Notices

I'm scared

Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm scared

I am so scared. I just called to set up an appt with my DUI school. They will also require me to go to AA meetings. But... I am TERRIFIED. I'm so scared of having to say "hi, my name is ****, and I am an alcoholic". I'm not sure if I am/was one or not. I'm so confused. I had only been drinking for a few months before the incident. And only 2 days out of the month. I never drank alone. and never thought about drinking when i wasn't. I used to consider myself a social drinker (for those few months). My problem with alcohol was that when i drank, i drank too much... blacked out and threw up almost every single time i drank... and made bad choices every single time as well.

I don't have any cravings for alcohol, never did. Ugh, I wish I had never started drinking.. it ruined my life.....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I don't think they force you. Call and find out. I don't think I'd like saying it either. On the other hand..........I think those who do are very brave You could always say......"Hi my name is ***** and I'm a very good binge drinker" Works for me!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a friend who got a dwi and he had to got to meetings.A lot of the time he would call me to give him a ride home and we'd hit the bar ! LOL.More likely than not they are mandatory.Don't be afraid.Just do it.You don't owe the people in the room anything.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your typical AA meeting does not require you to admit you are alcoholic. When called upon, if you don't want to share, feel free to tell them that you are just there to listen. It would be nice to at least tell them your name, but not required either. It is a good opportunity to just sit and listen to others. Also, don't be afraid or discouraged if you don't like the people in the meeting, it took me trying about 10 different groups to find a few that I liked.

Above all, talk to an attorney (if you haven't already). I can't emphasize that enough. DUI laws differ from state to state so when someone says in this forum that they got a certain deal, it does not necessarily apply to you.

Get sober for yourself and get the attorney to deal with the legal ramifications of the DUI.

Thanks for posting and keep moving forward, sobriety gets better every day.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Group I go to on Sundays has decided to sign the paperwork before the meeting starts. The Court Apointees get their paperwork signed and leave. Nowhere does it say that the Apointees must sit through the entire hour.
It's a win/win for everyone.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe that by signing the paper before the meeting, you are denying that person the chance to have the seed of recovery from alcoholism planted. I know of very few people
when mandated to go to AA meeting as a requirement placed upon them, went with
the willingness of someone who went by their own free will, but I have seen those same people stay, and keep coming back, because of the knowledge of the disease that they were exposed to, even if they chose another program to help them recover, it might
save them from many more years of drinking to excess, and never knowing why.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you will find AA is a decent group that accepts honesty above all. If you want to stop drinking say "I'm so and so and I have a desire to stop drinking" thats all that is required for membership....hell I've seen people say "I'm so and so and I'm getting some court appointed meeting time"