Notices

Finding A Rehab Isn't So Easy

Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding A Rehab Isn't So Easy

Well I'm looking to head into a in-patient rehab because it's clearly what I desperately need. I need to be locked up for a little while. I have no insurance so my options are very, very limited. Even Salvation Army (which I went to in 2004) isn't taking anyone right now. Welcome to America I guess. My drinking is out of control and I am very angry at myself. I realize that detoxing will be dangerous for me this but I have no choice. I have been to 3 E.R.'s the last view weeks begging them to take me for 3-4 days or give me a script for Valium ect... but they just release me. I'm thinking about going back to the pysch ward because they do detox me. I'm physically addicted to alcohol at this point. O well thats me glorious life.

tiburon
Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I'm sorry, Tib. I know how frustrating this all must be. Keep trying until someone takes you. I wish you well and I wish you safe.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, no insurance on this end either. Maybe someone will come along here any minute and make some suggestions. There has to be something out there.

Hang in there,

Ed
Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got drunk and punched a Cop once. That's good for a couple weeks of drying up time. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. You can go to all the Detoxes and Rehabs you want but the time will come when it's going to be back on you and your desire.
You know what goes on in Rehab? It's a residential AA meeting.
Rehab doesn't make you honest. Rehab doesn't increase your desire to quit drinking and Rehab doesn't make it any easier. Truth be told Most Rehab graduates are drunk within a couple weeks of the cup hanging. Do you want to know why? They don't follow the prescribed "Treatment Plan".
This "Treatment Plan" is nothing more than Aftercare. Aftercare is an AA meeting for Rehab Graduates. Your Treatment Plan suggests that when Aftercare is over (1 Year) you go to AA Meetings.
You don't have to follow the suggested Treatment Plan if you don't want to. You'll just end up drinking again and blaming Rehab for not getting you sober.
Us drunks don't like any of the burden of personal responsibility laid on our shoulders.
I can save you $10,000.00 dollars and tell you everything Rehab is going to say. "Go to AA"
I can save you the legal reprecussions of punching the Cop even though that is guaranteed to get you dry. The cool thing is that AA comes to you when you're in the can.
This is between you and God. A bunch of hugs and prayers on an Internet Discussion Forum is going to kill you.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I once went to a rehab that was called Horizins. It wasn't 12 step based and we were not indocturated into that system. I had insurance then though.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did it work?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It worked for 10 months.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I once went to a rehab that was called Horizins. It wasn't 12 step based and we were not indocturated into that system. I had insurance then though.
How long did you stay sober after this rehab, tib? This may or may not apply to you, but I'll tell you what I've learned from most folks (including me) who've gone to multiple rehabs. They didn't have the willingness to do what it takes to be sober. They had the desire for the consequences of their drinking to be removed. They had the desire to heal up long enough to get it together so they could again try drinking like a "normal" person. They had the desire to slow it down long enough so that they could keep on going.

I do not question your need for medical attention. I do question what you think another rehab is going to give you that you didn't get from the other rehabs you've been in. It's not going to give you willingness. That you have to bring to the table. If the Horizon rehab taught you what you need to stay sober and you're willing, sober up enough that you're in full withdrawals, then land on the ER doorstep. What choice will they have but to finish detoxing you?

I send good thoughts your way, tib.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey Tib...I saw your post and wanted to respond
My son had no insurance when he desperately needed help. I put his name on a waiting list. It took a little time (a few weeks) but when they called, he still needed the bed, and took it, and they arranged the help. It seems most of the rehabs have a few designated beds for assisted care.
Don't pass up the chance because it isn't there right this minute.
Make the calls (I called a hotline from the phone book, they gave me numbers)
Something just may come available, just when you need it most.
Wishing you the best...
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It worked for 10 months.
Then what happened?
Remember my first post here when I said it goes back on you? That's what happened. It went back on you and Self-Reliance didn't work.
That's what AA does. It put's your life into Gods hands because Self-Reliance had let us all down. (Repeat) Self Reliance let us all down.
AA doesn't get you sober. It doesn't remove your desire to drink.
It helps you to deal with life as a Sober Person.
I couldn't function as a Sober Person. I was totally lost because of the fact that Alcohol was part of the way I dealt with a life I wasn't happy with. Take the Alcohol out of the picture and I was stuck in a life I wasn't happy with. Only I couldn't run and hide inside a bottle anymore. Now what!!!
I'll be the first to tell you that quitting wasn't easy. I spent the first couple of months sitting on my hands.
I had to find a way to deal with sobriety. That's what AA does.
If you think AA will make quitting easy, it won't. If you think AA will remove your desire to drink, it won't. If you think Meetings will get you sober, they won't.
Maybe you expected that. Maybe that's why you're disillusioned with AA. You may have expected something from AA that AA couldn't deliver.
Like said, This is between you and God. Go find God. He hangs out in AA meetings.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you do have other issues....I think your idea of
a pysch ward is wise.
I've "gratuated" from 3 and found each had good medical care.

I did however...return to alcohol after I left.
:brick:
I was in AA 5 years before I earned
a 1 year chip.

After reading "Under The Influence"
I finally quit drinking
I use God and AA to stay a non drinker.

Thats all I can share...my experiences.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tib.....I went to AA for 9 months and couldn't get sober...I went to treatment and got sober...I do now attend aa and have 14 months. I needed treatment for medical and mental reasons. I've never regretted it. 3 of went to treatment at that center from our home town (didn't know each other). All three of us are sober today.

Maybe there is a higher power that has different plans for different people....just a thought!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by cece1960 View Post
I put his name on a waiting list. It took a little time (a few weeks) but when they called, he still needed the bed, and took it, and they arranged the help.

(I called a hotline from the phone book, they gave me numbers)

This is what I did, I had a bed within a week for the program. I didn't need detox because I was already clean but I had to call every day for a "bed check". Just keep trying!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tib, if you just call the crisis intervention number in your phone book they should be able to get you some kind of help.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Do you know any AA members who would be willing to babysit (for want of a better word) you? As in come and hang out with you while you detox yourself etc...

I know in my country, this still happens and some AA members are placed that they are able to do this.

I know you don't really 'believe in AA' but if there is someone there willing to help, go for your life I say.

Go to a meeting, try not to drink before hand but if you gotta, you gotta, then speak at the right time and say it and ask for help.....you just never know.

:ghug3
Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Tib...

It was suggested to me by good people here at SR that there are free/sliding scale mental health clinics available in many cities. You may need individualized attention to stay sober once you've detoxed in rehab...and, after you are out, you may not be able to find that attention in any group. Doctors at these clinics should be able to help you with your addiction. You live in a fairly large city...crack open a phone book and start calling some places. Please don't give up. Find someone who specializes in addictions who WILL help you.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I pray you find the help you seek.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Tiburon,
I hope you find what you need. ! enjoy your posts and perspective. As for whether or not rehab is the way... a guy once told me that if you really want to get sober and you hear that peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will get you sober, then stock up on the Skippy because that's all you'll eat - and you'll get sober.
I did it one step better. I took the sandwich maker job at an AA meeting and whomped up 100 pb and j's a week. Ate most of 'em too. Now I'm sober 12 years... and diabetic. Go figure.
Mike in Boston
Old 10-04-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Since I'm self employed, I don't have insurance either. We have a wonderful clinic here that is specifically for non-insurance people. It's modern, clean and have real doctors. That's what I did. It was anywhere from $65 - $90 a visit. This is here in ABQ, there has to be a place like that in Chicago.

They did detox me as an outpatient, but it came with a ton of conditions.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Well I'm looking to head into a in-patient rehab because it's clearly what I desperately need. I need to be locked up for a little while.
If you are serious about in-patient long-term rehab try:

http://www.denverrescuemission.org/

Harvest Farm - Denver Rescue Mission

;