Notices

Again

Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

TB I don't know if you are in ABQ or not, but these yellow pages listings for Temp Agencies might just help.

Between Temp Agencies and networking in AA meetings I got some fabulous jobs.

Yellow Pages & Online Phone Book | DexKnows.com

Honest, and by working the Temp Agencies, and yes I would be registered with more than one, call each one each morning starting at 8:30 am and again starting at 4:00 pm every day, before too long they would give me stuff just to stop bugging them, then when they would start to get the reports back from the employers would give me better and better jobs until I usually got hired.

Also, working the Temp Agencies while looking for something full time does bring in money to keep the roof over ones head.

I believe there is a pretty good listing for Santa Fe also, and even the smaller cities like here in Las cruces have several Temp Agencies.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tex, you seemed to be apologizing for letting off steam. You must NEVER be afraid of venting your feelings. That's why we are here, ya know, to listen to you when you're feeling low and offer help and friendship.

Who the hell are these women you're dating who don't like 'artists'?? Huh! Well don't waste any more valuable time on them. As far as finding a different job... well, yes, the economy does suck, big time, so try to be patient until you find what you want.

PS, from the way I was raised, by an English-professor-violin-playing-classical-music-buff dad, and other music and art lovers in the family ... I'd think it was way cool to be dating an opera singer! Keep looking, the woman who will treat you well and like you for yourself is still out there somewhere. Don't give up hope!

:ghug3 Glad you're still sober despite the frustrations.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Laurie: Yes I am in ABQ. I've tried the temp agencies, but I have no real skills according to them. I have to go back to school for basic stuff like Windows and MS Office. I have no "real" knowledge according to employers.

I could sing you something. I can't Excel you something.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Least: Thank you.

The artist thing and women I've been dating: My experience is when it gets to the "serious" point, women need stability. I can't really offer that. I don't have a 9-5 job. I'm a working actor. That does not instill confidence in anyone. I have to work out all day and and I have to save any extra money. I have to be a certain weight, I have to be a certain height. Basically, my job is my relationship, that's why I want to change. I just feel like I can only offer the "excitement" part of an early relationship, but nothing deeper and for real. Women do not like "gone for three weeks." Even if they could join me, "Gone for three weeks" is my life.

BTW, I will be gone for three weeks in early October. I will try to check in.

I guess I feel that if I had something steady, I would be in a position of stability and then someone might have a child with me. Which is really all I want at this point in my life.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Nice to see you, hope you feel better soon.
Cathy31
x
Old 09-26-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Here we are again: do I accept yet another Figaro in Le Nozze di Figaro, do I accept another Leporello in Don Giovanni or do I do King "whomever" in Amahl?

At least Amahl is local, but the other pay too much better. I do not want to brag but we're talking tens of thousands for two or three weeks work.

All I want to do is stay home and get better. I'm okay in my savings (as far as an artist) so I'm leaning to Amahl. Yes, I do not have to drink without any of them, but how do you bond with a cast without the bar? Every night after rehearsal "Hey! Let's go to the bar." I guess I could go and drink water, but what a damn trigger.

"Where's Tex?" Spreads like wildfire, then I have to go out. People keep buying me drinks, I keep passing them off which gets people offended, which means I get less jobs. BTW, "I'm a recovering alcoholic" is met by nothing but laughs. I had librium shoved down my throat and was stilll pushed onstage.

BUT! I have to tell you, the Figaro will be more than I've made all year. I know, I know, poor me. This is coming from the heart though. So, my question is (and it's serious) how much is our sobriety worth to us?

I'm changing jobs first of the year.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find success in a different line of work. Do whatever it takes, wherever you are, and you'll keep your sobriety.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good news that you are changeing jobs soon.
I know you have been trying hard to do that.

Ok..if you put any job ahead of your sobriety
it's not going to work out well for you.
JMO
Look at the bigger picture
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

I spent alot of my days in the music industry as well. I do have business skills.
I took up substitute teaching for something else to do. I get a kick out of teaching music classes to the younger kids.

Did you go to school for opera and if so, you should have a degree to get a job.
The economy is so bad right now.
If you can read and write music you could teach it. A teaching degree isn't that difficult.
Keep trying, don't give up. It will happen.
I'm very tired but I wanted to give you support. Best wishes.