to a room, men and women separate. Days were very structured with meetings, lectures, counseling, etc. All the staff were very kind and helpful, housekeeping, maintenance, and so on.

My first and third time was five days detox only. Second time should have been 28 days but I got stubborn and willful and left after 12 days.

Made some good friends there, some of whom I still keep in contact with. I resisted the structured time, and relapsed after being released all three times, but finally 'got it right'.

Am grateful for the medically supervised detox, as my withdrawals got worse each time I relapsed. Because of leaving early my second time I was considered 'high risk' for relapse, which I proved to be accurate. But I now email my counselor sometimes to tell her my sober time.

In retrospect it was a good experience, but I didn't like it while I was there.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went to rehab in the mid-80's. It was the top floor of a hospital. Very, very nice. I think it was 28 rooms, each had it's own bathroom, a single bed and desk with a chair. Sparkling clean and comfortable. It was a 28 day program but some folks stayed longer if needed.

The days were action packed. Up at 6.00 for morning meditation and breakfast. 30 minutes of exercise in a well-equipped gym. A short break for showers and clean up and then it was meetings, group therapy, study groups until lunch break. The food was very good and healthful. Snacks were available at all times.

The afternoons were more meetings, education on the addictive disease and physical effects. Also time for games and fun group activities. The counselors were great! The staff was warm, supportive and attentive. We had individual counseling sessions and generally saw the medical doctors three times a week.

In the evenings, after dinner, we were taken to outside meetings of AA, NA and CA. We had one hour of "free time" after the meetings to work on the never-ending paper writing and catch up on required readings. Then bedtime at 11.00 pm. You could stay up in your room and work or read if you wanted. No music or other distractions allowed.

I recall we had more men than women. A wide range of DOC's so it was interesting to me as I knew very little about drugs. The population was mixed. Young adults to old adults. Seems there were mostly "professional" people or their grown up children. One night a week was family group. In the third week, there was family involvement and education as well as an introduction to Alanon.

After care was six months long but you could come longer if you wanted. I kept in touch with some of my peers and a few of the counselors until the unit was closed due to budget shortfalls. Such a shame. It was a very good program and gave me a solid foundation to build my new life on.

I had very good insurance and it covered it all. I was one very lucky, very blessed woman.

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have graduated from 3 different facilities - ask any of those who were assigned to me (counselors) and by no means should I have ever taken a drink again...you know, I had my sh!t together. lol.

#1 - A hospital / treatment center. A single story building with an inner courtyard (only detox patients could go there) and an outside area for smoking.."the yard". Mixed men/women - also there were some teens and a couple transgendered folks. Up early - chores (work kitchen, vacuum, etc). After you made it to the second phase of treatment (I don't remember what the qualifications were for that) you could make phone calls and go to offsite AA/NA meetings. They also administered meds at this place (anti-depressants, anti-psychotics) for those who were prescribed. It rained most of the time I was there (35 days)..stayed out of trouble and I didn't sleep with any of the female residents until we were both released. I think there was just over 100 residents....out of these only 5 or 6 were there for alcohol alone - mostly drugs (speed / heroin). About 50/50 men/women..the women were allowed to keep small children on site with them. So there were always kids running around.

#2 - A dual-diagnosis center located up in the mountains...fairly remote for our area. I went to a medical detox before I got there for acute withdrawal (7 days). This place has a social-model with a mix of 12 steps as treatment. They also gave meds if you were prescribed and met with their doctors regularly. At night, animals would come into the camp (bears, raccoons etc) so that was always interesting. There was about 80 residents - most were paid for by the courts for drug charges. Only 2 other people were there for drinking problems, I was the only one who had insurance which paid for it AND was there voluntarily. 5 nights per week we were driven down the hill to attend AA or NA meetings and stop to get cigs, candy, soda or whatever. All meals were prepared by the residents, all cleaning (hence the 'social model'). I got along well with most people, didn't get into any trouble (followed ALL the rules - even making the morning meditation every day at 6:30am) and didn't sleep with any female residents until we were no longer residents.

#3 - Located in the desert - 3 hours from my home. A converted apartment building that is considered 'hardcore rehab'. Most were court ordered folks - there was a separate house for female residents. Also there was a large sober-living facility in the area (this rehab has been buying up all the nearby real estate for the past 20 years and converting it to recovery-based communities). No fences or bars to keep anyone in - you could walk to the store if you wanted, but people watched closely. There was a motel across the street where I watched people score crack all day, and prostitutes set up shop at night. Drugs were literally available across the street - but I never saw a resident 'go out' or go over there. Most were pretty happy to not be sitting in jail. I spent Christmas and New years at this place - one of the nicest holiday seasons I have ever had, honestly. Meetings were held all day and open to the local community. There was a small store that sold cigs, candy etc...if you did not have $$ they would make you a loan that could be worked off. Generally - this was 12 step based recovery, and if you didn't want to participate, you would be asked to leave. There were more than 100 residents if you count all the sober living folks. I actually witnessed some true recovery at this place..and have kept close with some of the people I met there. I followed all the rules, never got into trouble and didn't have a girlfriend when I left. I stayed 65 days - the last couple of weeks, I was pretty much allowed to come and go as I pleased (I kept a vehicle on-site by that time) as long as they knew where I was and I checked in as required. There were NO MEDS at this place, unless you had to take insulin. We did all the cooking, cleaning, managed their salvage business, did charity work in the community. I still go back to meetings at this place once in awhile if I am in the area.

I have recommended the 3rd place to people I know who were seeking a treatment center...the other two I would not.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After more treatment experiences than you can shake a stick at, I have become a fan of medical detox and home or a halfway house that centers on AA. Usually the men I work with are homeless and the mission or a halfway house is their only option. I believe that the answers are in the Big Book and if one wants to recover, treatment is a luxury that is not necessary.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was following the BB and did not even know it, I was medically detoxed and then bathed in the saving waters of AA.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
After more treatment experiences than you can shake a stick at, I have become a fan of medical detox and home or a halfway house that centers on AA. Usually the men I work with are homeless and the mission or a halfway house is their only option. I believe that the answers are in the Big Book and if one wants to recover, treatment is a luxury that is not necessary.
I hope you don't think I was implying treatment was necessary.
I thought it may be a good topic that allows us to relate to each other since a lot of us have been to treatment and as you have said 'I've more treatment centre expereinces than I can shake a stick at.' And I'd love to read some....

Another treatment centre here in NZ that is still open is an 'addiction centre'. It's one of those places where you go in an Alcoholic and come out an Alcoholic-Overeater-Child of an Alcholic-Gambler with abandonment issues. When you go there these days, you have to give up smoking too.

They used to have 'mat therapy' where, everytime you had a feeling during a 'group therapy session' you had to go sit on these mats and express it.

An AA friend of mine who went there, often shares in AA meetings how grateful she is that these days she doesn't have to hit the mats. Lol

For a few years they also had a NA/AA member who was the nightsuperviser and had many, many affairs with the female residents and liked to take naked pictures of them. Serious. He probably has a draw full of them.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No Lizw, I didn't think you were implying anything, simply asking for experience. Treatment centers only provided me the 28 - 30 days of R and R after the second experience; I think I can cover over twenty inpatient treatments between 1977 and 2003. After that I was more interested in three hots, a cot, female companionship and possible job interviews. I could get very physically well in a treatment environment because my focus was on food, sleep, scammed relationships and sex. Rarely was I willing to consider anything like recovery except when it looked like I was going to be back on the streets without a roof and without meals.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I went into treatment on December 22, 1994. It was a hard core treatment facility but there was no detox. In fact, there were no meds. If you had a headache they told you to go meditate.

It was co-ed in an old convalescent type building. So there was the men's wing and the women's wing, with a dining room and living room that separated the two. Men were not allowed in our area and we were not allowed in theirs. There were about 50 women and 50 men. There were all different ages and DOC's.

What I remember the most is that you had to get up by 430 am if you wanted a hot shower. We had to have our rooms cleaned, beds made and be out of our rooms by 7 am. We were not allowed back to our rooms until after the last group at 11pm. Therefore, we had to carry a backpack for notebooks, jackets, etc. We were not allowed any caffeine except on Friday nights when there was a NA meeting at the facility.

We went on a 2 mile walk at 7am, had breakfast and then cleaned the "house". We cleaned the bathrooms, rooms, etc. Once a week we cleaned the windows and the more extensive stuff.

Then we began our groups, sessions, counseling, etc. We got an hour break before dinner but other than that, our days were full. We did get to have 10 minute breaks every other hour.

We had some free time on the weekends, but had lots of writing and assignments to do! Once a week they sent 4 someones to the drugstore to pick stuff up for people. Mostly this was toiletries, cigs and acrylic nails. That was our big past time in there.

For the first 2 weeks there was no contact with the outside world. After that there were VERY limited times to use one of the two pay phones they had. We could write letters and receive letters. After 45 days, my son was allowed to come visit for 3 hours on Saturdays. There were no adult visitors allowed (unless they came to the NA meeting) the entire time we were there. there was a big yellow line drawn at the end of the driveway in front and in back. If you stepped over that line you were supposed to just keep going because you were kicked out.

The program (it was short term) was 60-120 days. I stayed 62 days. We then had aftercare twice a week for 6 months and then you graduated. I had always held a job so CA disability paid for it. The fees were on a sliding scale. In fact, after my disability check, there was still $700 left each month from my check after they took out their fees. They held onto this money so when I got out I had some money to get a place.

I lived in sober living with my son for the first 9/10 months. I moved out of sober living after I had a year clean.

I have never gone back to speed after that program. It saved my life and I LOVED it!!! Unfortunately, after a couple of years I decided I could drink. Ugh. But the great thing is that when I got sober this time, I still had all those tools, the tool box was just a little rusty.

I will forever be grateful to Crash.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

I guess I was extremely fortunate to get sober the first time.

I found a wonderful program, through a local hospital, that offered an intensive 8-week out-patient program, and then a year long maintenance program.

During the initial 8-week program, we met late afternoons on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It was run by nurses from the hospital who were familiar with all types of substance abuse and co-dependency. We had lots of homework, reading, and introspection. Oh, how I wish I still had the books and my notebooks.

The maintenance program met for an hour on Wednesday nights at the hospital. It was mostly a discussion group run by the nurses.

Unfortunately, this great program was funded in part by the federal government. Just as I was finishing up my maintenance program, the whole program lost its funding and was replaced by a faith-based 12-step program at the hospital that virtually eliminated the medical professionals.

Toivo