Notices

I relapsed yesterday after 5 months...

Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I relapsed yesterday after 5 months...

I called my sponsor and she was helpful and supportive. I'm going to a women's meeting tomorrow morning.

However, I just told my DH (who is 10 years sober) and now he isn't talking to me. That sucks. I mean, at least I was honest, right? I drank Thursday night and called my sponsor today. Of course I'm dissapointed in myself.

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Take it easy.

You also may find it helpful to ring someone before you drink, if you find yourself in the same postion again.

And while it is good to call at all, phoning after the fact is a bit like trying to deploy a parachute when you've already hit the ground.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You have a positive plan in place....

Hope your husband settles down quickly.
...Cook his favorite meal and see if that helps.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you had a little blip.
its not gonna turn into another day or more of drinking
it was just one.
bad choice maybe but its not all about setting records
dont harp on being back at day 1,
be happy you your little blip wasnt a total RELAPSE
Old 09-20-2008, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Learn from your mistakes and go on from there. You can't change the past but the future is up to you.

:ghug3
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

5 months is awesome!

I relapsed at 6 months and it has dragged on for the last 9 months, don't do that! Nip it in the bud now!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All I can say is redouble your efforts. I picked up a drink at one and a half years which led to a 3 day bender. The next time I picked up a drink was 7 years later and that drink took me for four and a half to almost five years before I would be separated from alcohol for the last time. I am convinced that I picked up the first drink for one reason and one reason only.... I was not spiritually fit. I was not doing all that was asked or suggested of me. I thought I knew what "At Certain Times" was going to look like and I had no defense.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

BTW, I had a sponsee call me the other day. He's a little over 2 months sober, and he said, "I had a real desire to drink this morning. I found out I didn't have any work today and my mind started saying that today would be a good day to drink beer". I said, " Okay, so what did you do?" " Well, I started to call you, and then decided to go to the 7:30am meeting" I said, " Excellent, now the other thing you could do is pray that the obsession is lifted" " Oh, I did that too!!!! BP44, I hit my knees and I asked God to get me through" I said, " Well you're calling me now and you sound sober, this stuff must work, huh?" He said, " You bet it does, I'll see you at the meeting tonight" This my friends is the program, fellowship, and service in action. One man learning the tools from another and putting them to work.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like others have said. Review what happened and learn from it. The chapter "More about alcoholism" is a good read. Some of it deals with relapse.

Praying for you
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sucks about your husband but remember to focus on your recovery. Your actions will speak a ton and if you hit the program with a vengeance hopefully your husband will take notice. And don't beat yourself up. If you are an alcoholic like me it is in our nature to drink, we are essentially fighting off what comes natural to us which can be tough.

I can also understand how your husband feels. I am getting over a recent relapse and I used to not realize how betrayed my loved ones felt when I relapse. Now I do. They put faith in my success and it hurts them personally to see me fail.

My problem was I let go of the program and fell on my butt. If I had stuck with the fellowship, worked the steps, made calls and went to meetings, I would not have picked up that first drink. Now that my head is clear again, I met with my sponsor, I am going to meetings, I am working the program and I am not drinking.

You called right away and it sounds like you are going to a ton of meetings. You have the tools, you know how to use them and I have a good feeling that this can be your last relapse!

:praying
Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome back. Glad you made it. Don't beat yourself up over it just do something about it. Sounds like you have and are making a great start for tomorrow. But for today, just don't drink now. I hope your husband will get over it and remember what alcoholism is and what he was like 10yrs ago. Best of luck and have a great day!.. LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I went to a meeting this morning, raised my hand and said I had one day. Two AA friends showed up to support me because I called them last night. I got lots of support

I'm learning from this. My drinking didn't numb the pain the other night, it just made me feel guilty. I'm meeting with my sponsor today. She had me write some things down last night and we'll discuss them.

So far we've discovered that I need to get over my fear of asking for help. I was raised to keep my feelings to myself. Over the past 5 months I've gotten better at it but I need to really work on that. I also have a fear of reaching out to other women. But after my meeting this morning, many women put their numbers in my cell phone and want to keep in touch everyday. They said that they haven't been reaching out enough either and want to get closer to other women in the program.

I have a lot of work to do but I feel hopeful. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober member

hate to say it but........
i let my guard down yesterday on a camping trip and drank beer!

I know the guilty feeling you speak of all so well.

back to the meetings for me,missed way too many meetings in last 2 weeks,thats how my slip happened!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good post, Homer.

My questions to Aanastasia are,

"What will you do different this time?"

"What did you learn about what led you to your relapse?"
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnastasiaB View Post
I called my sponsor and she was helpful and supportive. I'm going to a women's meeting tomorrow morning.

However, I just told my DH (who is 10 years sober) and now he isn't talking to me. That sucks. I mean, at least I was honest, right? I drank Thursday night and called my sponsor today. Of course I'm dissapointed in myself.

Thanks for listening.
I think your husband needs to be more understanding.