Notices

The little voice in my head..

Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The little voice in my head..

I havn't had a drink for 15 days. There is a liitle voice in my head saying it's ok for the weekend. As long as I don't have any during the week, it'll be ok. For some reason this second week has been harder than the first. I have been telling my self that if I really want one I can have it tomorrow, but not today. I have been doing this for a few days now. Sheesh..when will the voice just quietly wisper & not shout through a bull horn?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I have the voice too. It's always making those very same suggestions. Just Fridays. Just social occasions. Somedays it is much chattier than others. Tonight it has been a bellow!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't listen to that voice ! If you relapse you'll feel horrible.

Somewhat like Coyote Ugly ! ROTFLOL !
Old 09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

It will start to fade the longer you go without. It's almost like you are training your brain to think those thoughts. I had a friend who wore a rubber band around his wrist and when he thought those thoughts he would pop the rubber band. Worth a try
Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the voice speaks more loudly when it fears that it is losing you, and that you are winning. The voice is desperate to maintain control of you. Hang in there, and you will be able to get through this.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I know that little voice. It is my addiction. It lives inside my head. It speaks to me in my own voice. It always lies.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I would say it looks like you have been thinking way too much
Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Who the heck are Ya'll kidding? God Almighty doesn't speak as loud as that damned "little voice"! Lookit, that voice is a soft spoken predator which is like a cheating lover who got caught and makes excuses.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have voices like that sometime. All it is.........is my addiction talking to me, trying to convince me that "the next time will be different"

I know for me, that that next time will always be same. Shame, Guilt, remorse, and maybe the one thing that might be different. I might end up dead this time.

Ignore the lies its telling you.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lift the phone, not the drink! Get to a meeting, share how you feel.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's odd... I wish mine tried to lure me into drinking. Mine is a harsh SOB. It tells me I might as well because I'm worthless and it's all I'm good for.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I might suggest going to an AA meeting. You can talk about the voice or just listen but at least you don't have to drink. You may also meet others in recovery that you would feel comfortable talking to. If you are anything like me, that first drink will not be the last either.

One last thought, you stopped drinking for a reason so remember this, there is always a lower bottom.

One step and one day at a time, you can do it!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

It's been my expereince that if you recongise it for what it is, as everyone else has said, it's your addiction, it will visit you less and less often.

I have been sober for 10 years now and have the little voice talk to me about other things and what I have found most helpful is, when it starts I recognise it for what it is then I go and do something, I don't sit around and try to argue with it. It always wins!

:atv
Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't Do It!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayer and my AA program help me immensley.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

there is also a voice there for the good of us if we seek it
it is sometimes muffled out in the busy thoughts flying around in our minds
sometimes it does me good to just do something physical and it takes my mind off it-quit thinking so much and just do!
like Liz said,I do have the thought of a drink occasionally,but it is just a thought not to be fed
the more you feed it the stronger it becomes
it is not a obsession like it was before
Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
That's odd... I wish mine tried to lure me into drinking. Mine is a harsh SOB. It tells me I might as well because I'm worthless and it's all I'm good for.
man oh man
I have been there before a lot of times
over time it has gotten better and today I am a long way from it.Keep hanging in there...don`t listen to it
you are worth a lot more than that!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Voice 1..Helpus 0. Caved. Bought a pint of rum. Didn't get into it untill 10:00. I had company, but once they left I had a few. I told myself that I could buy a pint & it woild be ok b/c it would only last the weekend. I didn't go to a meeting cuz I had friends over. Lame I know. Actually only my husband (who tihnks I don't have a true problem, & my RAD who says I need a meeting) know about my struggle. It is new to me. Has only been for awhile. I honestly think I am in the early stages of alcoholism. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for mt RAD & such.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too hear that shrill small voice screaming in my ear that I can't do anything right and that drinking would make me feel better. With the passing of each sober day the voice gets a little weaker. I've got my rebuttal argument down pat and can't be fooled by that lying voice anymore.

It does get easier with time, but is never completely gone. Try changing your routine when the voice tries to mess you up. Keep busy til the voice gets tired of being ignored and goes away for a while.

Next time you hear that voice, come here and post about it instead of giving in to it. We'll do anything we can to talk you out of it.

:ghug3
Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You fell, pick yourself back up and try not to drink from this point forward.

:praying