Notices

new to the manhattan soberscene

Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the manhattan soberscene

I just moved back to new york yesterday after a year spent in Florida getting sober...Rehab, relapse, finally will have four months on oct. 13...
Anyway, I don't know anyone who is sober in the city. I've looked up all the meetings but there are just so many to choose from it is a bit overwhelming.
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
Or is anyone in the NYC area who can maybe give me some personal experience?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey CalicoCruiser! I'm not familiar with NY but I just wanted to welcome you here. Congrats on the 4 months!

Hopefully out of all those meetings, you can find one close to home at a convenient time. When I went to my first meeting, the people there were very helpful, and they told me which other meetings they like too. That was especially cool because it helped me get to know people better when I saw them at different meetings.

Good luck & keep coming back
Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been to the clubhouse on 40-something street in the theater district a few times. Nice, friendly people - well what else would you expect?

Good sobriety is where you find it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I have relocated in recovery....

I find the cloest meeting to either my job or apartment.

Goof Luck...
Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm not familiar with the area either, and new to recovery. I've just gone to any meetings around me, at convenient times (isn't it amazing how many there are, all times of day!). I've hit a few meetings I wouldn't go back to, and found a few that I'd love to go back to every day!

Kinda a fresh start, relocation is.

I just sounded like yoda, sorry...

Good luck and congrats on the 4 months!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what time is the one on 40th

I work on 33rd as a bartender mostly nights but if i could find a meeting close to my work that i could attend before getting behind the bar slinging drinks and getting stressed......that would be great. even if there was one at 10 p.m. sometimes or midnight i could make that. everybody at my job drinks! managers, all the staff.......my fellow bartenders start drinking as soon as the rush ends.......i have/had to wait until i count my drawer to drink because i'll mess up my drawer count and be miserable. i was sober for about a week then slipped twice in the last few days. regretting it today! i was sober until i came home and the BF was drinking and pouting about his problems so i just had a few beers with him and he passed out......i stayed up and played computer games by myself. but i'm so tired from work and having a cold and taking cold meds that those few beers really did a number on me. so getting to a meeting near work would be great. let me know what you find and maybe i'll join you.

congrats & good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wow are you where it is at!!!!!!

First of all welcome to SR Calico!

There is a guy I know in my area that got sober in NY 20 years ago, he said he came out of detox, they told him to do 90+ meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor! Well he got a sponsor and proceeded on a whirlwind tour of thousands of AA meeting in NY. He said there is a meeting to be found 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!

Want a small or large meeting? They got them! Want a mens meeting, womens, straight, gay, hispanic, italian....etc. they have them! Want to meet actors & the like, there are meeting right at Broadway! Want high powered professionals, Wall street!

There are also a lot of Alano clubs in NY that you can hang around 24X7. Go to meetings early and help set up, stay a little late to help tear down, you will have a hard time not making friends and finding sober activities.