Notices

Friday nights have become a trigger for me

Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday nights have become a trigger for me

Well i think Friday nights have always been a trigger actually, but it has hit home tonight.

Last Friday was the first Friday night for a few weeks that i didn't have my children so i was free to go out if i wished. I really felt as though i was missing out, knowing that old friends were out clubbing. I did not go out however and in turn had a really good weekend.

Tonight i have felt similar, except not as strong. I made some plans tonight to do other things and keep active for the evening. So i went to an AA meeting, shared how i felt about Fridays and got some good advice, realising that others have been through the same. Then afterwards went to my local scuba club, which meets on a Friday at the local reservoir clubhouse.

I had to keep away from the drinkers who are in the club, there are two distinct cliques within the club. The drinkers and the non drinkers. My heart is geared towards the drinkers, because ultimately that is what i am, i relate to them and know i could fit in quite well with them. However my head tells me to stay away, i have met some good people who i class as the non drinkers and now enjoy associating with other divers, some who don't drink at all and others that may just have one or two.

So overall tonight was a good night out. It's day 97, I go to bed sober, in the morning i pick my children up and tomorrow looks good.

Thanks for letting me share this.

Paul
Old 09-05-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep moving on Paul....make those positive decisions

Thanks for sharing a victory with us.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober member

day #97? thats a huge victory!
Im gonna avoid the alcohol situations for a while until Im 100% confident I can make the right decisions all night long.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Little Girl Lost

Day 97!? Congratulations!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Friday nights was my big drinking night too.For 20 yrs,every Friday night I was drunk
so,I make sure I am in a meeting on Friday nights now
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Weekends or anytime I was going to be alone for an extended period of time became a huge trigger for me. Even now I don't do well with them. Don't want to drink over them but just don't know what to do with myself all the time.

Meetings or spending time in the company of other sober alcoholics, going to the movies with my family, cooking, reading, watching stuff on TV at home, heck, even doing laundry all became part of my therapy as they allowed me to take on the role of productive member of society and kept me busy and sober until the trigger passed.

I hope this helps!
Kellye

Last edited by Kellye C; 09-05-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments guys. I always feel the same on a Friday, but now it's Saturday that feeling tends to go.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job Paul!! I had a night close to that. URGH!!! I'm glad it's over and I'm spending the day with my son relaxing and GETTING OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!! LOL!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job Paul. Just keep pushing ahead one moments at a time.

Shawn
Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep working those steps! The desire to drink was lifted out of me, I haven't had it for more than a second or two for a long time. I suspect it might work like that for you too, Friday night or no Friday night. The only thing that makes sense to me is that somehow, by working the steps it got taken away. Hell, I'm not even sure when it happened, let alone how. That is NOT the way it used to work in the bad old days.

Glad it was. How can you all of a sudden not want something you want? That's a TALL order, if you latch on to things, especially drinking, the way I do.

Glad you found something productive to do on Friday nights!