Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I am 24 and feel I am too young to have a problem BUT

Notices

I am 24 and feel I am too young to have a problem BUT

Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I am 24 and feel I am too young to have a problem BUT

I know I have a drinking problem and have had this problem since about the age of 21. I mean in the last 2 months there have been 3 incidents from drinking.

1. Went camping got really drunk because I drink really quick and in large quantities. I had around 15-20 beers and well I blacked out, fell in a fire and had almost 3rd degree burn on my ankle.

2. Went camping again to a different place, drank a lot we were loud and the end result was getting kicked out of cam site on first night. As well out of like 9 of us I was the only one that got arrested and put into drunk tank. Wasnt charged nor ticketed. Once again blacked out.

3. The very next night got hammered at a friends place and played fooseball and euchre all night and eventually blacked out and passed out in garage, where my friends had to lift me inside onto the couch.

4. This past Friday I got really drunk right after work while playing golf, than going to a restaurant than to a club. I had 5 tall boys while golfing 9 holes, like 5 pints at restaurant and maybe 2 beers at pool hall and 2 or 3 beers at club. I than blacked out and took a taxi home well tried too. I passed out and he for some reason thought I wasnt going to pay so called the cops and than I snapped on the cabbie which I had the money but had to take it out of ATM, the cab fee was 37$ and for some reason i took 200 out of bank machine but dont remember. i only gave cabbie 40 thank god. Than this girl I really liked I guess I called her like 12 times at 1 30 in morning not even realizing it. So she woke up next day and saw all the missed calls and snapped on me now were not dating because of that and other issues that were alcohol related.

So thats 4 issues in last like 40 days, I cant continue to hurt those around me and most importantly continue to hurt myself.

Another incident last week I got drunk by myself while playing xbox and drank 11 beers in a sitting and had to work next morning. Once again I blacked out and woke up at 3am realizing I had to be at work in 3 hrs and didnt have alarm set.

I am sad, confused, lost and just know I ll be much happier without alcohol.

Sorry for the long write up
Old 09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

I'm so pleased you are here and Yes!
most of our members do understand.

You are being really wise to cut out alcohol
before it becomes a worse problem.
Good for you!

Like you....my drinking did not cause problems
for awhile....then each problem I had
drinking was always present.

Keep posting with us...ask questions if you want.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link....blackouts are discussed on #17
but do read all of it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

And you are not too young to have a serious problem.
Alcohol is a toxin. It damages your mind and body.

Don't let your future slide by for alcohol.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

well, welcome first of all Unfortunately I am also young and dealing with being an alcholic..And on the same note...Fortunately I am young, and gratefull that I recognized my disease and love myself and life enough to do something about it..I am 25 and have battled with the " am I or arent I an alcholic" for years...drinking and partying carelessly since about 19....I am also a blackout drinker, which I learned several years ago is a very definite warning sign of a alchohol problem..but alas I continued to drink, to get drunk..almost 99.9 % of the time I drank, which is another very definite sign of alcholism-not being able to have just one and cut myself off without resentment for not being able to have another and another- No I was a " if I am going to drink, I want to get drunk" type drinker..anyways..I continued, and continued to black out and do lots of very embarassing, idiotic, senseless random things, I made stupid and often uncharastic choices, lost money, lost phones,lost friends,made "friends" with total random strangers,mouthed off,acted a fool,was a laughing joke on many occasion,pissed people off,fell on my face, gave myself bruises and fat lips,drove my car,drove into other peoples parked cars while driving intoxicated,drunk dialed,said things I regret, hit on nasty men I didnt like even though I was in a comitted relationship,missed work because of hangovers,drank on my lunch break to make the headache go away, god the list goes on and on..all of these things I often woke up and had to rack my brain to remember and ask someone to help me put together the peices of my blackouts...all of these things I ignored and made excuses for my behavior, I surrounded myself with less and less quality people so that my problem drinking was more acceptable..It was a viscious cycle..I didnt know how to go out and have "fun" without drinking..eventhough it stopped being fun a long time ago..innevitably I always ended up mith some regret from the night before, that is if I rememberd anything and then finally I had enough..finally I didnt care anymore...I couldnt handle the INCOMPRHENSIBLE DEMORALIZATION drinking gave me...the anxiety the next day and guilt and fear and shame over my drunken blackouts..I realized I had a problem..yes I am young and yes its hard to be one of the only ones that no longer drinks..but God am I thankfull for my sobriety..I feel so good, the clarity is priceless.The weight is off my shoulders. I Know that going to AA meetings is the only way I have been able to stop, would you be willing to try one and just listen? See if anything hits home..Lastly dont feel ashamed if you discover that you are an alchoholic, its a disease..like being diabetic and not being able to eat sugar...some of us are "allergic" to alchohol. Simple as that Your not a bad person or damaged goods...Best of luck to you figuring out what your looking for
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking at 22 and have a handful friends who did the same or earlier. One guy I know is 31 and has 13 years sobriety. You're never too young to fix your sh1tty life.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

For me, age was not a factor in alcoholism. My alcoholism emerged the very first time I drank.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I began drinking at age 11, and I too recognize that the cravings, the inability to control how much I drank and the inability to WANT to control what I drank was present from the beginning. I found out about AA and began my life to sobriety when I was 26 a year after my first son was born. I am now 49, with 4 lovley angels, who also understand and know alchoholism and recovery extensively. Age is definitely not a factor and it is wonderful that you have come to this site to find help.

May you begin to find your way today, one day at a time.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!

I'm 24 as well. I know you may feel as though it's a young age to be dealing with such an issue. I thought the same exact thing for quite some time before coming to the realization that I was living in denial, thinking that I could control something that I could NOT. I tried controlling the drinking, and drinking in moderation. (ha never quite worked out that way in the end.) I classified myself a binge drinker. One drink was never enough. If there was just one beer in the fridge, I'd rather not drink at all than have just one. Or, I'd drink it and go out for a 12 pack...

It takes some courage to accept that you just can't drink socially like most people. This is especially the fact when everything you do with friends involves alcohol. I am currently on day 15 of sobriety and I can't remember the last time I felt this good! It has not been easy giving up my normal Friday night routine. I've found the best thing to do is replace the time you'd normally be spending drinking/hungover with something positive. I've taken up running and it has done wonders for me...

You definitely get to a point where you realize the harm alcohol is doing to your life. Whether it's physically, issues with the law, mentally, financially, or destroying/preventing relationships. Since i've stopped drinking all of these areas are starting to look up for me.

Good luck and keep posting/reading!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, weatherman. Welcome to SR!

I was about 22 when my drinking was beginning to be a problem. I think you'll find that there are actually several others on this site who began having a problem with alcohol at earlier ages than that. Sugah is right. Age doesn't matter...you can never be too young to have a problem. It's good that you are asking yourself questions now. Keep reading and posting. Peace.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think it's great that you realize that drinking is becoming a problem... Believe me, it takes a lot more than blacking out for some of us to come to that realization...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Young people should learn whether or not they can handle the effect alcohol has on them.I see too many young men getting totally out of hand when they drink.
In a local publick house a young guy was dancing on a table.The doorman told him to get down.The guy dancing on the table got down , attacked the doorman , put him into a choke hold and wouldn't let go until well after the guy blacked out.Other patrons couldn't get the guy to let go.The doorman suffered a heart attack , went on life support , and then died a few days later.
The doorman was a corrections officer trying to make extra money for his family.The attacker is facing second degree murder charges and is in Rikers Island prison.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Hello and welcome. You are very lucky if you are seeing it at an early age and will do the work to stop. This is a crucial time for you, a pivital point in your life. You know you shouldn't drink. Things that you do probably won't be as much fun like campfires and hanging out with certain drunk friends. You may even decide not to be around them. You'd be surprised how annoying drinkers are when you are sober. lol You might even get a "nose" for it. I can smell whose been drinking in a crowd by the smell of them. Sick huh?
I am going to pray so hard for you. I would love to see one person in my life who is a drinker who is young to actually see it as a problem and stop.
So much life ahead of you and I can promise you that good things will continue to happen to you.
I wish you the best of luck.
I was a really good binge drinker myself
Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, I am really impressed with all of the positive feedback, was not expecting this at all. I appreciate some of the stories you have shared and well it is only day 3 of sobriety but I have this hurdle set as a huge goal for myself and those suffering from it. The hardest part will be when I am with my friends who will all be drinking, that is when I will decide whether or not to continue to be around those people. I think I will be fine in that aspect, but I am so excited to be going onto the next chapter of my life and putting alcohol behind me. I will this week try to get myself into a positive hobby, I read that someone started to do some running and I just might have to give that a shot. Keep the feedback coming I will keep updating my status with you all.

Thank-you and as said earlier much appreciated
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started feeling the signs when I was 17 in high school and now in college they have all escalated. And I'm affraid that when I'm legal and can drink whenever I want I am affraid I may drink myslef to death.
So yea nevere too young.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started drinking at 21 also and am now 24, too. Started problem drinking about 4 months before my 22nd birthday and haven't looked back. I already have fatty liver/inflammation that hurts on my right side everyday so you're never too young to have a problem.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

I got sober at 22. Age dosent matter.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

GOOD LUCK!!!Keep posting on here too it helps me alot, Im only on five weeks and this is my fourth time getting sober but this forum has helped immensely! We all love ya on here and are rooting for you
Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leweatherman View Post
I know I have a drinking problem and have had this problem since about the age of 21.
Just my thoughts, nothing original, but I was an alcoholic the day I was born, a practicing alcoholic the day I took my first drink. I can look back now and see it was only a matter of my disease progressing from stage 1 to stage 2. When I took my first drink at the age of 14 I was an alcoholic, when I got my first DUI at 15 I was an alcoholic.

WELCOME!!!

Last edited by sailorjohn; 09-22-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot the welcome!