Notices

A little quitting advice?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little quitting advice?

Hello everyone!

I am a drunk who has just decided to get my life together, and it has been the hardest personal challenge I have ever faced!

I want to set a date to quit drinking, and I am concerned about the withdrawal period, and I have a question for those of you who gone through the process. I cannot afford detox, nor can my career take the hit, and I plan on seeing a doctor this week about going cold turkey through some sort of outpatient plan.

I currently drink up to two bottles of wine a night, and I have done so for several years. Would slowly scaling back on my alcohol consumption help avoid the withdrawal that I am sure to experience? If so, how much should I cut back, and how quickly/gradually should I do it?

Again, I am going to talk to a doctor about all of this, but any advice from those of you who have gone through this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Bluedog

Welcome! I'm glad you're here -- but more importantly I'm glad that you are making a good decision for yourself. It's scary to stop drinking when it has become a part of your life.

Talking with your doctor is very important. In some cases, alcohol withdrawal can cause medical emergencies, which is why detox is sometimes medically necessary. So do please talk with your doctor.

I saw this thread from Carol D -- in it, alot of people share their experiences with quitting alcohol. I hope it can help: Quitting..What to expect ..What we did

There is alot of support on these forums -- getting sober can be tough. So keep posting! We are glad you're here.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

In my opinion, cutting back, just prolongs the withdrawls. It's also really, really hard for an addict to cut back. Gosh, I tried that so many times and wasted so much time, trying to cut back. It never worked for very long.

But, it's great that you are talking to your dr. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

Focus on your recovery and know that you will need a lot of motivation, but you can do this!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! Speaking to your Dr. is a good start. If you think you can cut back your alcohol intake--great......I never could even when I wanted to. When I started drinking, I couldn't stop--until all the booze was gone or until I passed out. I have needed medical detox on more than one occasion. This last time I went to my Dr. and they helped me out. Detox can be deadly--especially if you are a heavy drinker...I always had the shakes, heart palpitations, etc toward the end. I couldn't detox on my own--I needed medical assistance.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there!

I am new here as well and like you I have realized I need to treat my body better.

I am really tired of feeling crappy, I am very scared at what lies ahead.

I am not going to drink today, that is all I know for sure.
I have tried to cut back and have been successful but eventually I am back in the same place.

Hang in there and keep coming back, this is a great place
Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bluedog- Welcome!
It's a big change. But it's well worth it! Glad you're checking with your doc. I need to make an appointment myself soon.

I'm sober just a few weeks now. Still not quite used to it, but things are slowly getting better. Hang in there.

Best to you!
BHJ
Old 10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome.

Yes - talk to your doctor.

Yes - have a plan.

Promise yourself - when/if YOUR plan fails, you will stop drinking COMPLETELY, no tapering off, no controlling it, but pure abstinence.

Keep coming back.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi bluedog 08,

My advice is to seek help after consulting a Doc. That's my experience!

I can't do it alone, some folks may be able to stay sober that way, I've never been able to do that. Stay in touch by posting on this board and listening to the advice freely offered here. Consider a support group (meetings) of people like yourself....people who want to stay sober.

My experience...30 years of misery

My strength...30 years of misery and surviving

My hope....you find peace through sobriety...it's real

God's Peace bluedog 08
Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BlueDog,
Welcome. I hope you find a way to live without alcohol. I found quitting cold turkey was the only way. I soon found out that alcohol was only a part of my problem. I started attending AA meetings and was introduced to the 12 steps as they are outlined in the Big Book. It has completely changed my life for the better.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would say go to AA. When you are there: get a sponsor (and use your sponsor), read the BB, do the 12 steps, get a homegroup (and get involved ), and don't take that first sip. In short, just do what they tell you, it works. It worked for me.

That's how I got and have stayed sober, ergo it is the only way I know how.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would have pm'd you but you don't have enough posts yet to respond.
The real good news is you never have to drink again if you are ready to be done for good.I have recovered alcoholic friends in and around Boston, they are Big Book guys, they will bring you through the steps. Let me know if you want their contact info.

One last thing, if anyone tells you to just don't drink and go to meetings, get away from them, if you are like me, this advice is worthless.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bluedog08,
Trust God that he can help u through this. We all have different kinds of problems. Hoever you are right in realizing there is a problem. i beleive you took a big step forward in realizing that. Good Luck to you!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Detoxing on your own is not easy but don't fret, it can be done. I'm glad you are going to see your doc. Be honest! Detoxing alone can be risky. One serious concern is the possibility of a seizure. Express this concern w/ your doc. Most likely, he will px meds to help you through. It won't take the suffering away but it will make it a little easier. I suggest to go to an inpatient detox. It's safer and you will not have any chance to run to the booze when detox gets tough. If you decide to do it at home, call a friend who can come wait it out with you and take you to the ER if needed. Cutting back won't work. It's do or die time bro. Congrats on coming back to the living! Keep reaching out! You are never alone.

Peace & ease
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Bluedog.

You have a plan for getting sober, stick with it.

Going to the doctor is a VERY good thing, be totally honest with the doctor about your drinking, this will allow him/her to determine if you can detox in or out patient and determine what type of meds you will need to get through it.

There are people who have "Weaned" them selfs off of alcohol successfully, but they are few and far between. I tried it many times myself and failed every time. I went to a doctor, I was totally honest and he sent me to inpatient detox, I will simply say that I could have never gone cold turkey alone, I thank God I listened to the doctor.

Now here is the bad news.... getting sober I learned was the easy part... STAYING sober was where the battle really began, dealing with the shakes, sweats, etc. was far easier to deal with for me then the total mental obsession I had for alcohol.

Most people can not stay sober alone, most use some sort of recovery program and support group for long term sobriety, in early sobriety and sometimes for a long time afterwards some folks go to therapist as well.

In my detox they emphasized to me/us that if we wanted a CHANCE at long term sobriety that we should go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well I was willing to do what ever it took to STAY sober, so I followed thier advice, it was not easy at first, but it got easier with time and working the steps with my sponsor.

My experience in staying sober has been that every time I tried to do it alone I wound up drunk again, once I was willing to admit to myself I had no idea how to stay sober and asked for the help of other recovering alcoholics and quit doing trying to stay sober alone, I was able to stay sober.