Notices

coke a cola substitute

Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coke a cola substitute

Just wondered if anyone has some advice about substituting coke a cola for alcohol.
I have had a rough couple of weeks but have perservered in my quest to give up alcohol totally. I go through exhillerating times and then lows where I feel I am going off my nut. Weekends are my worst. I always used to stroll around my garden with a brandy and coke in my hand staring into space in total peace with the world. But there was always a price to pay for this and apologies to make. I never want to be there again!
Sorry I am going off the topic.

I now still stroll around the garden but with a coke in my hand which I am topping up constantly to fight away my urge.
Am I just fooing myself? I even sip it like a drink!
I dreampt last night I started drinking again. My resolve I had over the past few weeks is weak now that the honeymoon extacy is over.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Since the coca cola was part of your drink of choice, I suggest switching to a different beverage. How about tea, or juice, or water? The Coke taste is a trigger right now IMO.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it helps, why not?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I found it almost a relief to branch out and just order something to drink that tasted good, and didn't make a good "drink". Some reason I found I really love Dr. Pepper, go figure (used to be rum and diet pepsi.. I cannot smell or drink diet pepsi without thinking it tastes wrong without the liquor.. how many drinks have I had that I thought were 'weak' or 'lame' because it JUST tasted like diet pepsi?).

I go to a lot of Broncos games, and instead of beer have been ordering a Sprite, never really liked it before, but boy is it refreshing!

I personally would have a hard time ordering the mixer of the drink I used to abuse, but that's just me
Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I have to agree with switching beverages. Anytime I drink a pepsi I flash back to shooting it down with Southern Comfort, not the other way around. You have to train your brain
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

After 9 years I still have a highball glass filled with Perrier and a lime when I come home and sit and read. This is also my drink of choice when in social situations or at a restaurant or bar when the situation requires. It is a "comfort" or pacifier if you will.

I have never worried about it, and I can't take sodas with the heavy taste or sugar. I will agree that if Coke was your primary mixer you may want to branch out into other beverages.

Just my experience,

Jon
Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Don't worry about it. You have to drink something and coke is better than N.A. beer which often does lead to relapse.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by augchange View Post

I now still stroll around the garden but with a coke in my hand which I am topping up constantly to fight away my urge.
Am I just fooing myself? I even sip it like a drink!
I dreampt last night I started drinking again. My resolve I had over the past few weeks is weak now that the honeymoon extacy is over.
There are some warning signs in your post.

I really think it's time to replace the coke with a different beverage.

* I don't know why someone would suggest that coke is better than NA beer when it wasn't asked about, but, whatever .
Old 10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Your disease is VERY clever.

Ask your conscious mind if you think it is a good idea. You know.

(Yeah... you do. You know. Quit bullshitting yourself. )
Old 10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your advice all. Stacks of food and beverage for thought there! Think I won't need to have any sleepless nights over that one.

bless you all
Old 10-18-2008, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum!

I've found water is the best beverage for me.

Good to know you are here...
Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thats not unusual. I drink like twelve diet cokes a day right now and I always feel like I have to have something to drink in my hand. I always try to tell myself progress not perfection and if i have given my disease to my higher power today and surrendered to alcoholism. Hang int here
Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of Crystal Light. There are a million flavors and I have the single drink packets too. I can order a glass of water anywhere and dump one right in. I have found that I really enjoy some of the more expensive drinks these days. Odwalla's, POM (pomegrante juice) drinks etc. I treat myself and never feel bad. I try to avoid too much soda because it messes with my system.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

2 beverages I discovered since I quit drinking:

-Tomatojuice with ice and fresh coriander

-Lapsang Souchong Formosa tea (the REAL smokey one)

In a social setting I usually order a tonic water, there is plenty of stuff out there to choose from. No need to stick with the Coca Cola since it obviously reminds you of the bad times and gives you a sense that something's "missing".
Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Of course it helps.

I still do it. I still have a pint glass next to me in the living room, the difference being i keep it topped up with lemonade and i'm nearly 5 months sober.

Take plenty of sugar in the early days, it does help the craving. I switched after a while to diet coke or lemonade, as i was drinking to much sugar drinks.

It's all psychological of course. It's rather like someone who is giving up smoking, turns to chewing gum, just to keep their mouth active.

If it works for you, then keep doing it, it works for me.

Paul
Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

When I quit drinking I quit sodas as well. Water is the best. I have several different water purifiers and a whole house water purification system. My clothes,skin, and inside of my body are so much cleaner. I have several different juicers as well to make fresh juice with. I love all kinds of teas my very favorite is mint tea that I grow myself. There are many types of mints and I like them all.

I have to stay away from sugar and artificial sweeteners if I want to stay healthy. Sodas are loaded with sugar. I like to make my own ginger ale with fresh ginger and Perrier water or even club soda I make a syrup with ginger and water and some raw sugar and add it to the water yum!!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are perhaps getting some kind of residual pleasure from "pretending to drink" .You may also be stimulated from the excessive amount of caffeine thats in the cokecola.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I quit, I decided to embrace the world of root beer-- there are some truly great (and some truly terrible) root beers out there. And I too drink it like I used to drink beer (ie at the end of a long day while sitting on my balcony), but with root beer I only drink one.

I agree with whoever mentioned water-- it's healing properties are wonderful. Water water water.

I also turn to straight tonic water in social settings, because I enjoy it and because no one realizes you're not drinking.

Lastly, I've become a huge Kombucha affectionado. I have one every morning, and it creates a path for a clear and positive day; and a clear and positive day makes it less likely that I'll want to end the day f*cked up.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mtn dew is great loaded with sugar and caffeine (LOL)
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oops just saw your location you may not have it sorry.