Notices

Ol Tex in some trouble and a very odd situation.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I've often wondered whether I could pass those field sobriety tests sober..I"m pretty clumsy.
You are not alone on that one Karen! LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dismember

The field tests aren't designed for a pass or fail. The are the officer's way of obtaining extra information about your state of being in the event of an arrest and trial. The tests in no way whatsoever are meant to test your sobriety level, nor are they going to let you go if you are able to recite the alphabet backwards perfectly. Incidentally, at least in my state and most, you have the right to refuse the field tests (but NOT the chemical tests.)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A point .27 is very drunk. All mental, physical and sensory functions would be severely impaired. If you were able to walk and talk normally then any officer should have known something wasn't right with the test result. You may have just gotten a rookie officer that didn't know any better but I'm suprised that someone else didn't catch the mistake.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have been pulled over many times and always failed field sobriety. I have been taken into the station and given breathalyzers and always passed so I was let go, no problem.

My physical story. I'm not on Atkins per se, but I don't eat at all. I'm had absolutely no appetite since my detox in January. I seriously am under 1000 calories per day and have been able to lose any weight. I don't have health insurance, so I finally just had to bite the bullet and pay up. Yes, they took 5 units of blood this morning. I kept almost falling asleep at work today. I had a full 8 hours of sleep last night, woke up and blew a .01, they took my blood, .00, but by the time I got to work, .04. Yet my mother drove me and my parents, who the lawyer thinks I should move in with for a few weeks, took all my cash and credit cards. I only have my license. After work today, where we are not allowed to have liquids at our desks, I blew a .11.

I don't know what is wrong with me. Thank you all for your concern. I'm going to bed super early today and try to eat something.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sounds like you believe yourself, not my job to say either way, I don't know. I'd like to offer a different perspective. How many times did you drive drunk and not get caught? If you are like me the answer is thousands. I believe it all comes back to us one way or the other. Just something to think about.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Sounds like you believe yourself, not my job to say either way, I don't know. I'd like to offer a different perspective. How many times did you drive drunk and not get caught? If you are like me the answer is thousands. I believe it all comes back to us one way or the other. Just something to think about.
Sounds to me like you are saying he deserves it.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
I have been pulled over many times and always failed field sobriety. I have been taken into the station and given breathalyzers and always passed so I was let go, no problem.
I'm kind of curious as to why you are given Field Sobriety Tests in the first place. Secondly, why are you failing them?
I've only been given three of them and I failed them all. There was a Reason for it however. But to be sober and asked to take a Field Sobriety Test just doesn't happen too often. Usually they have a reason to suspect you've been drinking in the first place.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Do some research on ketoacidosis and see if that may be involved.

The pertinant questions are:

1) what is it biochemically that the breathalyzer test detects (what is the exact chemical it detects, and how does it do so - what similar chemicals can cause the detection to register positive)
2) what OTHER than alcohol ingestion can result in producing the answer(s) to 1)
3) what conditions might you have that cause this biochemical pathway to be active

Diabetics can have ketoacidosis, but there are other metabolic conditions that may be involved. Also, you must double check your test equipment as mentioned, to know it's working properly and is calibrated. But if you have a condition that is producing a product that shows up on the equipment, then you will continue to show positive, and this will suggest you're not insane, but that there is real science going on here.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Tex,
I hope you doing well and staying strong.

I'm not trying to interrogate you here man and you certainly don't have to answer me, but what tests did they put you through?

You mentioned you had to go back for blood work - did you get the results yet?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

How many times did you drive drunk and not get caught? If you are like me the answer is thousands. I believe it all comes back to us one way or the other.
C'mon Rob that's uncalled for...

Going by that logic you'd better start saving up because you've got thousands of sober DUIs coming your way.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post

Going by that logic you'd better start saving up because you've got thousands of sober DUIs coming your way.

Now hold on. Rob's post reminds me of my calling it "karma" in one of my original posts. I did drive drunk many times and was never caught.

I wasn't offended. If I'm convicted, I have it coming.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Tex,
I hope you doing well and staying strong.

I'm not trying to interrogate you here man and you certainly don't have to answer me, but what tests did they put you through?

You mentioned you had to go back for blood work - did you get the results yet?
I was given field sobriety which I "failed" without being put through the entire thing. I was then given three breathalyzers at the substation where I blew a .26 then a .27, then a .08. I was transported to jail where I was given two more breathalyzers where I blew a .16 and then a .10. less than 5 minutes later. And I know it takes a few hours fr alcohol to come out of your system.

Like I said, the first thing the doctor at jail asked was how was I concious. He was a little confused that my BAC had dropped from .27 to .16 in a half hour.

I don't have the greatest home breathalyzer and I did follow all the directions to calibrate it right. That doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. I used some mouthwash the other morning, just to test it, and I blew a .42. So I'm sure it's not accurate all the time, but using it over a period of time gives it some validity.

My blood was actually drawn on advice from my MD, not the police or lawyer. Although I'm sure it's not a bad thing that it was drawn. Blood results this morning, but I'll have no idea how to interpret them, but I've got a nurse whose agreed to let me know, because I don't see the doctor until tomorrow. I'm just paranoid.

BTW, I just woke up and blew a .13 on my little device. If you care, it's called an AlcoHawk.

Off to work. The lawyer is positive this is all going to be dismissed, but I'm still concerned.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
If I'm convicted, I have it coming.
I guess there is really no need to worry one way or another then.

I'm still curious as to what tests they actually put you through...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I guess there is really no need to worry one way or another then.

I'm still curious as to what tests they actually put you through...

Half a field sobriety before I demanded a breathalyzer or blood test. Then was given at least 6 breathalyzers which blew all over the place, no blood test.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Most places do a breathalyzer in the field and then do the blood which is fool proof.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjhook View Post
Sounds to me like you are saying he deserves it.
I don't mince words. If I thought he deserved it, I would say you deserve it. I offered a consideration, which Tex received well. Honestly, it sounds like a lousy deal and personally I hope he gets off, that's how I feel.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

If I were to spend the remainder of my life in prison for my past, that would be justice, and I would be at peace with it, knowing it was God's will for me. You never know where you will be asked to serve.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

If I were to spend the remainder of my life in prison for my past, that would be justice, and I would be at peace with it, knowing it was God's will for me. You never know where you will be asked to serve.
That's a great attitude.

Just a word of caution though - it's not wise to impose or imply justice regarding someone other than yourself.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Lol--

"It's not wise to xxxxxxxx"

Isn't that the same thing? It's okay for one to give advice on wise vs unwise, but it's not okay to offer a perspective for consideration?

It's like saying "Rob B is a jerk for calling so-and-so a jerk"

(for the record - I am not saying Rob B is a jerk, because I don't think he is)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am sorry, but I do not believe that justice deferred and imposed capriciously is justice at all. It is dangerous. Every defendant with a past could be prosecuted/persecuted for who they WERE.

The law is not the creator. The law can address only what is in front of it. There is a reason why she (Justice) wears a blindfold.

We admitted addicts suffer enough from our conscience. I believe our goal in recovery should be to stand proud and tall for who we are TODAY. Otherwise we are climbing Everest with a backpack filled with rocks.

Let us not assign ourselves easily to a lower caste. I think in many ways, the opposite is true. Those who have experienced combat know more about the human condition, and what it takes to be human, than those who haven't.

I am not disagreeing with anyone here; I am only asserting my own feelings, as these are the very issues I face daily.

warren