Notices

MADD - Have you attended their program?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You will be paying a debt to society in the form of added protection. Did you read the part about adding a hundred and forty four million bucks to enforcement? Making Lawyers, Insurance Companies and Alcohol Counselors rich doesn't benefit Society in any way.
For the record I haven't had a DUI in 20 years so this is not about a bitter resentment. It's about taking something that is not working in it's current state and making it work. At least trying.
All throughout recovery we've been told the defenition of "Insanity"
I think the same can be said about DUI enforcement in this case.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why I did not drive drunk....
I lived in a city with no car.

Because I was too busy drinking
I never considered renting one for weekend outings.

Why bother? Taxi!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
TruthJustice

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Why I did not drive drunk....
I lived in a city with no car.

Because I was too busy drinking
I never considered renting one for weekend outings.

Why bother? Taxi!
Carol,
Much is said with little words...you're right.

Good night.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I hear you too Taz. BUT, there may be that ONE person at the Victim impact panel or high school that will hear the message and think twice next time before they drink and drive. I sure hope so.
TTOSBT & VeritasAequitas please read my whole post, I feel it is an excellent idea, even if it only saved one life.

I am all for educating our youth far more then what they are on both drunk driving and alcoholism. Today in my area the schools focus strongly on drugs and hardly touch alcoholism at all.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The video did stick with my son, I'm fairly confident that he will not drive drunk, hopefully he and my other children wont even drink.

I also think that if these inpact video's on the consequences of driving drunk were shown to High School freshman and sophmores, it would be worthwhile. Even if only one life is saved, it would be worth it.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I don't how many states use them, but WA makes everyone who gets a DUI have an ignition interlock installed on their car. Keeps the honest people honest.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Taz, did you ever think that the USA has more people in jail for drug related offenses then any other country in the world. Many prisons are owned by private corporations that are making massive amounts of money by warehousing people (40,000 or more a year per person). American Drug Wars is a good movie that shows how badly the drug wars are failing and how profitable they are for the corporations that exploit the problem. We as a country throw more money at alcohol and drug problems yet we solve nothing. Clearly something is just not working. If education were enough then there would be no drug and alcohol problems. Everyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows how harmful alcohol can be , the education is not lacking, the information is everywhere yet people do it anyhow. Throwing more and more money at the problem will not solve anything.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

My 17 year old son and I talk every day. He has walked through this recovery with me. He watches me and he asks questions and listens. I am as confident as I can be that he will never drink and drive. It is funny because he told me that he thinks watching me and his father (bio dad, we broke up when he was 1 and he is an active alcoholic) has ensured that he will do everything NOT to be an addict/alcoholic. We will see. But what i do know is that my son has watched my daily struggle with cleaning up my mess and paying the consequences for my actions.

He has now started asking me about Alateen so that he can better understand the disease.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I don't how many states use them, but WA makes everyone who gets a DUI have an ignition interlock installed on their car. Keeps the honest people honest.
I forgot to add those to my list. We have to have them here too. Add $100.00/month to the fund for at least a year.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am amazed that Universities do not really have fairly intense programs about drunk driveing and drinking in general.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I agree... they should spend all that money on PREVENTION!
What good is it to show you all those videos/pictures after the fact? I wish I had seen them BEFORE. I KNOW i would have never driven drunk if I had. It should be a REQUIREMENT to go through classes before you get your driver's license.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Cool

"... I KNOW i would have never driven drunk if..." -----

This is not to pick on the person who wrote this most recently; I've seen it written by many, and heard it said by many....however, aren't we forgetting one thing.....?

When a person is drunk, they don't realize/think they are drunk, therefore when they are driving in that condition they don't see themselves as driving drunk; they KNOW they would never drive drunk; therefore if they are driving, they obviously aren't drunk.......ahhhh such wunerful drunk circular logic(sic).....lol

NoelleR