Notices

Surprised

Old 09-14-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surprised

Had a few hours tonight when I really wanted a drink. I thought it has been pretty smooth sailing so far. I'm on day 11 w/o alcohol. I am just surprised at how strong the urge was. Kinda snuck up on me. Going to head to bed & read my blue book. This sucks.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....it takes awhile for your brain to rebuild

Check out this link please

Alcohol and Brain

Good to know you did not drink again
Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Those feelings will come and go--sometimes stronger than other times. Just don't pick up--no matter what..."This too shall pass". Glad to hear you are going to read instead of drink. Keep moving forward in recovery. :atv:
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

The cravings/obsession will eventually ease and go away. Although I have had the thought of a drink cross my mind in the past few years, that is all it was a fleeting thought. The obsession is no longer there.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It does get better. Very early in my sober journey I had a lot of cravings and talked myself out of them, but as I rack up my sober days I'm finding the cravings are fewer and not as strong as they once were. Hang in there and just don't pick up that first drink!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the beginning, my brain would literally be thinking about alcohol every moment of the day. Then I'd have a few days where it seemed easier...and then WHAM!...it would hit sooo strong that I almost couldn't bear it. Now, the idea of drinking alcohol has no appeal to me, it literally makes me queasy. But it wasn't like that at the beginning.

Here's the thing, though, as you build up your days, don't get complacent...that's when it's easy to slip. "Slip" sounds so innocous, doesn't it? I "slipped" for one week and was a crying, blubbering mess who couldn't stop the room from spinning, who sat in my pjs on my front steps outside my house for all the world to see, who felt like crap the next day. It soooo wasn't worth it.

I hope you made it without drinking! You did the right thing by posting!