Notices

I lost another job

Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I lost another job

I don't really care because I hated the job, but at the same time, I'm wayyyy to fat to return to my previous life. Before I could seriously perform again, I have 100 pounds to go.

So somebody dropped the dime on me getting a DUI. I argued, that I haven't been convicted of anything. As soon as they let me go I went to our local (TriCore) medical place and took a blood test. I came back totally clean. They asked , "why did you not disclose your arrest to your supervisor?" Maybe I should've, but I didn't miss any work because of it. This time, I'm looking for unemployment. I can prove I wasn't drinking on the job. Something is just giving off alcohol. I'm on admin leave again, but I said **** it, I'm headed for the unemployment line at least until January, because more school is all I have left.

Someone in my home meeting the other night said the same thing. "Why is it, when I got sober everything went to hell?" I ask the same question: I've lost a home, dogs, girlfriend, jobs, DUI busted SINCE I've been sober. Is it just HP coming home to roost? I can deal with karma, what I hate is how it's all coming back to me now. I'm sober, I can medically prove it, and all hell is breaking loose.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the job. I totally understand the feeling that everything is dumped on us when we finally get clean and are trying to get our life together.

I don't have any great advice, but I just want you to know you're not alone. I'm working a job I've grown to dislike a LOT, but need the income and the insurance benefits.

Just remember...when one door closes, a window opens. It's hard to see that when we're getting slammed with "life stuff" but I've found it's true.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Now to some folks this will probably sound like I am nutz and maybe I am, rofl.

I did find however, that it took a while into recovery, almost two years in my case, before I got through most of the 'bad karma' I had put out for years while I was drinking. Yep, it took about two years before I felt like some good karma was finally starting to come back to me.

I have always been a big believer that in what I give out I get back threefold, so those first couple of years were tough.

Job changes, klunker cars, several changes in living situations, etc, but slowly things did start to change. My best bet was work and meetings, meetings and work, and a few AA functions, like conventions, round ups, etc.

Slowly things did improve. Even today, I would not trade my first two years in recovery for my very best day out there drinking and using.

That's just what happned to me. Hang in there TB, it will get better. Eat healthy, try walking every day and slowly increasing the amount you walk even if it's only 1 additional block a week, and the weight will start to drop. As it drops, you'll feel better.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

and Prayers for your peace
Old 10-27-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It just kinda makes me laugh. Does that make any sense? Or maybe I'm just crazy.

I'm headed back to the old days of employment. I tried to run from it, I realized my alcoholism, I got sober, I got in all kinds of trouble. I go to AA at leats 5 times a week and now I'm one with papers. I came in voluntarily, I haven't been drinking: the lawyer just thinks it's a really good idea. He's probably right.

I'm an actor, I hate it and it's all I can do. Stupid right? It's back to school in January for me.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it can only get better after all of that!!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Texas. All my consequences keep stacking up too! I have been sober for over 6 months and the sh-t is still coming down the tubes. My sponsor and other people in AA said this is usually the case for the first year of sobriety. That is why people hate the first year of sobriety.

I got a DUI in April and I am still paying the price for it! Just last week my husband walked into the house and informed me that our auto insurance dropped us and we had to get high-risk insurance that would cost double! The DUI in in April was my second one in 4 months so I can understand I guess.

The last few months of my drinking I was out of control! My life was quickly going down the tubes. I was in a living HE11 !!! Getting another DUI in April was the best thing that ever happened to me believe it or not. I layed in a jail cell for 22 hours and cried and thought about my life. I hit my bottom in that jail cell and have been sober ever since. I did 4 months of Outpatient treatment and lots and lots of AA and counseling.

NO, my life is not easy. YES, I still have ALOT of consequences to deal with. The good news for YOU and ME, is if we stay sober we will not create any new consequences. Life will get better!!! I am sorry about your job, but maybe your High Power knows that you are going to get another job soon that is going to make you ALOT happier.

Sometimes I wish we could see our life in reverse, ya know? We could see how everything is going to turn out. 99% of the time, it ends up ok and it will for you too. Just hang in there and stay sober. God Bless you!
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Again, all I can do is sit here and read threads (I love you all) and wait until AA at 7 Mountain time. Do I sound like an active guy? Maybe the liquor screwed me up so bad I don't even know what I look or sound like anymore? Could I really be that alcoholic that I don't even know anymore? My little silly home breathalyzer hasn't changed, I still blow everything from .00 to dead, but I'm consistent. The doctor said I'd be giving off the alcohol for up to a year.

I spoke to my father and he actually told me he thought my sobriety was secure. It's just funny that all of this is going down now. I thought sobering up was supposed to help. Don't worry eveyone, I really am sitting here with a silly grin on my face. I just can't believe it. I just know I'm not gonna take a drink.

I just am really confused. How was your first year in sobriety? Did you lose jobs? I know nobody trusts me, I get that...but I'm just so confused. I'm at ten months...barely. And I can say that sincerely.

You have to understand, all I have is a sponsor, Problemchild, those that PM me, and this message board. Nobody in my immediate circle gets it.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry ...

If it's any consolation, a friend of mine was 2 YEARS sober when an old DUI conviction (which he was fighting) finally processed against his favor. He had to drive using a breathalyzer for 5 years. He was 7 years sober when he finally got the device removed. You'd think that if someone had been sober for 2 years, they'd drop the DUI charge ... but NOPE!

He laughs about it now. I guess he has to laugh to avoid getting angry.

It sucks. Getting sober doesn't make everything right ... it just helps you get right.

I'm sorry that happened. I hope things get cleared up somehow. You're definitely not alone though ...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
My little silly home breathalyzer hasn't changed, I still blow everything from .00 to dead, but I'm consistent. The doctor said I'd be giving off the alcohol for up to a year.
Hey Tex, what was the doc's official explanation for that?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Hey Tex, what was the doc's official explanation for that?

Something called GERD. Gastro-esophagal(sp) reflux disease. It's not acid reflux, because those medicines don't help, but it's something a lot of alcoholics suffer from in their first few years. It can cause false positives and it's also responsible for why my stomach swelled even though I didn't eat for a month. I put on 80 pounds and I was only drinking, I never ate a thing. I was basically anorexic. I had heartburn every single day and nother over thoe counter would help. No matter how much I brushed my teeth, something was always weird in my mouth. I hadn't been drinking, yet people smelled it on my breath. I mentioned failing a ton of field sobrieities, this is why.

Basically, I cough constantly and that causes dry heaving and sometimes I actually vomit. If I do, it brings up my BAC to death levels. Then it goes away within an hour or two.

I have medications now, but it's only for anti-nausea. They can't really do anything about the GERD until I lose weight and have some real sobriety.

I have been diagnosed. I have two doctors who are ready to testify if I have to have them to.

I gotta be honest though. I'm not sure I want to "get away" with this. I can accept my punishment. Aren't we all that way?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tex

I replied early on.Though I don't pretend to understand the biochemistry that results in false positives, I think your "case" is important. I did hear recently, I think on NPR, that a high carbohydrate diet can result in false positives.

My only "issue" with you in this is in accepting an unjust fate because of past behavior. There would not be adequate jails to hold all of those who have "sinned." I don't believe in payback. Neither does the law.

My suggestion, at the time, was to replicate, with witnesses, those readings. I don't get it. I cannot imagine a jury, or judge, that would convict under those circumstances.

As I've said, I earned my DUI's. Nothing to argue. Unlike OJ Simpson it isn't "If I Did It," it's "I did it." But if I didn't I sure would not lay down.

Best to you in your sobriety.

warren
Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

if nothing else ,you can be grateful you are sober today and not living in the insanity of alcoholic drinking.Count your blessings Craig,not your problems.....
Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Warren,

First, the "biochemistry" line made me laugh because my father is a biochemist and has been working overtime to figure this out.

Second, Thank you. I don't feel like this current issue is justified, but I do feel I've earned it in a way. Maybe that doesn't make sense. I understand about making my case "known" but how many of us deserve a retroactive DUI? I don't say that to punish anyone or make anyone feel bad, but in my case I'm alright. Besides, there is absolutely nobody to say I wasn't drinking the entire time from when I left work to when I got stopped. There is a real legal burden of proof here. I'm gonna have to plead it out, I've accepted that.

I have replicated my results on many different breathalyzers, but the lawyer doesn't think it's a good idea to voluntarily go back to the station. My blood always comes back clean. The lawyer thinks I just need to shut up. I'm a worrier though, what can I do?

This GERD thing. How many of us might have it and not know? The doctor said alcoholism can actually create it. I know we're not doctors here and not allowed to give advice, so I'll stop here.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

"Why is it, when I got sober everything went to hell?"

That should be the AA white chip...it would actually make me a bit more open to the situation.

My guess is that everything has gone to hell but we just haven't seen it. That's much too obvious for such a saying though.

How about this interpretation...the "everything" isn't defined - so how 'bout you and I define it as everything that bit us in the ass due to our stupidity.

How 'bout everything that made us believe we were better than others.

How 'bout everything that made us believe that we can overcome all.

How 'bout everything that we became when we drank.

Yep...

When, I'm sober - it all goes to hell...:bounce

Right where it belongs.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got a couple of kicks to the face in my first year but I didn't give up.

It gets better, it really does.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tex-
My thoughts are with you. Trust in yourself and that you're doing the right things. Maybe another talk with your doc about the gastric problems.

Blessings my friend-
BHJ
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Damn man , just hang in there things have to get better, as far as laying down on the dui F#$@ that, fight it with all you got man. These things that are happening to you are pretty brutal, but yet you are still sober a big inspiration to me and i am sure others as well even though its hard for you right now just keep sober and it will get better..

Take Care,
John
Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've spoken with a few of you, and I sincerely bless and thank all of you.

Yesterday, the insurance came back with their findings but now (since I hired a criminal attorney) they can't speak to me without my attorney present.

I'm realizing that I should have plead guilty from Day 1. I only know what is in my heart and mind, but there is absolutely no way to prove what I know. I was nowhere in sound mind that day. I was too confused, I should've demanded blood. I had the woman I hit yelling at me, one cop searching my car and one demanding a field test. I was worried about all three.

I thank all of you for asking me to stand up and fight, but I'm at the point where all I have is medical proof and it's just a little to fishy for anyone else to really believe. I'll take my InterLock and probation, I just really want any conviction off the record.

It's killing me to just sit here and do nothing. The lawyer says to just shut up and wait, but that is not my nature. I'm a huge fighter and always have been. Patience is my worst quality. To let someone else have this kind of control is very off putting. I just want to contact everyone and explain my side, but I can't. He has to do it. All I can do is sit, wait, and go to meetings.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Tex, I think you should fight it too. You have enough on your plate w/out dealing with what comes with a DUI. Besides, how will you use an interlock if you can't get an accurate blow?