Notices

Why I'm quitting alcohol...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I'm quitting alcohol...

because the after effects make everyday life very difficult.Bad nerves/jitters/panic attacks.Simple things like picking up the mail at the post office require me to gather up the " nerve" to go inside.
I picked up some beer today at the beverage barn and when I was done and out by my car I got a bad case of the shakes.My hands were visibly shaking.
But I did take a puff of primatene about 5 minutes before I went in.
But now that I'm thinking about it a major trigger might have been that a little earlier I was at a railroad crossing that had the gates down and the train went by a little bit later , bringing back the stress of the accident I had last November when my van was destroyed by a train after I got stuck on the tracks during a snow/sleet storm !
If abstaining doesn't improve my life I guess I'll just have to suck up the fact I have some kind of panic disorder.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Arrow

Originally Posted by NYMinute View Post
If abstaining doesn't improve my life I guess I'll just have to suck up the fact I have some kind of panic disorder.
Abstaining does not treat alcoholism.

Alcoholism is a threefold disease;

1. A physical craving of the body
2. A mental obsession of the mind
3. A spiritual malady of the Psyche

Abstaining treats only treats #1.
It takes a psychological program to treat #2
It takes a spiritual program to treat #3
Old 09-20-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But abstaining from the alcohol will prevent me from suffering the side effects the next day , nervousness/tension/stress/anxiety/etc.
No circumstances in my life have ever made me feel like this.

ITS GOT TO BE FROM WITHDRAWAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal last a few days...after that who knows...maybe you need additional help.

I understand you are tapering...wait until the taper is over,,,by then you can better judge.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
Alcohol withdrawal last a few days...after that who knows...maybe you need additional help.

I understand you are tapering...wait until the taper is over,,,by then you can better judge.
It can last a lot longer if you have the kind of personality that is jonesing for a drink all the time.I'm a lot stronger than that , thank you.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, BUT physical withdrawal is only a few days long...the mental obsession may be longer but you seem to be way stronger than that! I am not sure why you are worrying, you seem to be just fine.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

For myself, alcohol definitely contributed to my anxiety. Alcohol fuels anxiety if not fully creating it. I drank to alleviate my anxiety, but only made matters worse. Only time will tell whether or not abstaining form alcohol will take care of your problem. You haven't totally abstained so there is no real bases. Talk to your Dr. and they can treat your anxiety disorder if it doesn't go away. Good Luck!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Physical withdrawls take the following forms;

Nervousness
Shaky hands
Cold sweats
Hallucinations
Seizures

Psychological withdrawls take these forms;

Anxiety
Frustration
Guilt
Bewildermant
Despair
Old 09-20-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Positively Master Thief

Congrats, NYM. Good for you . I wish you the best of luck in your not-drinking and I hope your tapering went well. The physical withdrawals will most likely go away in a few days. Worry about that right now, one day at a time, and people & further help are always here and out there if you ever feel you need it.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is the standard advice too - you might consider talking to a Dr. in person and getting your health checked out while your body is detoxing.

Don't drink, keep posting and I hope all is going well.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, please do be safe while detoxing. Withdrawals can be dangerous, besides just really annoying. So please be safe. At the very least, do you have a trusted friend who could check in on you for the first few days? At least someone who knows what you're going thru. Just don't want to see anything bad happen to you.

As far as abstaining not taking care of the whole ball of wax. I was self medicating with alcohol for my depression and anxiety, so when I stopped drinking I still had those issues to deal with. I'm seeing a counselor twice a month (besides my substance abuse counselor weekly) and find it very helpful for good emotional health. The spiritual side of things I don't really address, except in feeling outgoing enough to attend my church again. I enjoy the fellowship and the Higher Power/God part of it. And now that I'm not isolating myself deliberately I really enjoy socializing with my friends from church.

So staying sober in itself is a big positive change, but there may be underlying issues behind the nightly beer ritual, like using it to help you sleep. Give some consideration to counseling, or some other form of good mental health, to deal with the issues that may have encouraged the drinking. I'm just trying to say, please be kind to yourself and gentle with yourself. I consider that not only am I staying sober, but I am happier than I've been for quite some time.

You can do this! And don't hesitate to ask questions. If none of us knows the answer we might be able to point you in the right direction.

:ghug3
Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Yes, please do be safe while detoxing. Withdrawals can be dangerous, besides just really annoying. So please be safe. At the very least, do you have a trusted friend who could check in on you for the first few days? At least someone who knows what you're going thru. Just don't want to see anything bad happen to you.

As far as abstaining not taking care of the whole ball of wax. I was self medicating with alcohol for my depression and anxiety, so when I stopped drinking I still had those issues to deal with. I'm seeing a counselor twice a month (besides my substance abuse counselor weekly) and find it very helpful for good emotional health. The spiritual side of things I don't really address, except in feeling outgoing enough to attend my church again. I enjoy the fellowship and the Higher Power/God part of it. And now that I'm not isolating myself deliberately I really enjoy socializing with my friends from church.

So staying sober in itself is a big positive change, but there may be underlying issues behind the nightly beer ritual, like using it to help you sleep. Give some consideration to counseling, or some other form of good mental health, to deal with the issues that may have encouraged the drinking. I'm just trying to say, please be kind to yourself and gentle with yourself. I consider that not only am I staying sober, but I am happier than I've been for quite some time.

You can do this! And don't hesitate to ask questions. If none of us knows the answer we might be able to point you in the right direction.

:ghug3
Least , what leads you to think I live alone ?
Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I isolated even though my son in his 20s lived with me. It's about letting people into your heart and head...not about how many people are around you.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober member

self-medicater here for anxiety/panic disorder.I stopped drinking and after 3 weeks my anxiety levels were way down,for me alcohol and weed just make it 10x's worse.I had a slip yesterday and a return of anxiety today!

keep at it and you will be much happier,trust me on this one.

im back and not looking back again

goodluck,its really worth it.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Homer38 View Post
self-medicater here for anxiety/panic disorder.I stopped drinking and after 3 weeks my anxiety levels were way down,for me alcohol and weed just make it 10x's worse.I had a slip yesterday and a return of anxiety today!

keep at it and you will be much happier,trust me on this one.

im back and not looking back again

goodluck,its really worth it.
How bad were your panic attacks ? Describe one for me please.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober member

my panic attacks at thier worst would keep me from entering any large store and even highway driving.I started zoloft,small 50 mg. dose,and Klonopin(a minor tranq) about 5 years ago.Im now dependant on the klonopin but am slowly weaning off.Ill continue with the zoloft because that seems to keep the panic and anxiety at a controllable level.Im able to function,and w/o the alcohol the panic and anxiety are hardly even there.

My symptoms of a panic attack are just a feeling of needed to escape,get a feeling like i am losing my mind and heart and mind race,its the fight or flight response.Havent had one in a few years,maybe lil ones but i can control that with deep breathing and self talk on how the situation is ok and im just in a panic.

again,alcohol makes it so much worse!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah , I get the racing heart bit and other symptoms.I'm not on any meds.I just have to suck it up.
I read at one website how a racing heart is good exercise for your heart.I'm a little dubious about that.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sorry for my assumption. I live alone and often forget that not everyone lives alone. Sorry. Still hope you are safe while detoxing.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

NYM-
I began having pretty bad panic attacks in 1999. I have been on many different medications over these years for anxiety. I continued to drink also, and while the attack intensity decreased, their frequency increased. I chnaged medicines so often because I thought they weren't working, whereas I never really gave them a chance as I was drinking on top of them. I have had some sober periods over the years, my longest about 18 months a couple years ago. While on my meds as directed, things weren't so bad. Since I've been drinking, the anxiety has come back, pretty rough at times. This is my day one today, it's been a little rough, but not too bad.
I wish you all the best. Keep letting us know how you're doing.

BHJ