Notices

1 month...it feels so good!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

1 month...it feels so good!

Today is my first full month of being totally sober. In this time I have run every day and eaten extremely healthy. I have dropped 5 kilograms (11 lbs.) and feel absolutely awesome now. It feels so good to have solid sleep every night and then wake up the next day feeling completely fresh.

The second week was the hardest for me. My cravings were so brutal and relentless that week. Somehow I managed to push through it and now I am so happy I did.

I definitely have to thank this community as I come here daily to remind myself of why I must never drink again.

The most important lesson I have learned in this first month is that their are activites and hobbies you can pick up while sober that will give you the same level of joy and happiness that alcohol once did. The only difference is that with sober happiness and joy lingers long after a pseudo alcoholic emotion would have long withered and turned to sadness instead.

I am so happy to have not given into temptation and look forward to many many more sober months and years to come.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Way to go!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Paul
Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your joy with us....
Old 10-19-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done!

One month - Me too!

I haven't had a drink since 20th Sept and although it has been tough, I'm still here, just!

I think the reason I am struggling is that I haven't filled the void like you have. Your post was inspirational and I'm going to give hobbies and activities more thought!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations on one month sober! It can only get better from here!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You rock. Great job!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

Originally Posted by championcharlie View Post
Well done!

One month - Me too!

I haven't had a drink since 20th Sept and although it has been tough, I'm still here, just!

I think the reason I am struggling is that I haven't filled the void like you have. Your post was inspirational and I'm going to give hobbies and activities more thought!
I totally understand. I struggled alot the first 2 weeks and almost gave in, but the one time I came really close to drinking I went for an hour run instead. After that I just kept running everyday. I think it helped alot because i started feeling even healthier and looking healthier and so it made me not want to drink even more because i knew with even just one drink I would start losing both the feeling and the look.

I also do alot of art and watch movies to fill my down time (what little I have) I find this seems to keep me just as happy as I was when I would just sit around drinking, but in the end I get a great piece of art and the feeling that I am actually accomplishing something with my life even during my free time.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gantz (and Championcharlie ) congratulations on getting to 30 days. It's wonderful that you're taking such good care of yourself! I've also found that exercise has helped me, and I love to spend my evenings cooking gourmet, healthy dinners as a sober past time.

Great job, and keep up the good work! Are you working any specific recovery program?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Wonderful Gantz and Championcharlie!!!

Thank you for sharing - the sober life is the best life!

Cathy31
x
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
judge only yourself

Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
Gantz (and Championcharlie ) congratulations on getting to 30 days. It's wonderful that you're taking such good care of yourself! I've also found that exercise has helped me, and I love to spend my evenings cooking gourmet, healthy dinners as a sober past time.

Great job, and keep up the good work! Are you working any specific recovery program?
I went to an AA meeting and felt out of place (although I only have one to choose from here in japan, so I cant judge them all by that). Everyone there was double my age so I couldnt really relate.

I did online meetings and didnt really like that either. I did read the big book and that was inspirational.

For myself recovery has consisted of writing a diary, getting inspiration from this site everyday, and lots and lots of exercise and healthy eating. Also I have gotten into really appreciating the little things you would never notice if you were not sober. It makes life so much more amazing.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on 30 days sober to both of you, stay on top of things one day at a time.