Notices

How much a day were you drinking.........

Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drank about a bottle and a half of wine.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dismember

I usually got vodka. Whatever I'd have, I'd drink in one sitting. At my worst I would have fifths (and occasionally finish them before passing out.) This year I usually bought smaller quantities, but would always, compulsively finish whatever it was. Therein was the problem of my drinking. I could be sober for days/weeks but if I was drinking there was no cutting me off.

To this day I'm still learning to moderate myself when it comes to juice or soda. I remember one morning seeing 10 empty soda cans around my desk from the night before and thinking "this is not good behavior."
Old 09-05-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For me, one was too many and a thousand never enough. The amount of booze consumed conversation tends to turn into something like a sporting event. I understand relating, but I also know that the Alcoholic is ego driven; if one Drunk drank a Fifth a day, the next Drunk would say he drank two Fifth's a day and so on.

Once you identify you are one of us, doesn't matter how much you drank, it matters if you are full of booze and ready find a greater power and to change everything in your life.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started out with a glass or two of wine in the afternoon/evening. Within six months I was drinking at least a bottle of wine a day and usually two, sometimes even three. I was drinking in the early morning to quell the shakes and drinking in the middle of the nite when I 'came to' and felt awful and could not get back to sleep.

I have to agree with what was said about the type of drink or amount not being that important, rather it was what I became when I drank. I didn't like my drinking self at all, and I've never been my own best friend, but my drinking made me really hate myself.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RufusACanal View Post
For me, one was too many and a thousand never enough. The amount of booze consumed conversation tends to turn into something like a sporting event. I understand relating, but I also know that the Alcoholic is ego driven; if one Drunk drank a Fifth a day, the next Drunk would say he drank two Fifth's a day and so on.

Once you identify you are one of us, doesn't matter how much you drank, it matters if you are full of booze and ready find a greater power and to change everything in your life.

The question was just out of curiosity....nothing of a pissing match.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

At an extreme a litre of spirits a day often mixed with painkillers or a relatives medication...Although I drank anything. There was no pretention to me. Just greed.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Fifth a day
Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I started out with a glass or two of wine in the afternoon/evening. Within six months I was drinking at least a bottle of wine a day and usually two, sometimes even three. I was drinking in the early morning to quell the shakes and drinking in the middle of the nite when I 'came to' and felt awful and could not get back to sleep.

I have to agree with what was said about the type of drink or amount not being that important, rather it was what I became when I drank. I didn't like my drinking self at all, and I've never been my own best friend, but my drinking made me really hate myself.

Again, I didn't say what type or how much alcohol was important. Just curious what everyone's poison was.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

One bottle of red wine at least, always with codeine (painkillers). If there had been two bottles of wine in the house, I would have drunk two bottles!! I never thought you could be an alcoholic if you just drank wine, but that was before I tried to stop!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Trying 101, No hard feelings, you posted comments and I posted a response; isn't Freedom of Speech wonderful?

If I can help, give me a hollar.

R
Old 09-05-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Little Girl Lost

I drink beer (7% alcohol kind) and I can go through 6 - 8 cans of it a day. The cans are 710 ml. each (24 ounces).
Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

didnt we discuss this last week and say its not about intake and amount but how alcohol has negative impact on someones life?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Little Girl Lost

I wasn't here last week. I was just answering the question at hand.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trying101 View Post
Again, I didn't say what type or how much alcohol was important. Just curious what everyone's poison was.

Anything except gin....or champagne!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't know how much...

I honestly ended up buying larger and larger bottles of Vodka so that I couldn't KNOW how much I was drinking.

Yeah. That last time put me in the ER last Sunday with a .45 at noon. I should be dead.

Sober since..

Before this scare, I know I was an alcoholic when I was drinking just a few drinks a night... it was the reason I was drinking that made me an alcoholic, not amount, not situation. We all have our reasons... I have more FUN that way... I'm more SOCIAL when I'm buzzed.. it CALMS me down. And then my body became addicted to the alcohol.

Funny thing.. this whole time I thought I was medicating my anxiety, when really, I was causing it. I've been calm and my insomnia disappeared the day after I was released from ICU.

Be careful everyone, I shouldn't have lived. I'm glad I did.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My b/f drank about a case a day and didn't consider himself an alcoholic, but I believe that he was one. I drank only a glass or 2 a day of rum and coke, with painkillers, much less than him, but I do think that I have addiction (which includes alcoholism in my program, NA). He tried to convince me that because my amounts of booze and pills (I took the prescribed amount) were OK as far as some literature is concerned, that I was not an addict or alcoholic. And he did convince me for a while. Until I tried to stop. For me that was the acid test. If you can't stop when you want to, then you have a problem, at least that's one way to tell, IMO.
KJ
Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I drank 3 to 4 bottles of wine a day. Or...what ever I could get my hands on. Beer was so filling and I couldn't handle much of that. The worst part was the planning. I always had to have a stash for the next day. I usually would break into the stash and would only have a tiny bit in the bottom the next day. I tried to have a little something to get me to the store to buy more or else the withdrawals and anxiety would hit and I would be in trouble. I can't believe I ingested that poison. I don't miss all of that havoc, not one bit. Life is so much simpler without all of the rigmarole.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Enough to need to be here but not quite enough to be dead! (yet)
Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Concentration on how much or how often my ego uses to separate me from you. Some of us drank at home, some in bars, some of us wrecked cars, went to jail or prison. Some of us lost jobs, homes and relationships. None of this mind you has anything to do with what makes me an alcoholic. The first 43 pages of the Big Book are designed to ask one question.....when you take a drink, does the drink take you? And can you on your own power not take that drink? Really kind of takes all the high drama out of it doesn't it?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I think the reason why people are hesitant to tell the amount per day or so is because they don't want anyone reading this to think, "Hey, I don't/didn't drink NEARLY that much...I don't have a problem." I'll tell you, some of the amounts I've heard about would kill me if I drank it. I was tempted to convince myself that I didn't have a problem because the amount I drank wasn't quite as "bad". All I had to do was take an honest look at my life. My addiction has gotten me into a pretty crappy situation. I want out.

It really does not matter how much one drank or currently drinks. Is alcohol running your life? Is alcohol hurting your physical and mental well-being? Do you believe that alcohol is causing problems in your life? Do you want to stop drinking? Those questions, in my opinion, are the ones that matter most.