Notices

Could you give up if people Gave you bottles?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could you give up if people Gave you bottles?

Man it is so frustrating! I haven't worked for a few months after heavy drinking, I'm presently living with my dad and he's currently taken up work.

Now I have told him every day for a few weeks don't get me any alcohol, but he gets it every day. I seriously want to cry - he knows I have a problem I think, and I try to make him realize by 7 in the evening I am over the worst - but it's no good. I tell him I'm getting mini seizures...no good. I've seriously asked my sister if I could move in with her but she said no, I don't really blame her, she has her hands full with her kids. It's just incredibly hard - I don#t think my dad cares. He says stuff like 4 cans of beer arent too bad, even though I always drink more.

I don#t know where I could go go with no funds, when you spend most of the day trying not to drink.....
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober member

I have a neighbor whos constantly trying to wreck my sobriety,little does he know Im done with drinking and hes just making a fool of himself!
In my case he knows he will have to think about his own drinking problem,if your dad is a drinker this may be how he's feeling too.

Just dont drink,do it for yourself,nobody else.Just say no thanks and tyry aa or something if ya cant do it on your own.Its worth it!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sympathise Bradster. I used to be surrounded by people who needed me to drink, for whatever reason.

I just got to the point where I realised poisoning myself and making myself unhappy just to keep someone else happy didn't make a lot of sense.

I hope you find somewhere else to live very soon, and the strength to say 'no thanks' til then

D
Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
Man it is so frustrating! I haven't worked for a few months after heavy drinking, I'm presently living with my dad and he's currently taken up work.

Now I have told him every day for a few weeks don't get me any alcohol, but he gets it every day. I seriously want to cry - he knows I have a problem I think, and I try to make him realize by 7 in the evening I am over the worst - but it's no good. I tell him I'm getting mini seizures...no good. I've seriously asked my sister if I could move in with her but she said no, I don't really blame her, she has her hands full with her kids. It's just incredibly hard - I don#t think my dad cares. He says stuff like 4 cans of beer arent too bad, even though I always drink more.

I don#t know where I could go go with no funds, when you spend most of the day trying not to drink.....

Willing to go to any length..... Most of us are surrounded by alcohol, to some extent. And expecting sympathy or understanding from drinkers, some of whom may be alcoholic themselves, is pointless. If you want to remain sober, you'll figure out what you need to do. Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Try the Salvation Army, I believe they provide treatment for those who can not afford it.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober member

when you do put the efoort into NOT drinking,you will find many open doors! Not too many people want to have a drunk living in thier home unless they are habitual drinkers too.just another thought.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober member

Originally Posted by Homer38 View Post
when you do put the efoort into NOT drinking,you will find many open doors! Not too many people want to have a drunk living in thier home unless they are habitual drinkers too.just another thought.
oops,meant effort lol
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bradster - What a difficult situation. I am glad I live alone and can completely avoid it. I'd try to turn the table around on him and make him uncomfortable with drinking instead of reversed. Sip lemondae and whistle or say, Gee I'm glad I'm not losing brain cells anymore. Be obnoxiously happy (fake it). It sounds like he is being vindictive and I'd fight fire with fire on this one. That's just me though.............
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober member

i really like that post above by bostonluv
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bostonluv View Post
Bradster - What a difficult situation. I am glad I live alone and can completely avoid it. I'd try to turn the table around on him and make him uncomfortable with drinking instead of reversed. Sip lemondae and whistle or say, Gee I'm glad I'm not losing brain cells anymore. Be obnoxiously happy (fake it). It sounds like he is being vindictive and I'd fight fire with fire on this one. That's just me though.............
Ha good Idea, thing is by that sort of time I will drink ANYTHING. My Dad says I'm moody and not nice if he doesn't get me a drink...serious f"""" denial or really selfish. Of course I'm not gonna be sociable, I get weird head jerks all night too that wake me up every hour AGGRRR, that are horribly close to serious damage....
Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I live in a house with two other people...one drinks everyday out of sight for a couple of hours...the other one drinks about 3 times a week at night (limit around 3-4 a night, half the time less than that). There is always alcohol in the house. At any moment I could get plastered if I wanted.

The one who drinks a few times a week used to offer me drinks. This person "knows" (not really, still somewhat in denial) my problem, but wouldn't mind if I drank the alcohol.

The people I'm with truly do love me...I think it hurts too much to know the truth about someone they love...so they pretend nothing is wrong. I don't know you or your father...so I can't say why he buys you alcohol. I'm sorry you're going through this. I would like to move out and live on my own again...I don't have the money yet. Hang in there, Bradster.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK....where to start.....hmmmmm

I guess a good place to start would be with your original question.....: Could I give up if people gave me bottles?.....If I were REALLY serious about getting sober, then that wouldn't matter, so the answer to your question would be.....: ABSOLUTELY, YES....After all, remember, it's your sobriety/recovery; your responsibility; NOT your father's.

....And speaking of your father, there were a couple of things you wrote concerning your father (and your living arrangement) that I wanted to address here, or at least take a closer look at.....:

"... I try to make him realize by 7 in the evening I am over the worst - but it's no good. I tell him I'm getting mini seizures...My Dad says I'm moody and not nice if he doesn't get me a drink...I get weird head jerks all night too that wake me up every..."

Since medical advice cannot be requested or given on this site; I'm not a doctor; I don't even play one on TV.....so, the only thing I can say here is that none of this sounds good; I would strongly suggest getting some medical advice....go to a doctor or to hospital or ER.

I've gone through all your previous posts and I see that seeing a doctor and/or going to hospital or ER have already been suggested, but you seem to have an aversion to this, and think that doctors just want to warehouse patients. You also don't seem to trust hospitals or ER's wither.....I don't know quite what to say.....

I do have a suggestion, but before I state it, I think I will preface a couple of things you previously posted regarding what your mother seems to think (being as she's in the mental health field; an occupational therapist...?)....:

1) "...neither of my parents really believe me when I say it's quite dangerous coming off alcohol. It's particularly upsetting when my mother works in mental health, the first thing she said when I admitted I had a problem and how much I drank was that it wasn't a problem and I shouldn't waste the doctors time..."

2) "...I phoned my mother who is a occupational therapist. I told here how much I've been drinking - a bottle of vodka a night. She said if I went to ER or the doctors or whatever they'd do nothing for me. She said they don't really care about alcoholics...."

All that being said, my suggestion would be.....GET OUT of your father's house.....and go live with your mother.....HAH

Seriously though, it's been suggested before, and I second, or third, or fourth it.....check out the Salvation Army; they have a good program (complete with supervised detox), and it's FREE...!

NoelleR
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I like what Noell said, it may be worth a second read on your part.

When I finally hit the point where I was REALLY ready to stop drinking, I was willing to do what ever it took to get and stay sober! In an odd way by the time I decided I had to quit I had no friends left and my family was on its way out the door due to my drinking so I had no one to push booze at me.

I knew I had to stop, friends or no friends, family or no family!!! Booze shoved at me or not, I really was ready to stop the insanity and I was willing to do what ever it took to stop and stay stopped.

Keep in mind that the last stop for an alcoholic with enough excuses to never stop drinking is 6 foot under.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The way I feel now, with 60 days sober, I don't care if someone gave me ownership of a liquor store - I still wouldn't use it as an excuse to drink. I could have wine bottles stacked up in my house but wouldn't drink them cause I know where I'd end up: I'd be back at that Horrible Place, and I do not want to go back there.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Bradster! You are really in a tough position. Obviously, you're family can't help you, and obviously, you need help. So get the help somewhere else. I never knew the Salvation Army did treatment. That's fantastic, you should look into it! There are other programs, too, that offer a place to go, start your recovery, live and begin to learn to support yourself. You'll have to get out your phone book and/or look about online and get in touch with them.
Try not to be too mad at your parents. It sounds like they just totally don't understand and maybe have problems of their own that keep them from being good support for you. Good for you coming here and seeking a way out. We're pulling for you!
p.s. If I was living with my dad these past couple of weeks (I've got nineteen days today) and he was buying me booze and telling me not to worry about it, NO WAY could I have stayed sober. Don't kick yourself. But find some help.