Notices

Depression

Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Depression

Hi,

When depression is cited as a component of alcohol withdrawal, i dont understand how to interpret that. Are they talking about right after quitting? Do most people feel really sad and lonely and anxious during the first 5 days or week while detoxing? Did it go away or take months/years for the depression to lift? I have always thought that depression caused problematic drinking, not resulted from it. Any personal experience or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would think that it can be caused by drinking or someone can drink because of it. I guess that would depend on the person. I think alot of people who drink are already depressed and maybe self medicading. And some get depressed when they stop because their self medication is gone -its just all out in the open then. I don't think there is anyone state of depression that is persay the "norm".
Old 10-19-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a depressant, and any chemical can effect different people different ways.
Many people also go through depression after quitting alcohol.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

I went through depression while detoxing and every time I would come off a 3 day bender, but just as jurneyman said it affects everyone different
Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After the withdrawals I actually started feeling better almost instantly.
I was a lot calmer and more cheerful.

But I think the depression mentioned there has more to do with the psychological effect of giving up alcohol, your (deceitful) friend or emotional "crutch" as it were.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I continued suffering from depression even after 9 months of sobriety. So I just said, "screw it" and now I'm back on the roller coaster of addiction. :bounce:bounce Medication doesn't seem to help at all anymore.

tiburon
Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl128 View Post
Hi,

When depression is cited as a component of alcohol withdrawal, i dont understand how to interpret that.
I don't know much about clinical depression but I do know that I felt, deep despair, before each of my many relapses.

It was not until I learned to deal with the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Terror, frustration, bewilderment & despair) that I was able to be comfortable enough in my own skin again.