Notices

Loss of Enjoyment in Life

Old 09-27-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wow, what a great thread. I drank hard and heavy (yet fully functional ---in my eyes, anyway!) for 30 years. I was scared to death to function sober. Now, every new thing is an adventure, as to how to do it sober. I have yet to be disappointed.

I will CELEBRATE 100 days, tomorrow. So, while that is huge for me, some of you will say I'm too new to sobriety to say what I'm going to...but, I'm going to anyway.... I KNOW, I will not drink again. Be sorely tempted...no doubt....but I won't. I just won't. I have had more than my share of experience with alcohol to know that if I drink, I die. Simple as that. And I'm too damn mean to give up my life, yet.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
I will CELEBRATE 100 days, tomorrow. So, while that is huge for me, some of you will say I'm too new to sobriety to say what I'm going to...but, I'm going to anyway.... I KNOW, I will not drink again. Be sorely tempted...no doubt....but I won't. I just won't. I have had more than my share of experience with alcohol to know that if I drink, I die. Simple as that. And I'm too damn mean to give up my life, yet.
Is this the first time you have tried to stop drinking? (in other words - Have you ever said "I am done drinking" before?)

Congrats on 100 days!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
6/20/08

SugEr...I've quit a few other times. For pregnanacies. Once for a month for a medical procedure...I didn't want to embarrass myself when they had to give me 10x the normal amount of meds to knock me out....(they need an eye rolling emoticon!). But each time, I knew it was just a matter of time before I picked up, again. It was always in the back of my mind.

This time....I was/am soooooooo ready to be done. I just keep remembering what an a$$ I can be drunk, it's enough to scare me straight. I think I've finally screwed up enough, I can handle being sober, and love it.

Thanks for the congrats....I truly am grateful!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There's nothing wrong with Alcohol. There is something wrong with the way I was drinking it. By pointing towards Alcohol and saying how bad the stuff is I am in essence "Blaming" something else instead of accepting the fact that I am an Alcoholic and I can't drink the stuff. I'll put it back on myself every time.
Pg. 103 says not to show an intolerance towards Alcohol. Mainly because someday we may have a chance to help another Alcoholic. If we just take the attitude that Alcohol is evil we may be viewed as a prohibitionist or a "Witch Burner" as the book says we will not gain the trust that we need to help a newcomer.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 100 days coffeenut!!
:HONYnewyear025firew