Notices

Items that Remind you of Alcohol

Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Items that Remind you of Alcohol

When you were in recovery, did you keep the items that reminded you of alcohol like shot glasses, beer glasses, beer bottles, promotional items for certain brands of alcohol, etc.?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No I did not.
Didn't need them any more
I keep a booze free home as a non drinker.

I sold the bar and bar stools.
Wrapped the crystal glasses in sets
and gave them away as gifts to drinkers.

What is your plan?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I collect shot glasses. I probably have over 200 of them. I started this years and years ago, back when I really COULD drink like a "normal" person. The shot glasses didn't even have anything to do with drinking - that's just what I collected, because you can usually find one no matter where you are.

For right now, it's not bothering me having them around... maybe because I don't really associate them with drinking (I very rarely used any of them because I was afraid I'd break one LOL).
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

I got rid of it all. Booze free home here. I wanted no reminders.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a favorite wine glass and when I quit, for the last time, I got rid of it.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I also collect shot glasses. I do not keep anything that has alcoholic advertisement on it. I love football and if there is a liquor add on it, I usually toss it. I'm just totally against advertising something I feel is pure poison now.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I collect shot glasses too. Not too many, only recently started in the last few years. And as far as that goes, I do not indend to get rid of them. Nor do they tempt me to drink and never did. Just a collection. I have an aunt that collected match books and never smoked. So I think its all how you feel. If you think you cannot have it around then get rid of it.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everything went with the alcohol. I was collecting shot glasses but I used them quite often.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Over the years most of that I have given away or thrown away. About the only thing I still have is an unopened can of "Billary Beer". I keep that because it is a collectors item. It is a pun on Bill and Hillary Clinton. It came out when he was running for President. Other than that I have two wine glasses that I keep in the house for friends who drink to use when they are over as I do have a few normie friends.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All I have is a t-shirt from a pub crawl I did at the end of my first year in my graduate program. It's still in my closet. I know I'm never going to wear it again but might keep it around as a reminder. I was soooo sick the day after that pub crawl, and I don't remember most of the night itself, but it was supposed to have been a great time. I wouldn't know!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got rid of all my paraphrenalia, even my "Drinking T-shirts".
Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I did not have anything really. I was drinking out of tumblers and coffee cups to hide at the end. So I had nothing to get rid of. And I am not getting rid of my coffee cups! lol
Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Didn't have to. While I was away in a 13 month rehab program my sister threw them all out, along with just about every other thing I owned.

She was trying to burn all my bridges behind me so I could not return to the home I once owned. It almost worked. The house is still vacant and I might be able to get it back someday.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I still have shot glasses and beer glasses, but rarely ever used them for alcohol. Those items are just like every other piece of "collectable" junk I own--I never use it and it takes up space.

I never had any uses for shot glasses other than decoration. I never measured when I poured.

I don't know if I'll ever get rid of them. If I do, it's because I want to make more space for myself. I have a really bad habit of holding onto everything. Oh yeah, "pack rat" is the term I'm thinking of...that's me...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I still have some large glass beer mugs, use them for drinking soda, ice tea, and lemonade out of. I also have wine glasses, I use those for serving OJ at breakfast and my GF has a glass of wine every now and then.

Having the glassware doesn't bother me, but having beer bottles in the house is a definite no.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The beer bong that is forever present in my kitchen...

i'd toss it, but my roommate still funnels beer from time to time.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LOL, I lost everything I owned so many times I can no longer count including the coasters I collected from around my drunken haunts.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
God's Kid

I gave what personal items I had to a friend before I went to treatment BUT before I went to treatment we had an argument, so I never got them back. God took care of that one for me! Not only the items but the friendship since it was based on drinking and using. My friend was quite funny tho in the sense that we had this deal that if we'd been out drinking I'd have to ring her when she got home to stop her laying into her partner/BF. She had some serious anger issues!