Notices

Ok so now what?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok so now what?

I'm brand new and I guess I just want to sort of introduce and ask now what? I know I need to stop drinking its ruining my life already and I'm only 19. I've been threatened with rehab more times than I can count but I don't want to lose my job so I want to it on my own. The longest I've gone without drinking in the past two years was 2 weeks and that was only because I was really sick. Its been getting progressively worse and I don't want to hurt anyone else. Thanks for your support.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I replied to your other threads...

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum

I use AA with great results...perhaps
that is something you want to check out.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you that you recognize the problem is getting worse. When I was 19 I knew I was getting worse but didn't care. Before I knew it I had 2 DUI's, 2 drunk in public arrests, benders that would last days at a time, lost jobs, girlfriends...........so on. The point is simple......it WILL continue to progress, and unfortunately nothing, and I mean NOTHING good will come out of it. I had a buddy who quit drinking at 20 after 3 years of heavy boozing and almost ruined his life. he recognized the pattern, saw a very ugly future and changed his ways. That guy is now a very well respected dentist, is happy all the time, has a great family and group of friends.....and guess what......he does NOT drink, nor does he ever WANT to drink again.

My advice to you as someone who should have done what you are trying to do...........DO IT! Put down the bottle and set some future goals.......the payoff will be well worth it. If friends of your give you a hard time about it and you don't feel like telling them there is a problem.....just tell them the doctor said you are allergic to alcohol or something.

Best of luck.....all of us here wish we would have quit at 19. You are a smart kid and I would be willing to bet you will do the right thing for you.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by brighteyes88 View Post
Its been getting progressively worse
Progression is the single surest sign of this disease called alcoholism. It looks like you see this already. You have already gotten a foothold on step 1. Now is a good time to learn about the rest of the steps.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and our alcoholism forum!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you can admit you are whipped from alcohol, you are years ahead of schedule save yourself another 10+ years of hell and find an AA meeting I promise you if you quit now you wont regret it provided that you seek help instead of trying to "quit". I tried to quit for 17 years with no success. welcome to recovery!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If it's any consolation, you're not too young to be an alcoholic or to start recovery.

My fiance got sober when he was 17, and he has been sober for 20 years now. The key thing for him was to get active in an AA group. He got active in AA conventions too -- especially the "young people's" conventions. Sometimes it just helps to see other people your own age, you know?

But at the same time, us "old folks" can sympathize. Alcohol hurts us the same way it hurts you.

If you really want to stop hurting, AA can help.

Glad you're here -- keep coming back
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what its like to feel "too young" to be an alcoholic. I'm 22, and I wish I also would have quit at 19, because if I had my alcoholism wouldn't have progressed to the state its in now. Plus all my friends drink just fine, and I keep grumbling to myself about missing out on all the fun young people stuff. People always talk about the good times they had drinking in college. Its not fair. :sorry

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I applaud you for waking up to your problems, NOW, rather than waiting for 30 years. You are on the right path.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for you welcome and advice. A bit more on me...I know I'm young but I've already made soo many mistakes that have come from drinking. I have blacked out on more occasions that I can remember, I have gotten in a serious accident and almost died, I have been in the hospital due to alcohol related injuries multiple times but I still felt like booze was a happy thing. Not anymore. I am trying very very hard to stop and it feels impossible at times. I have been sober for a week now and am not feeling great but am trying to think that it will soon be over. I've had dr and nurse visits to moniter my withdrawl and so far I'm making it through. I will contiue to post.