Notices

Newbie saying hi!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie saying hi!

Just joined up and wanted to say hi! Gonna try sobriety again. My family wants me to get on ant-depressants. I think it's the the 60 plus beers a week, the lack of quality sleep and the missing of functions/work due to severe hangovers. I been through in-patient and out patient before due to legal problems. Tried AA quite a few times but they were always required (due to the legal problems). Drinking myself to death is starting to sound selfish and unfair to those who care about me. I just broke up with my girl. She is about a case per week drinker. I would consider that to be me 5 years ago or so. I know she won't quit because "she doesn't have a problem". Her dad was a serious alcoholic and is sober now. It would be too hard to be around her from past sober attempts. Nothing worse than an educated sobrietist. Admitting I have a problem was the easiest step. Anyway wish me luck! Great site! Day 2
Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nth,

Good for you 2 days is a great start, and it seems like you have the right attitude. Keep it up and before ya know it, it will be 2 weeks, then 2 months etc.

And welcome to the site.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! GLad you are here!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to the SR Family!

I'm glad to see you recognize you have a problem and also the fact that being in a relationship with another drinker isn't good for you or your Recovery.

Happy to hear that you have a supportive family. Try giving AA another whirl. I saw it in a different perspective when I didnt feel like I was forced to go. I thoroughly belief that the Program of AA, the Steps and the Fellowship are a key part of my 3 plus years of living Happy, Joyous & Free!

Remember . . . One Day at A Time,
Judy

Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and our alcoholism forum!:bounce
Old 09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

youre off to a good start.you sounds like youre out of denial and maybe you realize meetings with willingness is a whole lot better.i was forced 2 yrs ago(legal issues) but now im getting more out of them because powerless i really was in all aspects of my life because of the disease ..im still growing..i guess its my due season.i hope you find yours do it for you dont worry about whether she does or not..eventualy she will realize how the disease really sucks but its got to be in her own season. keep us posted..
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very loving and supportive site!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I made it past thirsty Thursdays and I'm in a great mood tonight to get past f'ed up Fridays. I'm even considering going to an AA meeting. I just hate to talk and be put under the spotlight. I have been able to go cold turkey b4 and have not had any serious withdraws. Plenty of vitamins and sweets for the cravings.

Ok I will go to a meeting b4 you guys start in on me.