Notices

9/11, let us remember where we were.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I live in Frederickburg which was home to a number of the Pentagon loses, we have a lady there that survived bu suffered some horrific maiming burns.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was having breakfast ...watching TV

As I am a former private piolet
I sat there in utter disbeleif
watching the airliner crash head on into the tower.

"The NY air control system is giving wrong information
OMG... planes are going to go down everywhere"
was my first thought.

It never occurred to me they could be and were
being used as a terrorist weapon...

I have continued to use commercial airlines
and Yes! I grumble at the security slow lines
but.....then I remember why they are there.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was still in my active addiction (Meth) and had just arrived at work (I cleaned houses at the time). The people at the home were watching it on TV. The first Tower had just been hit. I really didnt have much to say. Kinda in shock I guess.

You know Meth (and I am sure other stuff) takes away all your ability to feel anything. I had no emotions at all.

then for the next few weeks as all of the searching and rescueing took place. I watch it as long as I could. It then began to sink in.

I was so saddened for all the people who were looking for loved ones.

I cried for days while watching. My (ex) husband kept telling me............."you need to stop watching that on TV. I cant be healthy for you".

Healthy???? Is he kidding???

I hadnt felt feeling for anything in years (due to the drugs and alcohol). I continue to get high for many years after that.

But, I wont ever forget the feeling of total despair I felt for all those that lost someone.

Brings back memories.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I woke up to the radio alarm clock and my first thought was that they were doing a parody of "the war of the worlds" skit. It took me a while to realize it was real.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Paulos, good to see you again and congrats on your upcoming 3 months sober! Thanks for posting this reminder of that tragic day.

I was at home getting ready for work and getting my kids ready for day care. My now ex was upstairs. I remember turning on the news just after the first plane hit the towers, and then watching as the second one flew in. I was just in shock and couldn't believe it was happening. As the day unfolded and then the weeks passed it was incredible to watch the loss of lives.

My addiction was really winding up at that time. I'm ashamed to admit that I probably used that day as an excuse to drink too.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Day One's Can RIP!!!

When 9-11 ocurred, it was a strange time of my life. I was at work when the planes hit and our chef came running out of the kitchen to say that the Trade Tower had been hit . . . I remember we were speculating about whether the report was real or a horrible rumor. By the time the second plane hit, we knew something horrible had happened.

At that time I was exactly six months sober. I didn't own a television set. I spent about an hour at my mom's watching replays of the tragedy and I was so disturbed that from that day on, I never watched another news report about it. I turned off the radio . . . . I just couldn't deal with it.

But 10 days later, I got on a plane and flew from PA to NV to visit my elderly uncle. I was terrified to go but the trip had been planned for months and I was afraid that if I didn't go then, that I may never get a chance to see him alive.

I feel rather badly about my reaction to that day but it was what I had to do to protect my sobriety and my sanity. There were about 15 people from my community who lost their lives and the pilot of flight 175 (one of the the 2 planes that crashed into the WTC), lived about 3 miles from me.

A year later, we were on vacation & I watched some of the anniversary tributes. I was going through a terrible stage of depression at that time of my sobriety and while I never wanted to drink about it, my husband & I did have to go home a day early from our vacation.

I feel like I missed a very critical and tragic time in our nation's history.