Notices

PAYING attention to alcohol FREE living.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

PAYING attention to alcohol FREE living.

Well,
I've decided to stop drinking for good. After wondering why I became an alcoholic (genes, stress, SSRIs, etc.) I've decided to stop making it so complicated and just eliminate the common denominator of my problems as of late --> Alcohol.

So today is my third day without alcohol and I don't even miss it a bit. I was on a plane this afternoon and the girl in front of me ordered a double shot bloody mary. I didn't envy her a bit...

Sometimes I even wonder if I want alcohol just because I know I shouldn't have it - the ol' "wantin' what you can't have" syndrome.

This time I have more of a reason to give it up - I promised my aunt, who may only have 6 months to a year to live (stage IV cancer) that I would call her sober every day and we would talk about what we are thankful for TODAY.

If you are religious, please keep her in you prayers - that would really mean a lot to me.

Thanks everyone - here is to the close of my third sober day and a sobriety date of September 19, 2008.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for peace going to your aunt.
May her transition be as painless as possible.

Well done on your decision....
Please let us know if we can help you
Old 09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lost 2 aunts the same year from cancer about 2 years ago. They were both beautiful christian people. One was a missionary nurse in Pakistan for over 20 years. I keep their pictures close by for guiding angels. :praying
Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Thanks Carol and Nth,

I really appreciate it and I KNOW my aunt appreciates it as well.

Here is to wrapping up the 4th day without a drink...despite my hotel having free wine and beer for two hours. I went down had some food and marched my butt right back to my room.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on four sober days. I hope for peace for you and for your aunt and will keep you both in my prayers. :praying

Whatever you're doing to keep from drinking, you must be doing it right! Keep moving forward!

:ghug3
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on four sober days. I hope for peace for you and for your aunt and will keep you both in my prayers.

Whatever you're doing to keep from drinking, you must be doing it right! Keep moving forward!
Thanks least,

Well I'm not quite sure what I'm doing, but I know what I'm not doing - I'm not letting myself think too much about it, because when I do bad things happen.

I've got too many reasons not to drink these days...
1. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired
2. It costs me both money and life that I'd rather be saving
3. My aunt may be dying and I want to be there for her sober
4. My girlfriend said she won't move in with me until I have 90 days without a drink and I want her to move in before the cold weather really hits (it's my butt that'll be moving her! )
Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You sound very determined and focused. I like that. Good job. Being there for your aunt is a great incentive to stay off the booze.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My prayers for your Aunt and your family.

Congrats on I think 5 days now.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Well done! I'm on SSRI's as well (from your other thread) and have had 18 days with no drink. I've had occasional cravings, but I play the tape all the way through and that has been enough to stop me.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Hi gang,

Today is day 7, no major problems until today really. The night before last I had to get a drink from the serve yourself spout right next to the beer tap and that wasn't a huge deal.

I flew home yesterday and the lady sitting next to me had a glass of wine - no big deal.

But today I'm just in a very blah mood and really wouldn't mind having some beers. Oh well - I just have to keep telling myself logic must win over emotion in this case.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 7 days. One thing I would suggest is to have something else always in the works ahead of time just in case that urge to drink gets really strong. Call it a sobriety action list.

Write down in order what other people do to stay sober that you are not doing right now.

Now, be willing if you really feel you are going to drink to grab that list instead and pick one item on that list and be willing to try that.

Think about it this way, the second a drink starts becoming a good idea, grab that list and be willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your few day. TThink about this. A few days can turn into a few weeks and a few weeks can turn into a few month and a few months can turn into a few years. Hang in there the longer you stay sober the better life gets. I am coming up on 19 years sober soon and the ride has been REALLY worth it. I am a Christian and a firm believer that everything happens for Gods purpose. He has a plan for your life. Stay sober and surrender it all to Him.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Intersting how boredom seems to be a universal trigger. I love being sober and was feeling quite euphoric about it all day and then tonight when my boyfriend was in the other room I fondled his tequila bottle and thought, one slug off the tequila bottle. Just one - no one would know - no big deal. People have one shot, etc. and it's no biggie. I found it intersting how my alcoholism lays in wait for me and each day is a decision not to drink. Just minutes before I had been thinking about how much better my life is without it. Although it gets easier and easier, tonight reinforced the whole one day at a time motto. One day at a time, one decision at a time, until it's a habit.

Veritas - one whole week sober? Fantastic. It gets even better!! Thanks for checking in.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This disease is cunning, baffling, powerful. Many a time I have been living a sober life when,,,BANG!....the opportunity to sneak a drink presents itself. Comes from nowhere. Have had the bottle in my hand and then....I THINK,THINK,THINK. and then it's NO, NO, NO. Another help is.....no alcohol in my house, if I have to go get it ,it gives me time to consider the consequences. Works for me..
Old 09-27-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

How you doing? 7 days is awesome!!! Way to go
Old 09-28-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Alcohol-free lifestyle.

Great way of life.

I highly recommend it.

(Forever is too long of a time tho'... so I tell myself I can drink when I'm 80.)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Thanks everyone for you kind words and thoughts...

I'm feeling pretty low right now - I drank over the weekend and I'm very disappointed in myself.

So here is what seems to be another day one...*sigh*
Old 09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do'nt give up trying. Dust yourself off and try again. It took me several months of trying and failing before I finally 'got it right'. Don't give up on yourself.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hold your head up! So you drank.It's over. You start again. You don't want to feel disgusted, guilty, full of remorse and self-pity do you?
Just say, every morning....just for to-day I won't have a drink.....or just for this hour I won't have a drink....whatever it takes. Before you know it, many to-days will have passed and you will still be sober. Learn from the slip and move on. We only have to-day.