Notices

Getting over the hump

Old 10-25-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting over the hump

Hey all. My last drink was two weeks ago today. Two weeks for some reason is always the tough time where I go back again. I think its because I end up going out because its the weekend I do not have my daughter and the drinking begins. Tonight we are going to eat and go bowling, something different which I think will really help. Just looking for a little support and cheers to get me over this two week hump! :ghug2
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the two weeks! How cool is it that your daughter will be there as you cruise right through that two week hump with no problem.....good stuff, you can do it!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No see that that is problem - my daughter goes to dads tonight so its more tempting! But I will do it! and my boyfriend is supports me so that helps!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

Congrats on 2 weeks of sobriety . . . All you need to do is get through today and you'll have 2 weeks and a day and you'll be over the 2 week hump . . . Does the bowling alley serve alcohol? If it does, be sure to let your boyfriend know that you don't plan on drinking tonight and ask him to get you a softdrink so you won't need to go near the bar. It's great that you have a supportive boyfriend!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your two weeks. You can do this.

I am right behind you at twelve days today. I was amazed when I was able to stay sober through my own two days of this week. (Last Monday and Tuesday). I haven't done that in a long, long time. But I did it. Yes, I was restless, agitated at times and craved a drink. I just hung on and for me my support comes from going to meetings. So I did that and simply did not pick up and even though time seemed to move slowly, I tried to keep busy and the "weekend" for me passed with me staying sober.

Glad to hear you have a supportive boyfriend also. Maybe stock up on a variety of non-alcoholic drinks? I found I was drinking a ton of flavored herbal tea. Never been a tea person before, so it was something different.
Also drank a lot of juice and stayed away from caffieine. (I find it makes me more anxious and jittery.)

Keep us posted. All the best.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

A guy asked me once, "Do you remember when drinking stopped being fun...?"

I said, "Yeah, I sure do", shaking my head, remembering all of the misery.

He said back, "Good. Because when you forget... it will all seem fun again."

That conversation gets me over the hump every time.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Two weeks was my biggest hurdle when I was relapsing because that is when the painful memories became weaker than the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse
(Terror, frustration, bewilderment & despair).

It was not until I learned how to deal with them (4 Horsemen) that long-term sobriety became comfortable enough to live with.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the positive responses and your own experiences. I appreciate it very much and its helped me.

Not drinking tonight at least I will bowl better!. Well, maybe......:ghug3
Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your 2 weeks of progress!

Yes!! You too can recover
Old 10-25-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

nohangover no remorse and youll remember it all! congrats on your sobriety!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by todd6138 View Post
nohangover no remorse and youll remember it all! congrats on your sobriety!
So true Todd. Here I am this sunday morning feeling totally great and had a good time bowling. And I beat my boyfriend both games! ha! :ghug3
Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Good job!!! (on both the not drinking and the beating your boyfriend thing!)

Boleo, thank you for that.. Isn't it weird how our minds can seem to only remember how 'fun' a buzz was, and not the terror of what most of us were really going through? Then anxiety, guilt...

I think the first hour or so of every drunken night was fun, followed by embarrassment, anger, guilt, remorse, depression. That was NOT worth that hour! Good to think about and remember, too bad it's not that part of it that jumps into our heads when we're tempted to have 'fun' again.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

Originally Posted by bstt03 View Post
So true Todd. Here I am this sunday morning feeling totally great and had a good time bowling. And I beat my boyfriend both games! ha! :ghug3

Now isn't that something? I love it!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey flutter - I figured out I didn't even get an hour of drunken fun for the last several years. My fun lasted about all of eight minutes during any given drunk. Pretty bad, huh?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

2 weeks was the hardest point for me too! Somehow I made it through. I kept thinking how many hours a day felt great to be sober and how maybe only a few hours at best would feel good drunk, and then their would be hell to pay for way more hours.

Just keep remembering that being sober is a constant high compared to how you feel hungover.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ever closer...

The first couple weeks sucked and then I started feeling better. I slept better, ate etter and my overall attitude improved...so i thought...I'm sure i'm not an alcoholic! I struggled with the drink for the next couple weeks. I never drank but sure got close and thought about it. When I picked up my 30 day chip at AA I understood what they had said. It was a hard chip and many say the hardest! I agree!! As each day passes I feel stronger and stronger against the drink. Just one day at a time, it really works!!